• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

December 2016 Poster of the Month

Congratulations to WH member amy40 for being selected our WH Poster of the Month! We appreciate you and are so glad you are here!

-WH Admin
See more
See less

husband came home from doctor today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• husband came home from doctor today

and said he wanted to schedule a surgical procedure.

What would you discuss with your husband?

As a member of the zipper club (I had open heart surgery 4 years ago) I would go with what the cardiologists are recommending. Ablation can be done on an in/out basis. A catheter is threaded (usually) via a vein in the groin, up to the heart and then a radio transmitted pulse, electric pulse, or sometimes actual heat can be used to correct structural deficiencies that are causing the increased heart rates. The procedure is far more safe than letting him suffer with a rapid heart beat, which could go into a rate so great it cannot be brought down. The sooner he gets it done the better.

The use of the artery in the groin is no big deal. They freeze the area then thread through this artery up to the heart. I've had this done but for a separate reason, when they thought they could fix my blockages in the arteries by using stents. They weren't able to hence my open heart.

Talk him into having it, not out of having it. The recovery person is short, he'd be home by the next day at most and be on the road to health for you and your child.

Comment

I'd discuss pros and cons of surgery and pros and cons of pills. I'd probably also look into alternatives - medical and natural, get multiple opinions, and ask a lot of questions of the doctors. Fear is good to make you pause before charging in blindly, but don't let irrational fear stop you from doing something scary that has the best chance of long-term benefit.

Also, ultimately, it's your husband's body. If taking the medication is making him feel badly, you should listen to him. Advise him. Help him to reason. But, he's the one that has to live in that body. You shouldn't put too much pressure on him to do what you want him to do.

Regarding trusting doctors: My cousin is an ob-gyn. She recently had a fairly serious female health issue. When she sought the counsel of her doctor, she neglected to give her an option that my cousin knew about. You'd think a doctor would be at the top of their game with another doctor out of pride, professional courtesy, or something. If she's like that with her, what is she doing with laymen?

I don't trust anyone to be in charge of my health, but me.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

If you are not comfortable with the current doctor's recommendation, get a second opinion. You need to do what you and your husband think is the right choice but you also need to have all the facts and make sure you feel comfortable with your clinicians. If you decide not to do the procedure, then you need to have a clear rational why (beyond just fear) and you need to weigh the consequences of that.
        Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

I would get a second opinion, but if the cardiac doctors were making that recommendation it is what I would do. Kids or no kids, you want your husband to live a long and healthy life. My dad died when I was 17 from a mis-diagnosed heart attack. With the right medical care, he'd still be here today. There are always risks to cardiac procedures, because it's the heart for goodness sakes. BUT, procedures aren't usually done on the heart frivolously. If they are recommended, it is generally because they are needed to sustain life.

If it were me, I'd be modifying my diet to a VERY heart healthy diet (if he hasn't already), continuing the pills, seeking a second opinion and then making my choice from there.
          "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
            If it were me, I'd be modifying my diet to a VERY heart healthy diet (if he hasn't already), continuing the pills, seeking a second opinion and then making my choice from there.
            thanks for all the replies everyone!
            Claret, Reading your post made me feel a little better, so thanks!

Thanks for your comments, also BD.
            Thanks again everyone!

Comment

The tachycardia (rapid heartbeats) that he is experiencing is not generally related to what he is eating and not related to cholesterol consumption it has more to do with the genetics of his heart makeup and/or autonomic responses to the electrical impulses his heart is experiencing. I will say that by not addressing this he is leaving himself open to serious heart incidences. It is far better to go into any heart surgery or intervention when not having had a heart attack or serious damage to the heart. Prognosis is much better than if something serious takes place. I still urge you to monitor this very closely, get a second opinion if you must, but trust the doctors and what they say. They are obligated to NOT do un-necessary surgery, especially of this type. They have enough to work with and don't need to make more surgical time for themselves.

Comment

Well Amy, my wife brother who is in his late 50's now had a pace maker implanted two years ago. He had the same issue your husband is going through since then no issue at all. He takes meds as well every morning and will for the rest of his life. They found out he suffers from a rare heart ailment called brugada syndrome. This heart alimment effects only men in the family and can be pass down from father to sons. I really hope your husband finds out the issue and gets on the rights meds but a second opinion should be done for a peace of mind for you and husband.
                When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

He's feeling better and may not need the surgery after all. Fingers crossed.
                  Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X