• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr Clean commercial: Cleaning is sexy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Clean commercial: Cleaning is sexy

Have you seen the Mr. Clean commercial during the Super Bowl? Basically the woman gets turned on seeing her man cleaning.

I know when my husband takes on more household responsibilities like cleaning up the kitchen after dinner or making breakfast, I feel more affectionate towards him. It makes me want to be closer to him during a time our relationship is pretty cold. But I wonder if my husband feels the same when I do household chores.

What has other people's experience been?
    Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

I have a hard time understanding this, so I'd have to say my wife cleaning has little to no connection to any sexual desire I might have for her - at least on a conscious level. I dislike when things aren't clean and when she messes up certain areas I try to keep especially neat.

I really like when she cooks, but that triggers more warm feelings as opposed to sexual ones. I don't think male sexuality works the same way.

EDIT: I just saw the commercial. Very good! Haha
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

have not seen the commercial but have heard that before

the only thing I've noticed about chores, is that I make sure to always thank husband when notice him doing things around house
      I do not usually get thanks for chores,, although I do get thanks/compliments if they really like something I cook

Comment

I think it's definitely connected for me.
        I can remember feeling hot toward my ex hubby when he'd be mowing the yard or something like that. Always felt kinda silly about it, but it happens to me.

It is more than just household chores tho. I have a thing for seeing my man work in any way. lol
        There's something about dirty, working man hands as I call them. A grease monkey is sexy in some way, callused and dirt stained hands...idk, just does something for me.

I appreciate the well manicured man, but a hard worker is hotter. I am sure it goes back to some evolutionary instinct that signals his ability to provide.

Comment

I don't think it's so much a "sexy" thing as it is that it relieves some stress from a woman, and thus, makes her feel more sexual. I truly think that heightened stress is at the root of MANY sexual problems in relationships. Women and men are often (not ALWAYS) different in the fact that men use sex as a stress relief, but women usually want to have sex less when they are stressed. I'm not married and don't have kids, and even at that, I sometimes feel stressed from a long work week, then knowing I have to do all the house cleaning, the laundry, try to make time for my boyfriend and his shows, prep for teaching my class the next week, etc. When he is at my house for the weekend and does something to help (like the dishes, or the floors, etc), it makes me feel good inside. Now, if he lived there full time, I would EXPECT him to contribute to household chores and I would get quite resentful if he did not. But even at that, if I could tell he had went above and beyond to make things easier for me, I'd feel more endeared toward him I believe.
          "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
            Now, if he lived there full time, I would EXPECT him to contribute to household chores and I would get quite resentful if he did not.
            interesting dynamic, this thread
            in this day and age wonder if women are still expected to do most of household chores and the men when they do something are "helping or contributing"

Comment

Women still do more in the household compared to men, even working women. It's a fact.

When I got married, I thought my husband was equal in the household. But once we had kids and the domestic responsibilities exploded, I took on more, but he stuck to what he did before. And I think many households are like that. We have been having issues with our relationship for years and he promises to "help out more". I told him I don't want his help, I want him to do what is his responsibility and the fact he thinks he is "helping" me is the problem. When my husband does housework, I don't thank him. My response is "when was the last time somebody thanked me for cleaning the kitchen" but I do show appreciation like giving him a hug or grabbing him a beer.
              Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

Yep....a gripe I have and I'm not even married. This is such a pet peeve for me. I'm sure the same happens on the other spectrum as well when it comes to taking care of things like car maintenance, yard maintenance, etc. I know that growing up, my mom and dad split the responsibilities. During certain months, Dad had a lot to do outdoors, BUT year around mom had ALOT to do indoors (in addition to working full time and at times, going to school too). And it was strange, like that because the indoors were her part of the duties, no one (including us kids) did ANYTHING to help. I mean, we never hardly ever lifted a finger even if it meant carrying a dish back to the kitchen. UGHHHHH. As an adult, that makes me feel awful inside.

I wrote a blog once "Attention: MEN" and it was directed to men who do exactly what you're describing DreamP346 . They expect some sort of reward for doing their "fair share". Some men even clean something in attempt to get sex as their "reward". I think unless you've specifically agreed as a couple to split duties, then reward and praise shouldn't be expected when you do what is needed to be done to upkeep your home and your family. If a man cleaned up "our mess" and then expected sex from me as a reward, I'd be so turned off I couldn't even fathom sex with him. lol. I'm also super annoyed when a man mentions having to "babysit". I have never (EVER) heard a woman say, "no....I can't go...sorry, I have to babysit tonight cause hubs is out of town......" I see guys posting on facebook "babysitting tonight........." and I'm like "Ummm no....you are taking care of your kids.." LOL

With all that said, I'm super thankful for this "new wave" of relationships I've been seeing over the past few years where it seems like in many cases, men and women are TRULY partners. Both working. Maybe mom gets up with baby some, but dad does some too. Dad changes diapers. Mom can leave and go somewhere without fretting over leaving baby with Dad. Dad not only cooks, but also contributes to cleaning up messes, etc. A true partnership. I'm just not willing to accept any less than a teammate in life. I know that's easier said than done, but it's where I stand. Even though BF doesn't live with me, he's there every weekend, so when he does something I might say "you did great on the kitchen!", but I don't say "Oh thank you so much for doing that!!!".........cause um..........ALOT of it was his mess to begin with. LOL!
                "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Originally posted by DreamP346 View Post
                  When my husband does housework, I don't thank him..

I thank husband and kid all the time.

Comment

I do show appreciation like giving him a hug or grabbing him a beer.
                    missed this.....so you are thanking him through actions!

Comment

We thank each other for anything done in or out of the house.

My wife used to do most of the inside work. When I complained about sex years ago, she brought that up. I started to do more and our relationship gradually became much more affectionate. It wasn't immediate and I initially viewed it as an excuse to shift blame. I'm still not completely sure about the connection, but I do more housework and get more lovin'. Can't deny that.

All the erotic attention in the world is not worth what I gained by doing more, though. I'd do it with or without. Things are cleaner. I learned how to prepare meals. In fact, I do most of the cooking now. I developed my own style - something that would have never happened depending on her or take out. I'm just more mature and self-sufficient.

I will say that unless you have an organized chart of every responsibility, it's hard to just slice things right down the middle. I think there might be something natural to inside stuff being taken care of more by the woman and outside by men. I can count on one hand and the times my wife has put her hand to the lawnmower or done something mechanical to a car and still have fingers left. I do 90-95% of the driving. I take the lead in general. When there's a threat, I'm expected to protect her, not the other way around. How do you quantify all of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                        How do you quantify all of that?
                        I quantify things based on how much time was spent doing chores, the expectations placed on each other and whether one person is sitting on the couch watching TV while the other is doing chores. Also, when it comes to childcare, my expectation is that it is equal responsibility. I am not a stay-at-home mom.

Comment

whether one person is sitting on the couch watching TV while the other is doing chores.
                          be easier on yourself and sit down to watch tv, also

are you teaching your kids to cook? I'm still supervising at stove but kid is making pancakes, grilled cheese, sandwiches etc and making school lunches now (kid's idea)
                          kid shops with me and does the bagging while I scan, goes faster

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                            are you teaching your kids to cook? I'm still supervising at stove but kid is making pancakes, grilled cheese, sandwiches etc and making school lunches now (kid's idea)
                            kid shops with me and does the bagging while I scan, goes faster
                            My kids cook, do laundry and clean their room (well, what they think is cleaning ). I don't go easy on them. And no payments for doing chores. It's just part of life

Comment

If one person wore themselves out spending 45 minutes to shovel wet snow out in the freezing cold, but the other person spent twice as much doing laundry and the dishes, has one done more housework? What does it matter if the snow shoveler came in and sat down on the couch while the dishes were still being done?

I was mostly chilling and playing games the last time my wife cooked, but I had prepared some of the meal too and I do much more cooking in general. She may pick up food more from restaurants, but I prefer homemade meals. At the same time, she works longer hours most of the time. It's too much to be spending my life with a stopwatch measuring out who does what.

That being said, we don't have kids. I do realize stuff gets tighter with little ones - which is exactly why we don't have any.

Comment

Working...
                              X