• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gluten-free bread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluten-free bread

I have been baking, or rather trying to bake, gluten-free bread but no matter what it ends up being super heavy and dry.
    It can last a week though

My recipe is the following: (I only speak EU metrics)
    - 500g Gluten-free four
    - 1/2 coffee spoon of salt
    - Water
    - Olive oil
    - Quinoa-based leaven
    - 1 table spoon of honey (optional)

I place the flour in a bowl, mixed with salt and leaven.
    The water is slightly heated, adding the olive oil and honey, I mix.
    I add the mixture into the bowl and mix first in the bowl, then I continue kneading on a surface.

I cover with cooking plastic for 2 hours, before putting in the oven for 40min (at 220).

Only once I managed to have it lighter but that's because I had to leave home and left for 5 hours.

Any tips to make it better ?
    Behold the presence of the Father in all beings...

I have experienced the same thing when attempting gf recipes. I even switched to a gf baking mix thinking perhaps it was my choice of leavening (I used xantham gum mostly), but found I did not like the flavors that resulted.

I have bought gf bread before that was incredible.......so, what are they doing differently? I don't know. :-) Pinterest and instagram seem to be great resources for finding the best of the best recipes. Google: A Minimalist Baker and check out some of her recipes. She has an ARSENAL of awesome, healthy, alternative recipes (some gluten free, some vegan, etc).
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
      I have experienced the same thing when attempting gf recipes. I even switched to a gf baking mix thinking perhaps it was my choice of leavening (I used xantham gum mostly), but found I did not like the flavors that resulted.

I have bought gf bread before that was incredible.......so, what are they doing differently? I don't know. :-) Pinterest and instagram seem to be great resources for finding the best of the best recipes. Google: A Minimalist Baker and check out some of her recipes. She has an ARSENAL of awesome, healthy, alternative recipes (some gluten free, some vegan, etc).
      Thank you for the information !
      I don't use Pinterest nor Instagram (no account).
      My last attempt (yesterday) produced a somewhat better result.
      I let the mix mount for 3 hours. The result is much better !!!
      Also I didn't use honey or any sugar.

I will have to try to the same next week to know if this recipe is repeatable and produces the same result.

Behold the presence of the Father in all beings...

Comment

Give this one a go: the healthy chef gluten-free-bread
        This website is my go to for everything
        Last edited by jns; 02-27-2017, 08:46 AM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

Comment

Working...
        X