Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missed pills, questioning being pregnant

Junior Member Array

Default Missed pills, questioning being pregnant

Here's what happened: I (stupidly) forgot my birth control at home when I went out of town for three days with my "almost fiance". We had unprotected sex every single one of those days, and he says he went in me (we wouldn't mind becoming pregnant, but we're not TTC either). I missed 3 pills from the third week and I am on Tri-Sprintec (this is my second month on it). I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on what the chances of my being pregnant could be (high, low, etc)? I know a pregnancy test is the best choice of finding out but I can't handle the wait and it's too soon to take one.

Thanks for any helpful input

she
    Junior Member Array

Oh boy I'm glad I'm not in your position! I don't know what the statistics are but I do hoe you share your results with us either way yours turn out. I missed one pill in my first week of pills and I'm freaking out right now. My periods not due for a couple weeks

she
    Junior Member Array

PS what is TTC?

Junior Member Array

TTC stands for trying to conceive haha, but okay once I know I'll check in and let you know. As I said we wouldn't mind having a baby, but we'd prefer a wedding first.

Junior Member Array

I don't know what happened when you missed your pill, and or what type of birth control you're taking but it's said that even if you miss one pill and don't make it up you're only about 10% (with or without condom) likely to become pregnant (I learned that while doing crazy internet researching when I missed one a while back). I could be wrong, every woman is different but I wouldn't stress too much! Good luck, and wish you the best!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When you miss 3 pills in a row you need to start a new pack, says in the instructions. The pill itself is in the 98-99.xx% protection range IF taken every day at the exact same time. Missing a pill and taking it the next day does not automatically mean your setting yourself up for a pregnancy, your body still has the pill in it (just not at high concentrations). If you miss one day it may bring you down to 95% effective, which is still okay number wise but by no means a reason to think that missing a pill is fine every now and then...its not good to get into the habit of missing pills. The chances of you getting pregnant by missing a whole 3 pills goes way up though. By then the concentrations in your body are very very low to the point of it basically not even being there. From that point the chances of pregnancy are in the area of regular unprotected sex.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

If you are super worried as I bet you are I would suggest talking to your Doctor. He/she might be able to help you understand what to expect and other things. I had a hairdresser who missed one pill once and fell pregnant. She was married and thrilled. I am married and I would not be thrilled. Good luck!
    peace, love and cha cha cha!

she
    Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by ItsASecret View Post
    ...Missing a pill and taking it the next day does not automatically mean your setting yourself up for a pregnancy, your body still has the pill in it (just not at high concentrations). If you miss one day it may bring you down to 95% effective,....
    whew this actually brought a lot of relief. you know the movie with kevin bacon, i think it was called "shes having a baby"? the scene where the wife drops the pill down the sink and subsequently becomes pregnant is replaying over and over in my mind.

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

whew this actually brought a lot of relief. you know the movie with kevin bacon, i think it was called "shes having a baby"? the scene where the wife drops the pill down the sink and subsequently becomes pregnant is replaying over and over in my mind.
    Movies play off of a lot of things for entertainment because they have no need to make things scientifically real in order to make people laugh. However my point was that missing a pill does not automatically mean pregnancy is on the way if you have sex. Sure it is possible because the pill is not 100% effective even if it is taken every single day exactly as directed - 99.xx% is not still not 100% that is why you will always find a story of someone getting pregnant on the pill. Missing a single pill and remembering it asap just means you have thrown your body off by just a smidge which technically does increase your risk of pregnancy but it does not mean that mathematically your now pretty much pregnant.....simply not the case.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Junior Member Array

if u cant remember to take your pill you should be on something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast