Forum:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is thin hair always bad?

Junior Member Array

Default Is thin hair always bad?

I have naturally thin hair. I was born like this, it's genetic. As a kid I must have had a bit more hair, but according to my mom, I always had low density, fine hair. I just can't remember well, because she had me wear my hair short (I hated it at the time, but now I get it was more practical for her - since my hair is so fine, it tangles with just a light breeze!). But now that I'm 22 and with long hair (reaching waist level... mostly because I haven't been bothered to get a hair cut), I notice just how thin my hair is. It's thin mostly at the top of my head, so extensions are not an option. I've been told this is normal, but I feel self conscious because the ideal seems to be to have thick, dense hair - which is the opposite of what I have! Also,when I try to Google info and whatnot, all I get are "thinning hair solutions" or different sorts of treatments for hair loss which is not something I'm interested in, since I'm NOT losing hair... I just don't have much hair in my scalp. Never have. And thin hair runs in my family.

Yet people and stuff on the Internet make me feel like a freak (sometimes random people or friends comment on how thin my hair is, especially if I do a ponytail or braid). Ugh, that's part of the reason why I haven't gotten a haircut in almost 2 years - hairdressers love to point out how little hair I have! My hair is healthy, shiny and very soft to touch. And even though I haven't got a haircut (I also have to admit it grows surprisingly fast!), some people compliment me on length/shine/softness and they don't even realize how damaged my ends are until I point them out. And even then, they say they don't look bad. So despite having very thin and fine hair, I guess it's good quality.

But still, I feel self conscious. I constantly check out other women's (and even men's! - my ex had such great hair!) hair and compare - most have a lot of thick, coarse hair! And I feel like my hair is ugly despite what I already said about its shine, texture and even color. I feel frustrated because I can't do much with it. Like I said, pony tails and braids are so thin, and some up dos leave me showing a lot of scalp. I don't wanna wear it short because I personally don't like short haircuts (plus I have a big head/round face).

So is thin hair always bad? Is it a flaw? And undesirable quality? Do people notice a lot? I'm just so self conscious that even though it has nice color and it's shiny, I dont think that's enough to make up for the lack of thickness!

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

Hi hun. We are our biggest critics, it's the honest truth. What we don't like about ourselves, other people don't notice, don't care, nothing. I roll my eyes when girls go to such great lengths to apply cover-up for that zit on their face... when really, no one else is going to notice anyway.

One of my best friends has really thin hair, though she wears it short. She looks like a pixie, and I gotta tell ya, she's very popular with guys. It's not about the actual thickness of your hair, it's about how you wear it and how you feel about yourself.

I would highly recommend wearing your hair short, though. Definitely shorter than you have it now, anyway. I think a new fresh style would boost your confidence, and short is probably healthier for thin hair as well.

Junior Member Array

I get what you're saying but I fear I may look worse with short hair. Like I said, my head is big, and my face is round, and short styles usually don't flatter that type of head. Plus I've talked to my male friends, we have a female friend who got a pixie cut and they all agreed she's one of the few girls who can pull it off, but that she looked prettier with longer hair because men like long hair better.

VIP Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeMP View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself! Thin hair is not a bad thing, you just may have to approach styling it a little different. If you are looking for a way to get more volume to your hair to make it look a little thicker, try the u-smooth texturizing iron. It has crimped plates that add texture to your hair without needing to add chemicals or tease. Just make a crimped layer at your crown underneath your top layer. It will add great lift and its really fast and easy to do!

Good luck and stay confident!
    Was just going to say the same thing.... No need to feel self conscious. Try some shoulder length (or better) styles. Best of luck.

Junior Member Array

Default Maybe low in vitamins

I understand exactly how you feel. I have long hair and it was thinning so badly I thought I would have to cut it off - but not anymore!

I found some vitamins have helped me amazingly and who knows.. maybe your body is just low in these too.

One is made by a multi-vitamin company and it's actually called 'Hair, Skin & Nails' and also the vitamin Biotin is often recommended for strengthening hair.
    Ask at your chemist/drug store for more information.

I'm glad to say I can see my hair has gotten stronger and it's not falling out anymore

Hope this helps.

VIP Member Array

My hair is genetically pretty thin and fine too, except the top half of my hair is coarse(weird i know) but it has been falling out for years. I started using this homeopathic oil and it really works and my hair doesn't fall out anymore. But if that isn't your issue i can't do anything to help you.
    It's a matter of just accepting it. Or wearing a wig. Life is sad, i know, my hair probably looks worse than yours so don't worry. We want what we don't have. Just think, thick hair takes forever to be cut and blow dried....ours dries so fast!!

Junior Member Array

No thin hair is not always bad! And there are certain things you can do to volumize it if you want it to appear thicker. First, there are tons of volumizing shampoos and conditioners out there. Also, I have a U-Smooth texturizing iron (its like a crimper) and I crimp close to my roots to add lift and volume. You could also use a volumizing root powder, I like Kevin Murphy's powder puff. Also, teasing at your roots adds lift!

Don't get down, just work with what you have naturally

Junior Member Array

Thin hair without hair fall means healthy hair. It doesn't mean that when we have thin hair, its not good. My thin hair is due to my mom's genes. Just be confident that your hair is healthy.

Junior Member Array

I also had thinning of the hair and hair loss my hair did stop growing. My nails are very thin and weak. My nails break off in chunks. I do believe some of the problems with my nails is do to medication. As it stands, I cannot grow my nails. they are very thin , weak and always very short. My hair has begun to thicken and grow once again.

nail salon

VIP Member Array

You can always add volume to your hair so it will look much fluffy...hehehehe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast