Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen, red, itchy.....

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

Question Swollen, red, itchy.....

Don't get excited, I'm talking about my toes. Yes....within the past few weeks my toes have been acting very strangly. First it was just the second toe on my right foot. Became swollen and hurt as if it had been smashed or bruised. Two weeks later, it's still swollen and painful when too much pressure is put on it, or if my dog accidentally steps on my toe (YOOOOWZA!!). And the toe is very itchy! But now, located on the first joint behind the toe nail there is a red area that looks burnt. :| So this week, I notice the 3rd toe on my left foot had swollen. It never turned red, but is a bit itchy. And is quite painful when I have to wear shoes. I don't even want to have on socks. Has anyone ever had anything like this before?

I would normally hope in the car and go to my doctor, but due to my recent job loss, I have no health insurance. I started taking Ibuprofen to relieve the inflammation, and yesterday began rubbing lotrimin (antifungal) cream on the toes. Doesn't seem to be providing much relief. The 3rd toe on the left foot seems to be getting better, but the second toe on the right foot is red, itcy, swollen and painful.

Any insight?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

sounds like an infection, it could also be tinnea. If you can't go to a doc try some otc meds of fungus or tinnea (sp?). Keep them clean, I know my sister would wash her feet in a diluted bleach sollution and dish soap (at different times) to kill any bacteria. Also, a reminder, I'm not a doctor and cannot give medical advice, just my usual disclaimer

Junior Member Array

I am experiencing the same sort of symptoms now and have had it twice in the past. The doctors never were able to diagnosis anything. So whatever happened to your toes? Did you ever find out what it was? I'm very curious. Thanks!

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array

i would try soaking them in warm salty water and then applying tea tree oil, always seems to work for me.

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hopefully. since she had this problem back in February it is long solved!
    I hope BD can offer you some ideas.
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

Default All better......

Considering that at the time I had no insurance coverage, I was not able to go to the doctor about this problem. However, I started soaking my feet in water with only a cap (not CUP) of bleach and applied antifungal cream and also neosporin cream to my toes. Gradually it got better. The weird part is that after the toes got better, they peeled. Very strange.

I know how uncomfortable it is...so best of luck to you. I would suggest, if you have insurance, seeing a dermotologist for this. My friend had what she thought was fungus on her toenails and it turned out to be a bacterial infection. The cure was to soak feet in vinegar water.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sounds like it is an infection or an ingrown toenail. I got this in college, and I ended up having to get my ex-boyfriend to pry the nail out from under my skin... Definetly soak your feet in warm salt water, and try to keep them dry and clean.

Junior Member Array

I had the same thing on my left baby toe at my last physical, and still (or again) this year, except it spread to my fourth toe too. My GP seems to think it may be, of all things, Gout since it went away and then came back. some diet changes ( and taking care of my hypoglycemia) helped. So did a cup of pure (not concentrated) cherry juice once a day for a few days.

Junior Member Array

I had the exact same thing happen with my toes - even the same toe in the same spot, right down to the peeling afterwards. Very strange. They tested me for gout, which it wasn't. I think they are going to test me for rheumatoid arthritis, but I'm glad to read about the soaking in vinegar... will definitely try it!

Junior Member Array

Default Itchy Red Toes

I seem to have this issue every summer, whn it's hot and I start wearing alot of flip flops. The second toe on either foot will become slightly swollen, red and itchy, the skin also gets tough and sometimes will peal. I don't know what to make of it, everything I read online talks about the same symptoms, only they occur when it's really cold, or like athletes foot, moist and confined. Does any have any ideas? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast