Forum:

Thread: Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and Depression

Junior Member Array

Default Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and Depression

I have some depression issues already and this is my first month Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and I am even worse. I am anxious, moody, irritable and just depressed.

Anyone else have this issue with Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo?

What pills do people with depression take?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Yazwoman's Avatar

Hintoflime:

I had the same thing happen to me when I tried it. The first month it was awful but I was told to stick to it for the first three months. It was terrible, I felt awful, emotionless, apathetic. In short, really depressed and didn't want to move off the couch or do anything. I have a feeling there was too much estrogen in it (even though when I look at the website now it's only 25mg! Did they lower it? I thought it was 30.) Anyways, if it continues for three months I'd suggest something with a lower dose of estrogen perhaps. I've been doing ok with Yaz , but if you are afraid of all the negative press and such, there is Losterin Fe, and a few other pills that are 20 mg of estrogen that might help.
    ~YW~
    Just your average, everyday, psycho Goddess

----
    “..Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace... but we would be hollow... Empty rooms shuttered and dank. Without passion we'd be truly dead.” -Joss Whedon

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

Looking back on things, I do think I was moodier when I was on ANY hormonal pill.

I'm a strong supporter of the copper IUD. No hormones, no remembering to take pills, nothing. And it's just as effective. Maybe you can give it some consideration.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Yazwoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mes_T View Post
    Looking back on things, I do think I was moodier when I was on ANY hormonal pill.

I'm a strong supporter of the copper IUD. No hormones, no remembering to take pills, nothing. And it's just as effective. Maybe you can give it some consideration.
    Side note to Mes:
    IUD Prolly wouldn't work for me, I'm allergic to almost everything on the planet. (I'm allergic to nickel, and possibly copper (not 100% sure on that, but it's very possible, depending on what is mixed in with the copper.) Bah!
    ~YW~
    Just your average, everyday, psycho Goddess

----
    “..Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace... but we would be hollow... Empty rooms shuttered and dank. Without passion we'd be truly dead.” -Joss Whedon

Junior Member Array

I have considered the IUD but it really freaks me out. I haven't completely discounted though.

I just got my refill of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, so I am going to give it one more month, I have an appointment anyways because my doctor wants to know if I am doing well on it or not.

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

Yazwoman, ahh I see, well there's always the hormonal IUD without copper. I'm not as informed about that one though.

hintoflime, the IUD's not any more dangerous that other methods, and is the preferred birth control method in many countries. Of course if you don't know of anyone who's had it, it can seem a bit out there, but wouldn't hurt to at least hear your doc's opinions during your next visit.

In any case if you continue to have these side effects, at least try a different pill.