• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

braces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braces

don't know if this is something new or not but it seems some kids are now getting braces at a young age and then they have to have them again later so it's a two step process

what do you all think.......is this just a money maker to have two sets of braces?

I don't know what I'd choose but I do think asking the dentist for more information is obvious but he/she should realize you need to know all the facts. Withholding information would not be right. I haven't heard of kids having two sets of braces, so I am as clueless as you! Anyhow, talk to friends/family and most certainly talk to your child. Your kid is going to be wearing them, so needs to know the pros and cons of having two sets of braces. If your child is more happy than unhappy to go with two sets of braces, then that's the decision made.

Comment

I can't understand the need for that. Maybe someone with more background can explain. I had braces when I was in middle school, then as soon as they were removed I had my wisdom teeth removed so they wouldn't knock my teeth out of place later in life. No problems.

I have noticed young, elementary aged children with braces these days and I wondered why. They most often haven't even begun puberty yet. I have no idea why parents are doing this. But yes, I'd say it's certainly lucrative for the orthodontists.
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Just like everything else in medicine, new research and technology brings changes in how we treat everything. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean it is better.

I, at 44, am being told I would benefit from invisalign. I giggled at them. I asked why, and asked them to explain how that would benefit me. I actually agree with them honestly. I've noticed my mouth is changing, and I've thought they were being smashed together. She confirmed it.

But she was also realistic and told me to get a night time bite plate, because I'm wearing my teeth fast. She said if I can't stand to wear that, then there's no point in exploring invisalign.

So, to answer your question...Does kid need braces at all? I would get a second opinion and do some research, from a university dental school, maybe. I'd probably give it some time. Problem is, so much research is actually about finding reasons people need to buy something...So be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
          Does kid need braces at all?
          last couple visits, dentist has said kid will need braces....and I figured in future
          now he is saying start!? which at this young age would mean the double (two sets of braces)

Comment

we haven't been to orthodontist yet

Comment

Why do they say they're needed? Are they obviously crooked or out of line?

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                Why do they say they're needed? Are they obviously crooked or out of line?
                dentist says not enough room for all the teeth that need to come in

Comment

atskitty2 Even after braces and wisdom teeth removed, two of my teeth wanted to do what they had always wanted to do. I had a bracket put on the back of my two front teeth (that is still there to this day) that holds those teeth in place. Additionally, they made me the equivalent of todays invisalign trays. I still have those and mainly use them for teeth whitening, but do wear them occassionally just to make sure the teefers aren't moving around.

"Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
                    atskitty2 . I still have those and mainly use them for teeth whitening
                    BD and/or others

have you noticed any teeth sensitivity at all after teeth whitening?

Comment

Yes. I have.
                      That's why I do it so infrequently.

Comment

I have no idea.

Comment

I tried the bite plate. I remember to put it in but, it is always somewhere lost in the bed by morning. Lol. Kinda gross.
                          Last straw was finding it on the floor, where I'm sure the dog had flung it a time or two and firmly deposited his drool into my dental marks.
                          No thanks.

Wonder if the fitted invisalign plates are better? My guess is I took the plate out myself in my sleep. I tend to be an active sleeper... Bed is a mess when I get out of it.
                          So my guess is that actual braces would be the answer for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X