Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth Control For 18 Year Old Daughter????

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Theresa's Avatar

Default Birth Control For 18 Year Old Daughter????

My 18 year old daughter is a senior in high school. She does not have a boyfriend but I am thinking I should start her on birth control just in case.

I was wondering if anybody had any idea of what kind of birth control would be good for her. She is not the most responsible person and I am thinking that a daily pill would not be good for her. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If she is anything like her mother once she starts having sex she will like.

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sit her down and have a chat? Does she have any interest in being on bc? Explain that if you are old enough to have a sexual relationship you have to be responsible enough to remember to correctly use the bc and that there are no "do overs" with this.
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

Yes, talk to her first about what she is feeling about sex, men, BC, sexual health, etc. Get a feeling for where she is in her mind first before going further with helping her get on some form on BC.

I would suggest having your daughter talk to either her family physician or gyoncologist, or go to a clinic like planned parenthood and talk to a Dr there about the different options of BC, the methods, side affects, sexual responsibility, etc. She may want you there with her, or maybe not - being 18yo, that is her choice. There are a LOT of options out there for women to use, and many are not an every day requirement like the pill. Although, it should also be made VERY VERY CLEAR that most of the long-term BC like the ring/shot/implant DO NOT PROTECT AGAINST SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES. Even if she would go on something to prevent pregnancy, she should still use a contraceptive that will protect her against STDs!
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have talked to her about it many times and have told her when she is ready she should come and talk to me. However she desperately wants a boyfriend and I am afraid that she would do something "in the heat of the moment" and I want her to be prepared.

She is a very care-free girl and doesn't think about the what could happen. No offense WC but she is a bit of a wild child.

I think I will take her to the local clinic. They are very good at "the talk". Sometimes it is better to hear it from somebody else.

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

ah, yes... to be 18 and have that kind of crazy carefree mindset again... The clinic will have TONS of info for her, that's where I got most of my information from when I started looking at BC options too...

I would hope that she wouldn't do something sexual with a man just so she could have a boyfriend, that would be something to have the Dr. speak with her about as well - sexual responsibility!

its great to hear that you have a close relationship with your daughter and are able to have those important conversations with her! Some young women are not so lucky...
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by KMonte85 View Post
    ah, yes... to be 18 and have that kind of crazy carefree mindset again... The clinic will have TONS of info for her, that's where I got most of my information from when I started looking at BC options too...

I would hope that she wouldn't do something sexual with a man just so she could have a boyfriend, that would be something to have the Dr. speak with her about as well - sexual responsibility!

its great to hear that you have a close relationship with your daughter and are able to have those important conversations with her! Some young women are not so lucky...

Unfortunately I think she would have sex with a boy in hopes that he would be her boyfriend. That is one of the reasons she does not have one. She tries too hard and the boys get scared and run the other way.

We are very close and talk about everything. That is good but in some ways it is not. There are a few things a mom shouldn't know but I do.

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

She is a very care-free girl and doesn't think about the what could happen. No offense WC but she is a bit of a wild child.

I think I will take her to the local clinic. They are very good at "the talk". Sometimes it is better to hear it from somebody else.
    LOL no offense possible.
    You are right, rather like men, if they hear it from you teens don't always listen but from someone else, they listen.
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

Well I have a 19 year old son and a almost 10 year old daughter..... so I can relate to having a teenager and I've been trying to brace myself for what I'll do in a couple years with her. My first instinct when I read the OP was that I'd take my DD for the shot..... I wouldn't want her do the pill, I'd rather have her get the shot and then talk to her about also using condoms Good luck with your decision (((HUGS)))

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    Well I have a 19 year old son and a almost 10 year old daughter..... so I can relate to having a teenager and I've been trying to brace myself for what I'll do in a couple years with her. My first instinct when I read the OP was that I'd take my DD for the shot..... I wouldn't want her do the pill, I'd rather have her get the shot and then talk to her about also using condoms Good luck with your decision (((HUGS)))
    I was thinking about the shot so I know it would be taken care of but I don't know anything about it so I will have to look into it.

I had my first daughter when I was 20 and I know it will change a persons life. I love her to death and now have 2 beautiful grandchildren but it did change my life and don't want that for my 18 year old. I want her to have the time of her life as a young adult and not to have to worry about a child.

Kids will be kids but thinking that it won't happen is not being a responsible parent. We need to protect them as long as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    I was thinking about the shot so I know it would be taken care of but I don't know anything about it so I will have to look into it.

I had my first daughter when I was 20 and I know it will change a persons life. I love her to death and now have 2 beautiful grandchildren but it did change my life and don't want that for my 18 year old. I want her to have the time of her life as a young adult and not to have to worry about a child.

Kids will be kids but thinking that it won't happen is not being a responsible parent. We need to protect them as long as we can.
    Girl I hear you there! I had my oldest son when I was just 16! I will do whatever I can to make sure my DD doesn't fall in my footsteps and she lives her youth to the fullest. I don't know much about the shot either. I have several girls in the office who do it on a regular basis and seem to swear by it. Thats all I know though. I'd have to do more research myself. How about take her to the gyno and you guys have a talk with the DR. about her options?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast