Forum:

Thread: Swollen After Bee Sting

November 2011 Poster of the Month Array
    Blog Entries

Default Swollen After Bee Sting

How long does a personal normally stay swollen after being stung by a bee? I was stung between the pinky and ring finger on my right hand on Saturday, it is now Monday and it is still very swollen and its itchy and painful. How long does this normally last?

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can be a couple of days. Depends on how your immune system decides to react. Some are stung, get the welt swelling and pain, then it subsides within an hour or two. Some are more sensitive to the actual poison in the bee sting and they will be affected for longer. At times a person can have a mild allergic reaction and the symptoms last longer because the body is having a more difficult time dealing with it. It is not really a concern unless it persists for much longer. Keep icing it to reduce the swelling and take some Ibuprofen.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

jns
    Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array jns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardb63 View Post
    How long does a personal normally stay swollen after being stung by a bee? I was stung between the pinky and ring finger on my right hand on Saturday, it is now Monday and it is still very swollen and its itchy and painful. How long does this normally last?
    I am highly allergic to specifically yellow jackets. Two stings to my leg in high school caused my whole leg to swell, fever and become hard. I missed the first week of my Senior year and the school inquired as to if I had dropped out. Three or four stings may have killed me.

Swelling, itchiness and pain can be a symptom to an allergic reaction (especially the itchiness). Go to a doctor if the swelling is extreme as it could cut off circulation. Otherwise, icing by ice water, wrapped ice, or a wrapped cold pack could help reduce swelling and the pain killer could help with the pain.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

Patrick Henry

November 2011 Poster of the Month Array
    Blog Entries

Okay, thanks! It is still really itchy and swollen, but not AS swollen as yesterday. I actually found that putting toothpaste on it makes the itching stop. The coolness and tingling helps. Since the swelling has gone down a little I am hoping it is just slowly going away. I have been stung by wasps before, and never had this bad of a reaction, but this was a bee. So maybe I am just more "allergic" to their poison than wasps.

Junior Member Array

how soon after this got better? My husband got stung yesterday in between his fingers too and today his hand began to swell.

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array chaya's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardb63 View Post
    Okay, thanks! It is still really itchy and swollen, but not AS swollen as yesterday. I actually found that putting toothpaste on it makes the itching stop. The coolness and tingling helps. Since the swelling has gone down a little I am hoping it is just slowly going away. I have been stung by wasps before, and never had this bad of a reaction, but this was a bee. So maybe I am just more "allergic" to their poison than wasps.
    OTC Benadryl should help with the itching and swelling. Also, elevating the arm will help with the swelling.

Do not miss the opportunity of offering
    even a single drop into the ocean of merit or
    a grain atop the mountain of the roots of beneficial activity.