Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting.

Question Spotting.

Started birth control (Generess Fe) for the first time two weeks ago.
    I always take it on time, at least within an hour of the time I take it every day (9pm). I know spotting would occur if I had missed a pill. But I haven't.
    But for the past 3 days I've been having brown discharge, or spotting, enough to stain underwear.
    I know the pill doesn't necessarily work for the first month but I had unprotected sex a week ago, and two days ago.

Is this bleeding due to pregnancy or implantation bleeding?
    Is this normal when first starting the pill?
    How would I tell if I was pregnant if I was on birth control?

Just very new to this.
    Any help would be grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As already answered in your other thread brown is simply old blood, it is normal it does happen to all women at some point.

Birth control works within a week or but doctors say as a precaution to treat that as a month by using a condom as well so that you are used to being careful in the first place. As long as you have been taking it on time like you have been then the pill is already working as it should.

Spotting is absolutely normal when you start the pill, says so in the instructions (they are long in the pill box it came in but it will answer a lot of questions), and spotting can occur at any point in the cycle meaning active pills or placebos. It can also occur for up to 3 months or more as your body is still getting used to seeing the pill there. Everything you are experiencing is normal, it does not mean you are pregnant. Another thing would be that missing a pill by more than the 3 hour window DOES NOT mean you will become pregnant. Getting pregnant while on the pill is extremely difficult, the pill is about 99.7% effective when taken as directed every day no missing skipping or losing pills and so on. Getting pregnant on the pill means astronomical odds were beat or the woman simply is no good at taking the pill when they should hence losing the effectiveness of being on the pill. You are taking it as you should when you should so you are taking it correctly, having a common side effect like spotting does not absolutely mean you are pregnant.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Thank You so much -- I just felt I should post another thread in birth control because I didn't really consider that part as much as when I posted the first thread. But I feel a lot better now- I guess it is just my body adjusting...

VIP Member Array

it's pretty common to get spotting or bleeding when first starting birth control pills. it will take a while for your body to adjust, probably about 3 months.
    also you're right, the pill is not necessarily effective in the first month. you'll probably have to wait until the end of the month (when your period is due) to see if you're pregnant (but you're period might not be regular since you've just started birth control). if when you first started taking the pill, you started taking the active pill within the 1st 24hours of getting your period you should be ok. if that's the case you're, probably not pregnant and the spotting is just a common side effect of starting the pill

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array leahbia_83008's Avatar

if it helps any, i have been on several different birth control pills & 99% of them made me spot the first 1-3 months of use and i have never been pregnant. if you're still concerned, use a back up form of protection (condoms, spermicide, etc.) and if you don't get your scheduled period, take a HPT.
    "we should all start to live before we get too old. fear is stupid. so are regrets"
    marilyn monroe <3

L92
    Junior Member Array

is it normal to bleed after sex on birth control?? has this happened to anyone?

Blog Entries

Yes it is normal, it is called spotting. Bleeding after sex can also occur because you were not aroused and lubricated enough causing friction during sex and tiny tears inside your vagina which will then bleed.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

L92
    Junior Member Array

thanks for answering but this has happened twice? ive only been on birth control for a month do you still think its normal?

Blog Entries

Even more normal to be spotting if you have only been taking the pill for a month. Your body needs time to adjust and spotting can be a sign of it adjusting. Give it time.

L92
    Junior Member Array

Okay thanks a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast