Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can I have sex without condom on my VERY first day on the pill?

Junior Member Array

Default can I have sex without condom on my VERY first day on the pill?

This is my first time using birth control pills, I'm going to be using the Yasmin Pill.

I will start the pill on the first day of my period (lets say for example 1st May at 10am). Can I then have sex with my boyfriend on the night of the 1st May without him using a condom and can he ejaculate inside me?

I've seen so many things on the internet just saying "if you start using the pill on the first day of your period you don't need to you other forms of contraception". But im just worried because this is my FIRST ever time using the pills, so should my boyfriend still use a condom for the first day of my pill taking? or the first week?

Thank you.

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, you need to use backup for 30 days. Don't take the chance.

Welcome to the forum!
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Junior Member Array

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Is this because the pill is new to my system??

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes and it will take some time for the hormones to build up in your body.

There is obvious discrepancy over how long you can wait to have sex without a condom when starting the pill. I've read as little as 7 days, but Dr's have always told me 30. I would error on the side of caution and go 30 days. Better safe than pregnant, if that's not what you are looking for.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array eleni's Avatar

you dont **have** to use other forms of contraception
    its unlikely that you will get pregnant if you take it on the first day of your period
    but its so much better to be safe than sorry!

i think thirty days is slightly excessive, i dont mean to be disrespectful. everyone i know has been told seven days if you dont take it on the first day of your period.

what does your doctor say about it?
    x
    'so why care for these petty obsessions? your designer heart still beats with common blood. and what if you could have genetic perfection? would you change who you are if you could?'

Junior Member Array

Thank you.

Its just that I was reading things like "if you take the pill on the first day of your period, you are protected from pregnancy immediately" or "straight away", as if to say you could have sex the same night without any other form of protection.

however I also saw many "you should use other forms of contraception (e.g condom) for the first 7 days or Month IF you dont start the pill on the first day of the cycle".

I plan to start on the very first day and so with what I was reading i assumed i would be protected literally within the next few hours or at least the next day.

Junior Member Array

I quote :

"Ideally, you should start taking this pill on day one of your menstrual cycle (the first day of your period). This will protect you from pregnancy immediately and you won't need to use any additional methods of contraception. "

But it does seem a bit magical how is can protect immediately.. the same day??

I really dont know what to do, as I know my boyfriend should and probably will use a condom, but if it all these quotes are true, I dont see why he should have to wear one.

Birth control meds have improved, but they still primarily work the same way they always have. They maintain a hormone level in your body that tricks it into thinking that you are pregnant. It likely does take the body a while to stabilize the hormone level, and coordinating the pill with the 1st day of your cycle may not be as simple as you think. (Once you have been on the pill for a month, it becomes more straight forward.) So I think it comes down to why you are taking the pill in the first place... to keep from getting pregnant, right? So if you want to be safe, I would recomment using an alternative means of birth control for the first 30 days. After that, you should be able to ride bareback with confidence.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array eleni's Avatar

okay im not a doctor but basically the theory goes a little like this -

your body releases and egg every month
    in order for the egg to be fertilized you have to have sex and a sperm needs to make it to said egg.
    in preparation for this the lining of your womb thickens in order to accomodate the baby and keep it safe/nourished etc.

if the egg is **not** fertilized your body gets rid of the egg
    and also the womb lining
    which comes as a period.

during your period while it is **possible** to get pregnant
    it is very unlikely since the period itself is the egg/womb lining coming out in order to start the whole cycle again.

if you take the pill it interferes with this whole process
    by stopping your body from releasing an egg because it thinks that it is already pregnant and so there is no reason to release another.
    which means that even if you have sex there is nothing for the sperm to attach itself to.
    depending on what pill you take it can also cause the cervical mucous to thicken making it harder for the sperm to get into the womb.

if you arent on your period it will take time for the hormones to do the same thing as being on your period does.
    thats why you have to wait seven days.

as long as you take it religiously you should be fine.

x
    Last edited by eleni; 04-06-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: edited - left out a crucial bit.
    'so why care for these petty obsessions? your designer heart still beats with common blood. and what if you could have genetic perfection? would you change who you are if you could?'

Junior Member Array

Well to be honest, yeah I will start to use the Pill to protect myself further but to also give my boyfriend the chance to have sex without using a condom, and I was happy to see it would work straight away if used on the first day on my period but of course nothing is that straight forward so I thought I would seek some advice before we make any big mistakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast