Forum:

Thread: IUD Strings

Junior Member Array

Question IUD Strings

Hi all. I'm new here, but I had a bit of a strange question.

I've had the Mirena IUD for 2 years now and had very few problems. Insertion sucked cuz I've never had children, but the pain went away after a few days. I haven't had a single period since then which worried me a bit until the gyno told me it was fairly common. Problem now is that those fishing line strings seem to have developed kinks in them and they poke me in the vagina! Sometimes this can be quite painful, but it is easily remedied by going and moving them so the kinked part is no longer jabbing wherever it was jabbing. I know some have mentioned that the strings are supposed to soften over time, but this has not been the case with mine!

I've just been wondering if anyone else has a problem with this sort of thing happening and if there are any serious problems that could arise from it? I'm planning to get it out soon because I'm no longer in a monogamous (or any other) relationship, but if you were me, would you have traded the no period-no pms for the no poking?

Thanks guys!

Banned from WH Array

You can always have the string cut shorter.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array metalbudderfly's Avatar

hello,
    as sharlene stated you can have the strings recut. i had an iud for about 5 years and never had any problems with the strings poking me but they did poke my husband. well if you do opt to have it removed and still want the pleasure of having no periods then you could consider the depo shot for birth control which does in most women halt their periods all together. i used depo for many years and had no problems with it and i didn't mind not having a single period!

Junior Member Array

Default Strings poking my vagina????

I don't know if "SailingWoman" will even see this post... but i'm freaking out because i've been having some dull left-sided VAGINAL achey discomfort.... (not excruciating) - this is NOT abdominal or crampy pain this i swear is on/in the left side of my vagina.... this has been going on for over a year and just lately i'm noticing it getting more sharp and orgasms are hurting as if something is poking me inside.... the gyno checked, did an ultrasound and said everything is in place as it should be but i'm still not convinced. i'm going to see a different doctor tomorrow because after reading sailingwoman's blog about the Mirena strings kinking and poking her that seems to be what i've got going on.... yikes.... i LOVE my IUD and its saved my life in so many ways but i can't have this poking feeling any longer... its freaking me out!

Quote Originally Posted by SailingWoman View Post
    Hi all. I'm new here, but I had a bit of a strange question.

I've had the Mirena IUD for 2 years now and had very few problems. Insertion sucked cuz I've never had children, but the pain went away after a few days. I haven't had a single period since then which worried me a bit until the gyno told me it was fairly common. Problem now is that those fishing line strings seem to have developed kinks in them and they poke me in the vagina! Sometimes this can be quite painful, but it is easily remedied by going and moving them so the kinked part is no longer jabbing wherever it was jabbing. I know some have mentioned that the strings are supposed to soften over time, but this has not been the case with mine!

I've just been wondering if anyone else has a problem with this sort of thing happening and if there are any serious problems that could arise from it? I'm planning to get it out soon because I'm no longer in a monogamous (or any other) relationship, but if you were me, would you have traded the no period-no pms for the no poking?

Thanks guys!

Junior Member Array

I'm wondering if Sailing Woman's situation was alleviated by just moving the strings around or if she had to get the IUD removed?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array maz33's Avatar

Maybe you should change IUD's. I have the Nova something-or-other which is fine. I have no problems with strings poking me or anyone else!

Banned from WH Array

We dont have the Nova here in the US. We do have Paraguard which is also copper.

I had my Mirena removed for lots of reasons. It was not good for me at all.