• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Menopause Limited to Three Species

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menopause Limited to Three Species

I didn't realize that menopause was limited to three species: humans, killer whales and pilot whales. Obviously this limits research to humans in most cases. Comments?
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

interesting the older killer whales are so important in helping the sons to survive
    don't know why they don't consider elephants to have menopause, also as their fertility decreases at 45-50, yet they live to age 60-70

Comment

I heard that the other day too. Surprising stuff. What I heard said that it was only humans, if I remember correctly.

We used to use these "all-natural" products - supplements, lotions, etc. The guy claimed that menopause wasn't natural for us, but a result of some kind of nutritional inadequacy and that his products had gotten older women pregnant.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

I read an article about killer whales that mentioned that menopause was limited to three species.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
          I read an article about killer whales that mentioned that menopause was limited to three species.
          that's the article I found when you mentioned the three species in your first post
          oops, just looked for the article and now a whole bunch of news sources are reporting and can't find the article I read!

Comment

I back checked it with other online resources because I find that the news is horribly inaccurate some of the time.

Comment

Working...
            X