• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

December 2016 Poster of the Month

Congratulations to WH member amy40 for being selected our WH Poster of the Month! We appreciate you and are so glad you are here!

-WH Admin
See more
See less

Mariah Carrey NYE Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariah Carrey NYE Performance

I'm interested to hear the feedback of those of you who saw her performance live or after it began being posted. I had a bit of a different opinion on the performance than most I've seen posting about it on social media.

I felt for her. She has given the world over 2 decades of music, whether it be your preferred style of music or not. She has exhibited vocal talent, over and over and over. In a setting such as that one with millions of roaring people, it is not uncommon for artists to use backup tracks (of their own previously recorded vocals). To me, it was clear that lip syncing wasn't her intention as I could hear her singing with the track at times. As soon as she realized the issue she began asking for it to be fixed......... no one fixed it, and then instead of production cutting to commercial to fix the issue, they let her stand up there the entire time. There is no way she could hear ANYTHING but the roar and chaos of millions of screaming people without her monitors working. If she tried to sing along anyway, she'd have gotten out of sync with the track (because she couldn't hear it). So, she eventually just stopped trying. How could anyone blame her?

"Be what you're looking for."

The crew was obviously working without a plan B. For that big of a production, a backup should be there for everything. I can understand why she felt she was hung out to dry. Musicians do everything to continue a performance, but if the vocalist cannot sync to the music some way, the production will break down. There should have been a backup earpiece on a different channel.

I did not see it live as I was at a club enjoying live music.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

Patrick Henry

Comment

Right! I know someone who was there with her team, but was in the crowd. He said there was NO WAY she could hear her music. He also said she delivered a flawless performance of Auld Lang Syne before what was aired on tv. He said she asked to use her own equip and they didn't want her to. Then she stood there asking for help during the live performance and they did nothing. She actually left her vacation early to do this show, because they begged her to. He also said she was a good sport and after the show she stuck around for the ball drop. If she were a diva like the public is saying, she'd have probably made a scene and stormed out.
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

I saw the video. idk enough about production and performing to comment in any meaningful way about what happened really.

I don't think it was as big a deal as people make it.
        I think her talent stands for itself. I do remember a performance years ago that she blew majorly, long before all the cell phones and YouTube. I'm sure that is locked in archives. She can sing, I don't know who would argue that, and she's a self proclaimed diva.
        I actually didn't feel one way or another about it.

Comment

Working...
        X