Forum:

Thread: Throwing up after taking the Pill....

Junior Member Array

Question Throwing up after taking the Pill....

Well, the title basically says it all. I took the pill & a little bit afterwards threw up, but just a little bit, provoked by coughing. Will the pill still be effective? Any feedback would be apreciated

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela22 View Post
    Well, the title basically says it all. I took the pill & a little bit afterwards threw up, but just a little bit, provoked by coughing. Will the pill still be effective? Any feedback would be apreciated
    You need to eat something before you take the pill. Pills simulate some pregancy symtoms so you want ovulate. If you through up the pill you need to use backup protection.

Banned from WH Array

I physically vomit from the hornmones with food or not. I can not take hormones by mouth

December 2007 "Poster of the Month" Array

Hi Pamela22.

If you've been taking your pills consistantly for a while (more than one or two weeks) and your coughing incident is unusual for you, possibly related to a cold, then you probably have enough hormones built up to protect you. But if you're saying that the pills make you sick to your stomach, then you should talk to your doctor about changing the dose or type of pills that you use. Either way, every woman is different, so talk to your doctor about what happened.

Junior Member Array

When I tried the patch, every time I put a new one on, the next morning I would be sick as . They told me it was the amount of estrogen going directly into my system. My body couldn't take it so they gave me a low hormone pill until I decided what I wanted to do. I'm on the nuvaring now and love it.
    As far as the effectiveness of the pill after throwing up, I don't really know but I'm guessing that if you threw up within about a 1/2hour of taking it, that you probably did throw it up.

VIP Member Array

Hi Pamela,
    If did vomit be careful, use extra protection like condom as maybe pill did not absorb into your system.
    So better to be safe, if feel sick or choke try eating a biscuit after will stop your body reaction.
    As some people don't like taking medications.
    Take care
    Kate

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array

Oftentimes just changing the time of day you take the pill can keep you from throwing it up. Me, my sister, and my mom could not start taking the pill in the evening. We all had to start in the morning and if we wanted to take it in the evening slowly work towards that by taking it a little later each day.

I agree if you've been taking the pill for awhile and this is a random incident you are probably fine. If it's one of the first few pills you've taken you should use a backup method.