• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

different friend post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different friend post

Didn't want to attach to any other friend post so starting new one.
    A friend/neighbor of mine died. We used to talk a lot (like pretty much an hour every time we did talk). I miss her.

Don't feel like trying extra hard to make friends with new neighbors. Although have introduced myself and said welcome to neighborhood.
    Is it strange to not really want to be picking up new friends anymore after losing my neighbor/friend, and losing other neighbors/friends due to them moving far away?

I'm in a somewhat similar position. Moved to a new location 7 years ago, grown children stayed in previous city. This new city is friendly, but it's hard to make friends. This new city is bilingual, I'm not. They all work - I don't. It's hard to continue to expend the time and energy to get to know these neighbours especially when it's not reciprocated. I understand what you are saying.

One thing that I found has helped me at least be in contact with people that might have similar interests and tastes - I sew. I've hooked up with people at the local shop. I can drop in on a class, relate and converse with them for a couple of hours a week if not more. So, although we are not best friends, they are friendly faces and a certain amount of personal stuff and advise etc. seems to come out of these hours together.

Another, I've gotten involved in curling - something I never thought I'd do. But after 5 years of curling and getting involved in the curling community - I've made friends. Even though we are not the "drop over for coffee" kind of friends we all care for each other. This particular group is both male and female and are wonderful.

I guess what I'm saying is the emphasis might be on you to go out and make the effort even though it may not be returned. The next person you make the effort with just might be your best friend for life.

I

Comment

thanks for your post, claret!
      guess what am saying unlike needy too, I have no desire to go out and look for any friends

just was wondering if that seems strange to not want to be picking up new friends

thanks BD, that makes sense, might be what I need
      Last edited by amy40; 01-23-2017, 01:28 AM. Reason: reply to BD

Comment

Nah. I don't think it's abnormal. Loss is life changing, truly. This may be a period of time where being introverted and introspective is what you NEED. I do think it is important to have friends in your life, people who can help to pick you up in times you fall....but there is no rule that says how many of those you should have.

I have gotten MUCH more introverted since my former boyfriend died. Is it the result of the traumatic experience or just my age? Who knows....but it's what I need right now. I still nurture my existing friendships, but I am certainly not on the market for new ones.
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Another place to meet people is by taking community education classes from the local community college. They usually meet several times, often on weekends and are each focused on a single subject. Computer classes, cooking, languages, travel, etc. are typical subjects.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Working...
          X