Forum:

Thread: Can you lose stomach fat during Spin Classes?

Junior Member Array

Default Can you lose stomach fat during Spin Classes?

I signed up for spin classes here at my campus gym. They have them every day and I'm going to try to go each day, but it'll probably be 4 to 5 times a week.

But I'm worried I won't lose my stomach fat from this exercise. Will I only be lose fat in my legs and ?

I want to lose my gut. :P

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

If you're exercising and not over or under eating, you're going to lose fat. Unfortunately, there really is no way to "spot" lose problem areas. The good news is, you're not just going to lose "leg fat" by cycling either. It will be more of an all-over body change. It is a great exercise and very challenging. I've gone once and thought I was going to barf! Huge amounts of calories can be burned in a one hour class!

So to answer your question, yes, spin class will help you lose your belly fat, as well as the fat in the rest of your body, all in proportion.
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

As KM said, if your diet is balanced and you are not consuming too many calories, fat and sugar, WHILE also getting enough protein and fiber and healthy fat...you should see excess fat start to shed.

The best way I've found to burn overall body fat is to jog or run. Spinning was great, but I couldn't stick with it because the bike seats they used (at the place I was going) were absolutely RIDICULOUSLY painful. My crotch and rear was in so much pain I didn't even notice the pain of the workout. haha. Hopefully your place has more humane seating.

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

That's a great point BD! Cycling shorts with a chamois in the crotch can be a godsend!!!! They may look funny, but your hiney will thank you.
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Junior Member Array

Spin class's are incredible. An hour of spin, if done correctly can leave you 700-900 calories lighter!!! It is an all over body wrk out. Just be sure to pay attention, listen to your instructor and PUSH yourself. The first couple of times it is aqkward... have them show you how to adjust your seat properly so you will be comfortable. The seat will take about 3 visits to get use to. Your butt will be sore, but you will have to learn how to sit on your sitz bone, basicly you pelvic girdle.

Engage your core at all times, adjust tension accordingly and you will be surprised!!! Stick to it, but dont relie on it as your only source of excercise. Running, treadmill, stair climb, and weights also will help you lose weight all over!!! DIET.......protein, greens, no soda, sugar or sweets. FYI: Crunches do no wride you of belly fat!!!! You can do a thousand, but you are only helping enhance the rectus sheath.... you need to lose the fat with cardio, and train your abs with crunches, lower leg lifts, lunges

December 2011 Poster of the Month Array Aeryn Sun's Avatar

Spin can be a great workout for your entire body but not just one part. Make sure the bike is set correctly for you, and you will see improvements all over. My instructor has an Ab sets and pushups that we do from time to time, It's great! You should ask your instructor, before or after if they can set it up for you.
    I have been told, and I haven't looked into it, that if you lower your handle bars, you will have to lean forward, which engages your core and therefore makes it work harder. Poke around online, you might find links that tell you the same.

Also, your sit bone area will get use to the hard seat. You can buy a cushion seat to get use to it, but over time, it doesn't cause pain. Stick with for 4-5 classes, and it won't hurt nearly as much during, or after.
    I am impelled, not to squeak like a grateful and apologetic mouse, but to roar like a lion out of pride in my profession.
    John Steinbeck

I'm a Leo, RAWR! Sun/moon/asc/venus- 1st house.

Junior Member Array

You will never lose any fat in any part of your body doing any exercise as long as your eating habits are poor. May I recommend that before embarking on a new fitness routine or program, that you first adjust your eating habits. Eating the same fatty, high caloric, empty carbs day after day will never give you the weight loss results that you desire. If you are a healthy eater and as long as you're sweating in these spin classes, than you should lose your belly fat. Any kind of high intensity workout combined with a good sweat and a nutritious and balanced diet is guaranteed to give you results! Good luck!

VIP Member Array

if you want to lose weight quick then do the treadmill in the morning on a carb depleated stomach ( water only)
    power walk uphill 30 min. ( no running)

Quote Originally Posted by donnaatthegym View Post
    if you want to lose weight quick then do the treadmill in the morning on a carb depleated stomach ( water only)
    power walk uphill 30 min. ( no running)
    I don't understand how a powerwalk for 30 minutes will help a person lose weight faster than a high intensity spin class. Could you explain that to me? In my mind, the spin class will generally be higher intesity, and will burn more calories, therefore you'll burn fat (lose weight) faster.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

a spinning class is one of the best ways to burn a lot of calories and fat. kick boxing is #1 and spinning is like #2 or 3. I read an article about the top five aerobics classes that burn the most calories and fat.