Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to running.............

Junior Member Array

Default New to running.............

Hi, I'm Charlene, and I'm hoping for a supportive forum to discuss/share our goals/success of living a healthy lifestyle.

I've always been active: hiking, cycling, gardening, aerobics, and walking. My husband and daughter have always been runners and after driving them to their latest 10K I got to thinking that I would love to start running and actually join them in a race this spring.

So I'm hoping to share some of my tips and get some good advice about running and the motivation to keep at it.

Charlene
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains........ You're lucky enough.................

Super Moderator Array acerousme's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hello Charlene, and welcome to WH! You will find a lot of very imformative threads, along with some fun and crazy topics. I hope to see you around!

ace
    The children almost broken by the world become the adults most likely to change it
    -PostSecret

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I LOVE running! I started it up again a couple of years ago!

My biggest tip... Only do what you can do and buy a good pair of running shoes!!! Pay attention to your stride and strike.

I run 5k's mostly, but I'm planning on doing a half marathon this year and am very excited for it. Just have fun with it, if it isn't fun then you will not want to do it.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

Definitely follow Lana's advice about good running shoes! That little detail will make all the difference between enjoying your run or being tormented through it.

My advice is to pace yourself! Start out slow so you don't get overwhelmed or injured, maybe look up one of those Couch to 5k (or 8k) programs (they have them free online). The programs consist of several weeks worth of progressively harder runs, and you'll be challenged but not to an extreme, and you'll be a runner keeping steady and faster pace in no time!

Watch your breathing (don't hyperventilate) and keep your shoulders dropped - they have a tendency to creep up on people when they run and the bad posture/blocked air flow can be really detrimental to a good running regime.
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

- WINNER OF THE BEST THREAD April 2011 Array Maximus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Few tips:

1. Understand why we want to start running:
    This is key to the progress as we will run into the all kinds of issues (motivation, minor injuries, fatigue, ...). A good understanding of our purpose and goals will help to overcome the issues

2. Get inputs from fellow runners, and beginners
    3. Get a medical clearance before starting
    4. Good jogging equipment: Shoes, clothing (bad clothing can lead to skin rushes, burn, ...)
    5. Evaluate your level: Running at the speed where you are still able to maintain a conversation
    6. Know yourself: Monitor your body signals, and the parts of the running less enjoyable
    7. Drink enough water
    8. Importance of stretching before and after the run
    9. Importance of recuperation after each run: Excessive running leading to injuries
    10. Having fun !
    Behold the presence of the Father in all beings...

Junior Member Array

Default Running advice?

So I've been out on the road. It's January, but you'd never know it by the temps and the bare roads, so I've been taking advantage of this.

A couple of places I'm still looking for help:

Bras: I bought a sports bra, but I feel completely suffocated wearing one. But my regular bra keeps slipping off my shoulders and this drives me completely mad. Are there any sports bras that don't bind? Or are they all like that? I understand the purpose of the bra, but it is so constrictive that it is interfering with my breathing.

Shoes: I've been to three stores (all chain) and the staff is either uninterested in helping me or so dismissive that I just sit by myself and try on shoe after shoe not quite sure what the difference is. The tightness across the widest part of my foot and the price seem to be the only differences I can find. What am I looking for? My daughter buys a running shoe a size larger than she usually wears, though my husband wears the same size. My daughter uses a running shoe with little support and my husband swears by more support. I just don't want to put down $100 + on a pair and find out they don't work for me or that I really didn't need to spend that amount to get the best pair.

Is it really trial and error?

I'm starting slow and finding the only issues thus far are sore ankles and sometimes a stabbing pain on the side of my knee when going downhill. When I feel the tightness start in my knee I back off, but I can't continue to walk down hills. Maybe this is just a matter of delevoping stronger quads.

Slow and steady is what I've learned from my daughter, though it's hard on a day when you feel like you can keep running. This is probably the best advice I've gotten.

CK
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains........ You're lucky enough.................

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I LOVE Champion sports bras!!! They have different support depending on what you are looking for. I like the high support ones they have to keep the "girls" under control and it does the job. Check out their website.

Shoes... It really is trial and error... However, I will never buy any running shoes other than Asics. They are amazing! They are a little on the wider side, so plenty of room and you can get a really good pair for not a lot of money. My husband always swore by Nike's and was constantly having issues. I talked him into a pair of Asics and he will never go back he says. And if you can find a running specific store, they are more inclined to help and know what they are talking about. The have the knowledge of studying your strike, stride, etc and can give great recommendations.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

Yeah, a lot of the big chain stores don't really hire anybody that knows much about the products they sell. So I'm not surprised you didn't get much help in your search for good running shoes. Try going to a store that is specific to running, around my area we have a small chain of stores called Performance Running Outfitters. They work one on one with you, learning about your your needs, your feet, and your stride to give you the best footwear option for you. Worth a shot if it is something you're serious about! Also, a lot of these "specialty" stores carry a guarantee, so if you buy the shoe they suggest for you and it doesn't work, you can return it within a reasonable amount of time (I'm thinking 60 days for Performance Outfitters, but not 100% sure on that).

As for bras, I have to agree with Lana that Champions are great and very reasonably priced. A bra shouldn't cut your air flow! I wonder if the bras you have are the right fit? Sports bras do not necessarily run the same size as your regular bras - so you might want to try a size bigger in cup or band.
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Junior Member Array

Just like almost everyone here stated, I learned a long time ago that the footwear you choose will make a HUGE difference! If you are unsure, go to a reputable store and have them measure your feet, explain what type of substrate you will be running on, and have them recommend something.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

I whole heartedly second the buying of good shoes. I started jogging a few months ago and because I wasn't sure if I would actually keep at it - you know, 5 minute interest, I bought a cheap pair of shoes. What a mistake that was. After two runs my ankles were killing me! I couldn't even walk comfortably for a little while. Well the upshot was I went out and bought some Adidas running shoes and boy, what a difference! No more joint problems.
    If you can run on a soft surface, that would be better for joints too. The hard bitumen doesn't do new runners many favours!
    Run non consecutive days. I find this important to give my body the time it needs to recover as well as for not getting me stale and grumpy lol
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast