Forum:

Thread: Itchy Red Welts Along The Panty Line - Latex Allergy?

Default Itchy Red Welts Along The Panty Line - Latex Allergy?

(A post on behalf of my mother A little while ago I started wearing a new pack of Hanes (this problem also happens with Fruit of the Loom) panties, the new no ride up kind, for several hours I was fine but then it started to itch, I noticed a red welt that was itchy but no bumps, or pus.

I decided to try and move the waist of the panties down to see if the welt would go away and a new welt appeared in the new area. I'm at a lost because I'm 49 and panties have never bothered me before in any way. EVER. I'm thinking it has something to do with the new no ride up factor, maybe something in the elastic is causing it?

These welts disappear after I remove my underwear relatively quickly, but I can't not wear anything for the rest of my life. I'm hesitant to buy anymore underwear until I know what's causing the welts.
    How mature a person is, is not determined by the number of years they've graced or disgraced this earth;
    but by the difficulties of the experiences they've lived through.
    Age is just a number.

Banned from WH Array

Adult onset allergies can happen to anyone...at any age.

You may have developed one or more allergies recently.

It seems likely that it could be a latex allergy...if you are sure that it's latex. Just be cause it's stretchy and goes around your waist or leg openings does not mean it's latex. It probably is, but it could be something else.

I would contact the manufacturer directly. It will take several calls to get past the $8.00/hr booger picker who regirgitates the script that's in front of them, in order to get to someone that actually can answer your question. It sounds like it's worth the effort.

It's also helpful to wash underwear in HOT water BEFORE you wear them the first time to wash out all of the chemicals ("sizing") that is put into so many items to improve their look and feel.

Items of clothing are LOADED with chemicals to improve their look and feel on the store shelves that we should not be exposing our bodies to. And the more the manufacturing market expands to cheaper labor markets around the world, the worse it's going to get.

Junior Member Array

Hi, how are you? I hope everything's well now. If you are still experiencing having welts, you might want to switch to underwear and clothes made of organic cotton since those made from conventional cotton has lots of chemicals that might not have reacted well with your skin. I recommend Cottonique as I have used that personally and found it to be great. No welts appeared ever since. Just search for them on Google and you will be redirected to their website/ online shop. Good luck!

VIP Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Exphailure View Post
    (A post on behalf of my mother A little while ago I started wearing a new pack of Hanes (this problem also happens with Fruit of the Loom) panties, the new no ride up kind, for several hours I was fine but then it started to itch, I noticed a red welt that was itchy but no bumps, or pus.

I decided to try and move the waist of the panties down to see if the welt would go away and a new welt appeared in the new area. I'm at a lost because I'm 49 and panties have never bothered me before in any way. EVER. I'm thinking it has something to do with the new no ride up factor, maybe something in the elastic is causing it?

These welts disappear after I remove my underwear relatively quickly, but I can't not wear anything for the rest of my life. I'm hesitant to buy anymore underwear until I know what's causing the welts.
    Hi Exphailure,
    Like other poster's I agree, cotton underwear is ideal for this allergy.
    Be careful as a more advanced allergy can occur, if swelling around lips go to emergency care right away please as monitoring needs to be carried out and observation should be initiated.
    Take care
    Kate

Junior Member Array

It could very well be. Latex allergies are VERY common. It could just be from rubbing too.