Forum:

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LPero

Thread: Can coming off pill cause ovarian cyst?

Junior Member Array

Default Can coming off pill cause ovarian cyst?

Hi there
    I am new to this site and hope this question has not been repeated, I cannot find a similar question in the forums.
    I was on the pill for around 3 years (Marvelon) and got off it around a month ago. Within a few days I got my period which was normal. About a week ago (2 weeks after my period ended) I started to get a pain in my lower left abdomen. It has been on and off pain/discomfort. Turns out I have a cyst on my left ovary. Now I have been reading all the scary stories that they burst and there is an incredible amount of pain etc (which have made me incredibly worried), but my question is, can the pill stuff up your hormones to the point where your body will produce too much of a hormone etc and cause a cyst?
    I did ask my dr this question but he is so pro-pill that he believes it is good for your body (?!), so his answer was useless and biased. He did say that my body may be producing more oestrogen whilst it gets back to normal.
    I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Lady V likes this.

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

**rolling eyes** Totally amazing to me how OBGYNS never NEVER (or at least in my experience) want to acknowledge the severe side effects caused from birth control.

It's not the pill that has caused the cyst. It's the fact that while ON the pill you didn't ovulate, and when you came off the pill your body attempted to ovulate and instead formed a cyst. Yes, they're painful, I know exactly what you're talking about. Some are worse than others. Most of them go away on their own after a week or so. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Now, if you continue to get cysts regularly, you'll definitely want to let your doctor know. And if being back on BC is not what you want, don't let him talk you into it.

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."