Junior Member Array

Default Adiana Permanent Contraception

What are peoples thoughts on the Adiana permanent contraception device

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array Ahryin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never even heard of it
    Everything I'm not makes me Everything I am

Junior Member Array

its a new permanent contraception that was recently approved by the fda. its going to be the competition for the essure device.....
    Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 07-31-2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: advertising

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd like to remind posters to read the rules. Spam is not allowed. You can't promote products here and this is sounding like an advert.

Junior Member Array

I have heard of it. I was researching Essure and someone had mentioned Adiana. The inserts are supposed to be made of medical grade silicone which seems in my opinion more appealing. But back when I was researching it, it was not available in the US. I think it's now approved though? Anyhow, I am wondering if it will be offered in a clinic near me, if my insurance will cover it and most importantly, if it's really safe and effective. Hopefully yes to all that, because I have a bad history with birth control pills and my husband and I use condoms. I really want to be able to have that freedom this is supposed to offer....Hormone free. Has anyone had it done and what are your experiences? Thanks.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

Adiana has been approved by the FDA but Conceptus the maker of essure metal coils filed an injunction against Adiana in May 2009 for patent infringement. Conceptus seeks to keep Adiana from being marketed. I'm wondering if they are close to getting that worked out because of all the activity on the various forums by the company reps. Yes ladies the company reps do post on the forums in order to get the word out about their product. I know I'll get hammered for saying that but unfortunately it is true.

I've looked at Adiana because of the problems some of us have had with the essure metal coils. There are some better things about this product. You can have other procedures done with it. I just would caution anyone considering this procedure to research. The product was originally thought to be approved over a year ago but the FDA had concerns about the number of pregnancys in the clinical trials. The FDA made the company monitor the women who didn't become pregnant another year before allowing them approval. Just my opinion but if they had too many pregnancys to start with how did following the other women who didn't get pregnant another year make the product more effective. It still has all the if factors. If they can place them, if they stay in place and if the tubes occlude. The HSG test is still required as a follow up to make sure tubes occlude. Research, research and should you decide on either procedure make sure that you can afford to have the follow up test should you lose your insurance because without it you have no legal recourse should you become pregnant or have problems later on. Make sure you are comfortable with having a procedure that might be very painful and find out they couldn't place one of them or both. Make sure that you are comfortable with the possibility that your tubes won't occlude and most of all make sure you are comfortable with the possibility of having to undergo major surgery to remove them should you have problems. Also realize that it will cost you additional money if they don't work or if you have to have surgery to remove them

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a lot of what ifs

Junior Member Array

Hi - i am new to this site so please be kind!! I have decided to look at something permanent - had enough of my IUD and Husband doesn’t like the idea of the Snip - so i talked with my GP about something permanent - he discussed Essure and Adiana with me - i asked him which one was the best and which one he would have (obviously he wasn’t going to have one) he pulled the data up on both options and the thing that shocked me the most was failure rates - if i opted for a Lap tubal there is 1 in 200 chance of becoming pregnant, not happy with that there is a 1 in 1000 risk with Essure and wait for it 1 in 55 risk with Adiana OMG why do the regulatory authorities allow such a device on the market with this kind of failure rate???? i printed out some of the posts on Essure and took them in to him and he basically said that there is a risk with anything it is just weighing up that risk for yourself - so based on those odds and hubby refusing to have a snip i am going to opt for Essure - wish me luck and i will let you know how i get on

Junior Member Array

Well - I had the operation on Friday, i was awake and felt a little discomfort but apart from that it was a walk in the Park - i cant beleive it was so quick, i had cancelled plans to go out on saturday but felt so good we went out - people knock the NHS but i am really impressed by their skill and willingness to help, i have been told to use contreception for 3 months and then go back for an x-ray or ultrasound to check that the Essure has done its Job - which fingers cross it has - the Surgeon who did it had just come back from a meeting in spain and was discussing success rates etc and he said that the adiana wa spresented by a Top European surgeon who had done something like a 100 adianas and already had 3 pateints pregnant - so glad i didnt opt for that one - he said that nobody is doing adiana here in the UK - i reckon the surgeons know best - anyway let you know in 3 months bye for now

Junior Member Array

From what I've read online in medical journals, the Adiana procedure has is less effective in preventing pregnancies after 3 months of scarring. In studies it proven that Adiana does not show up on xrays. (FDA had a difficult time approving their technology because of key issues in their studies).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast