Forum:

Thread: Allergies and a hoarse voice?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Allergies and a hoarse voice?

A few days before returning to college, I began to get very itchy eyes, an itchy nose/sneezing, and an extremely itchy throat (towards the back, and the roof of the mouth, just above and behind the tonsils...that area). I noted that I had the same symptoms last year, and I've chalked it up to an allergy to pollen from the trees and fall grasses.

I went back to my uni last saturday (8/21), and it's gotten much worse, because my school is nestled in woodlands where goldenrod, tall grasses and trees are in abundance. The air is also very dry (40% to 60% humidity today)

On top of the itchy eyes, the sneezing and itchy nose, and the horribly itchy throat, I have developed a post nasal drip which further irritates my throat. The itching in my throat gets so bad that I use my tongue to try and itch. This seems to cause more of the post nasal drip and encourages a dry cough. I've also noticed that my voice gets hoarse on occasion, and I have to drink water to improve it.

Where is this hoarseness coming from? Is it because I've used my tongue to try and itch at my scratchy, irritated throat? Is it the post nasal drip? Does anyone else suffer this? It's terribly bothersome. I don't have any access to allergy medicine (and because I am going to classes and work frequently, I do not want to take something that would make me drowsy), so is there any other possible way to relieve this??
    Go big or go home!

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try some lemon juice and honey in warm/hot water or added to tea.
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll try that and see how it works. It's just mega-bothersome, especially when you're trying to focus on Anthropology and you keep sneezing so much that you whack your head against a notebook and have to sit in the way back of the classroom!
    Go big or go home!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where is this hoarseness coming from?
    It is caused by the dry throat. The more you cough the more inflamed the throat becomes, I get the dry cough a lot as well. The only thing to cure this is time and liquids. That does not mean drinking gallons of water a day, it just means keeping a water bottle close by and maybe drinking a few of those a day. Your throat needs to heal the damaged and irritated cells and that does not happen automatically.

I do not want to take something that would make me drowsy), so is there any other possible way to relieve this??
    Because your symptoms are clearly allergy related you can find some OTC allergy medications that are in fact non-drowsy. Some include Benedryl, Reactine, Allegra, Claritin, Alavert, and a bunch of generic "no name" antihistamine brands. Many last 12-24 hrs so you would not need to worry about taking them every few hours either. You can also ask a pharmacist as they will likely know of a bunch more.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

WH Super Moderator Array caterpillar79's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I usually get that, too. I make some Ginger tea, using fresh ginger and just boil it over and over and then once it's ready, I sweeten it lightly with real honey. Also, I usually get Claritin non-drowsy. I also drink a little bit of water every after I cough to moisten my throat. And most of all, sleep more.
    What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility. - Leo Tolstoy

The clearest explanation for failure of any marriage is that two people are incompatible; that is, one is male and the other female. - Anna Quindlen

Register! | Rules/FAQ |Contact Mod| Contact Admin