Forum:

Thread: Cardio v. Toning

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array kygirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Talking Cardio v. Toning

So I feel like I really want to lose 10 lbs so I can feel good in my clothes for summer. BUT I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the debate that seems to go on... Cardio or weights??

I don't have time to invest right now to do both as much cardio as I want and as much toning as I want... My thought is that the next two weeks since it's warming up and I should start having a bit more spare time with spring break around the corner that I should just get out and do as much walking and jogging as I can and try to lose 4-5 lbs and then start incorporating more toning??

Thoughts?? I feel like it's pointless to tone until I lose at least 10 lbs because you won't see it...but muscle burns more than fat...Oh the dilemia!
    If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it.
    -Andy Rooney

It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.--Noel Coward

Live your life and forget your age. --Norman Vincent Peale

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

You really have to find a way to incorperate both... at least even just a little bit. Using a stairclimber can tone your legs while still giving a cardio work out... so thats just one way to cut a corner there... at least until you have more time.

Cardio is necessary, for your heart and for weightloss, if you want to drop pounds you pretty much have do the cardio to burn fat. But if you want to look a little more tight as you drop those pounds the toning is just as essential.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array p3375's Avatar

Yep - what HD said!
    I did cardio only for years and years. Fortunately, a knee injury put a stop to running for exercise and I took up a mix of cardio (eliptical machines etc) and weight work. Resistance is so needed for bone health, muscle firmness + all-round conditioning.

You don't need much weight to start with. A couple of 5 or 10 lb dumb-bells and some info on how and what exercises to use (safety first, don't hurt yourself by using wrong form) and you're good to go.

Enjoy!!
    P

Banned from WH Array

Hi there.

If you want to lose pounds/fat quickly and don't have time to devote to both cardio and weight training....you should go with cardio and a calorie limited diet hands down.

Weight loss/fat loss has everything to do with caloric deficit....plain and simple. Cardio burns cals while you are doing it AND will promote accelerated calorie burn for the next 8 hours after you are done.

Toning has it's place. And in a perfect world, the absolute best way to lose weight/fat is to combine cardio AND weight training. The synergistic effects achieved by a combination of the two is outstanding.

But the simple fact is that a 30 minute weight training session doesn't even begin to burn as many calories as a 30 minute cardio session.

Lastly, by virtue of simply engaging in cardio activity, you will also develop a tone in your legs, butt and midsection.

Best of luck!

Blog Entries

Thanks ladies and OTYA. I did want to clarify. I am talking short term only here. I completely agree that both is best in an ideal situation, but I am looking for the best way to burn calories quickly and kind of give my metabolism a "jumpstart" after winter. Once I lose the 10 lbs (which I anticipate will take 4-5 weeks to do) I will incorporate more weights back in. I have several things more geared toward musclebuilding that I love to do, but right now I just want to lose some weight.

Also I do agree OTYA about the toning, especially of my lower half...after a couple weeks of walking/jogging, I am sure I will start to see definition in my lower section even though I'm not "targeting" that area.

Thanks everyone
    -Andy Rooney

It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.--Noel Coward

Blog Entries

Default Just an update :)

I've walked 15 miles and done a kickboxing workout in the last 7 days I also plan to do some pilates inspired abs exercises and some weights for my chest and back and arms tonight

Feeling good!! I know the weight will start melting itself off soon!

Goal for next week is 17 miles and three toning workouts! (it's Spring Break so gotta squeeze it while I can)
    -Andy Rooney

WH Super Moderator Array sourpuss's Avatar

Well done! Keep it up.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Register! | Rules/FAQ | Contact Mod

WH Super Moderator Array caterpillar79's Avatar
    Blog Entries

KY, I am proud of you!

I was told by a trainer that too much cardio without strength training could actually do you harm. It could result into a reverse: your muscle being consumed and your fat stays - reason why there are a couple of people who are always in the threadmill, no strength training still flabby.

This claim is debatable, I know, but I believe that balance between cardio and strength training (to tone) is the best way to go.

My weight is stable and is within normal range in relation to my age and height. But by following sourpuss' advise and this trainer's tips, I shed 3.5 inches on my waist; arms, legs and abs are firmer too. so, I say...way to go, KYGIRL!
    What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility. - Leo Tolstoy

The clearest explanation for failure of any marriage is that two people are incompatible; that is, one is male and the other female. - Anna Quindlen

Register! | Rules/FAQ |Contact Mod| Contact Admin

WH Super Moderator Array sourpuss's Avatar

I agree cat. When your body is hungry and need to take from itself, it's going to take the good stuff, not a bunch of fat on your bum.

A good balance of strength and cardio is ideal.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Register! | Rules/FAQ | Contact Mod