Forum:

Thread: disappearing eye-makeup

Unhappy disappearing eye-makeup

i typically don't wear makeup. but occasionally i will put on mascara, eyeliner, and eyeshadow. but by the end of the night it looks like i didn't . i don't wipe it off, it seems as though my eyes water too much?
    i kinda like the dark, emo, smokey eyes but i can't get it dark enough.
    my eyeshadow ends up with creases (any tips on how to prevent that?)
    and my eyeliner disappears... which type of eyeliner do you recommend?
    also are there any specific tecniques?

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

Wish I could help, my eyemakeup always vanishes too, and all the liner and mascera seem to form one ugly goop thing in the corner that I never notice is there until after it has been there all night.

I'm currently residing in St. Louis, Missouri...... help hehe

Well, what I would do about creasing and shadow wearing off is getting something called a "shadow magnet". A lot of companies make these but they're expensive so what I do is get a little something called a concealer stick, I'm sure you've heard of it ^.^ Take a bit of that smoothed over the lid, do your makeup, and then take a colorless powder and dab over it. If your eyes water too much, make waterproof mascara and eyeliner your friends. Another thing is maintenance, if it's a special enough night that you want to wear makeup, give it a little look see every once in a while through the evening. When it comes to brands and whatnot, just look for anything waterproof or "long lasting". Hope this helps!!!

Mrs. Hassinger

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Everyone's skin is different and make ups are different. Using a good quality product can make a difference. Why not go into a store that has actual skin care and cosmetics counters with trained people (I like Origins because they don't use all the nasty bad for you chemicals) and have them do your make up? They can tell you what you need to do. I don't always like the way they do it (dislike foundation and they always put it on me) but you can learn from them. You may need a light powder to apply before you apply your eye make up. Keep experiementing

Junior Member Array

I usually put a light application of face powder on my eyes before I apply any eye make-up and this seems to encourage the eye make-up to stick around a bit longer than normal. I wish I could say that it lasts all night, but it lasts for a good few hours. I think the basic idea is that it gives the eyeliner or eye shadow something to stick to so that it's less likely to slide off elsewhere.

Other than that, some make-up primer is supposed to be a good bet, but this tends to be quite expensive. It's the same idea as the powder in that it gives your eye make-up something to stick to but I'd say that face powder is the cheaper alternative and works ok for me.

I use Maybelline mascara and sometimes Bourjois. Both of them seem to come off less quickly than the cheaper brands but you might still have the same problem if it's because your eyes water a lot. Eyeshadow wise, I use the same brands. I rarely use eyeliner as I went through a phase of buying Rimmel stuff as it was cheap, but it didn't even last for two hours. That totally put me off eyeliner, but I'm sure there are better brands out there!

For creases, is it an application problem? I often find that I have to spend a few extra minutes going back over the eye shadow to make sure that it's properly applied. I know some eye shadows crease more easily though but my more expensive make-up items seem better in that respect. My cheap eye shadows crease like mad though!

The ladies above have the same suggestions I would, however I do have a suggestion as far as eyeliner goes. I've always had difficulty with eyeliner rubbing off/smudging etc - so i've given up on pencils all together. day to day I wear maybelline lineworks waterproof liquid eyeliner. It takes a bit to get used to, but again - theres no way i'd switch back to a pencil. it just wont stay! If i'm feeling like spending a little more time and going for a more natural look (the liquid can create a harsher line than a pencil if youre not careful), I LOVE Smashbox Jetset dark brown waterproof eyeliner. you do need an eyeliner pencil to apply it though. I suggest the Smashbox arced eyeliner brush #21. this product creates a beautiful, more natural line that stays for ages! hope this helps

oh! and as far as creasing goes - I do apply my foundation all over my face (even eyelids) - and i've found that The Body Shop has awesome eyeshadows that never seem to crease. (i'm addicted to the shimmer waves (03 peach). They also double as a 'glow enhancer' if you use a blush brush and apply it to your cheek bones etc).

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by snowangels2 View Post
    I've always had difficulty with eyeliner rubbing off/smudging etc - so i've given up on pencils all together. day to day I wear maybelline lineworks waterproof liquid eyeliner. It takes a bit to get used to, but again - theres no way i'd switch back to a pencil. it just wont stay!
    That's been my problem too. I absolutely will not use eyeliner pencils now as they rub off in less than an hour!

I've never got to grips with liquid eyeliner and always look more than a bit dodgy after trying so if I want to create that kind of effect, I'll just use eye shadow underneath my eyes to get a more dramatic look. If you find an eye shadow that doesn't come off as easily, it should stay on and not leaving you looking like a panda!

Junior Member Array TheMakeupSnob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmani View Post
    i typically don't wear makeup. but occasionally i will put on mascara, eyeliner, and eyeshadow. but by the end of the night it looks like i didn't . i don't wipe it off, it seems as though my eyes water too much?
    i kinda like the dark, emo, smokey eyes but i can't get it dark enough.
    my eyeshadow ends up with creases (any tips on how to prevent that?)
    and my eyeliner disappears... which type of eyeliner do you recommend?
    also are there any specific tecniques?
    You definitely need a base. A base sits on top of your skin and in turn your eye makeup sits on top of it. It really helps to avoid creasing, smudging etc. A great base would be a mac paintpot, loreal hip has some paints. Some people even use concelour, but imo doesnt work as well. you have to remember with your shadows you get what you pay for. your gonna get alot more pigmentation with loreal or revlon than with 1.00 shadows. The base will also help the shadows look at more true to color.

I use the shadow magnet primer I buy it online from bee luscious cosmetics it has worked really well for me and I have it over a year and I still have not hit pan. I use it daily 6 days per week.