Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharp, stabbing pain in temple, pressure afterwards

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Sharp, stabbing pain in temple, pressure afterwards

This morning around 10:45am-11:00am, I got a sharp, stabbing pain in my left temple. It would come around every five seconds or so, and it almost made me have to close my eye. It went away after about a minute or two, but now it feels like there's almost pressure there (like someone with a really warm finger is pressing lightly against my temple), and it seems to be radiating down to my jaw and making it feel sort of tingly. I think I may have TMJ, because when I open my jaw wide enough there is a **pop** or **snap** sound on the left side. I did not lose consciousness when I got this head pain. I checked each of my pupils, and both are responsive to light and darkness and they are both equal size.

I am 21 years old, and according to my doctor when I went for my check up in early July, I am in good physical health (besides my weight).

I have been at a convention in Conneticut since Thursday, and I just got back Sunday night at about 11:15pm. I did not eat or drink well while I was at the convention. I would eat a little at the continental breakfast the hotel had (bowl of cereal, bacon, milk, juice), but after that I would have maybe a slice of pizza if I was lucky. I only drank about 48 oz. of water each day (Thursday to Sunday). I also did not have a computer with me, so I was not staring at a screen at all (besides a television in the morning for about half an hour) for about four days.

I thought perhaps it was a result of my boyfriend accidentally elbowing me right under the left side of my eye on Saturday night, but that wouldn't cause pain like this would it? Not after 24-36 hours at least, right? I am so afraid that it's an aneurysm or a stroke.

I would talk to my parents about going to see my doctor, but they HATE how I complain and worry about my health all the time. But I'm a hypochondriac, and even though I'm trying to fight that, it's really hard when something like this happens.

Do you think someone could help me figure this out please? I'm really scared, and I'd like at least some advice to calm me down...

Blog Entries

I know I shouldn't double post, but I thought I'd add more information. I am currently on my period (it started last night). The pain is now radiating down behind the top of my ear, but my ear doesn't hurt at all, and there is slight pressure (not like on the left side) in my right temple.

The pressure feeling is now not just in the temple, but it has radiated down to my cheekbone and stops in my cheekbone at the level of my earlobe.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array OG612's Avatar

If you're still alive it wasn't an aneurysm. Almost always fatal and if left untreated it is always fatal.

I doubt it was trans-ischemic axiom (baby stroke). But if you're overweight then it's possible. Rare at your age, but possible. A full-on stroke would have been 100x worse.

Could be caused by dehydration. If you only consumed 48 oz. of fluid over 4 days, then you're definitely dehydrated. Especially if the bulk of this consumption was coffee, soda, or caffeinated tea. Caffein is the leading cause of dehydration in America.

There's always a chance it's a migraine stemming from you not decompressing properly when you got off of the plane.

If you're really scared, then go to the ER and get examined. Just don't tell them you're a hypochondriac until after they treated you.

OG
    Through hypnosis, I create confident men and women to succeed in all facets of their lives. This place will soon get very interesting

Blog Entries

OG612: Thanks for that info. I don't think it was a baby stroke; I researched the symptoms of it, and I didn't have anything else. I talked to my friends about it and they said that it sounded like your garden-variety migraine. It was really scary though. I mean, there I was minding my own business, and then SUDDENLY ICE PICK! Freaked me out.

I think you misunderstood my water intake though. Every day, the total I got to drink never amounted to more than about 48oz. It wasn't 48oz. over 4 days. That would have been bad.

I don't drink caffiene anymore (I had caffiene withdrawal headache for a week back in July), and any soda I drank was therefore caffiene free. And grape. Mm, grape.

I drove down to CT with my boyfriend, so there were no planes involved, but my ears had a hard time popping.

48 ounces a day still isn't enough. That's a little more than 2 bottles of Dasani or Aquafina. You're minimum water/fluid intake should be 64 ounces (8 x 8 rule).

Most likely just a migraine. Smoke some pot and you'll be fine. Or take some Excedrin. Whatever works best for you.

OG
    Through hypnosis, I create confident men and women to succeed in all facets of their lives. This place will soon get very interesting

Blog Entries

Well, I don't do drugs either, but I'm on my 3rd glass of water today! (The glass I have is about 2 cups worth of liquid, so that means I've gotten almost 6 of the daily 8).

I just have a mild headache today. I think what I got was either an "Ice Pick" headache or a Menstrual Migraine. Either way, I think I feel a bit better today. It doesn't help that a week before my period, my hypochondria skyrockets...

Blog Entries

Okay, wanted to update. I just got another sharp pain in the left side of my head. I had one on the right earlier today. Now my left ear hurts, like there's an infection.

I believe I have TMJ, as I will sometimes feel like the muscles in my jaw are tired, or sore, and if I open very wide, there's a popping or grinding feeling, mostly on the left side. Can migraines be triggered by TMJ? And does TMJ cause ear pain?

Most of the jaw pain is in my left side, right by my ear.

Transcendental Meditation Junkie? I honestly don't know what TMJ is. I hate to use this verbage, but it's all in your head.

"Losing your mind" for an hour would do you some good.

And marijuana isn't a drug. It's an all natural plant prescribed by the AMA, APA, and ACS as legitimate pain intervention. If you're so freaked out, do as I've been saying since the beginning and go to the ER.

OG

Blog Entries

OG, I can NOT go to the ER. My family cannot afford it right now, and neither can I. My college payments are bad enough, and their FSA ran out, so they would have to pay in full if I went.

TMJ is short for Temporo-Mandibular Joint. If you have a disorder of the joint, the symptoms include:

** Pain or tenderness of the Jaw (have it)
    ** Aching Pain in and around Ear (have it)
    ** Difficulty/Discomfort Chewing (have a little of it)
    ** Aching Facial Pain (have it)
    ** Headaches/Migraines (definitely have it)
    ** Uncomfortable Bite (have it)

It is NOT all in my head. If you were experiencing what I'm feeling, you'd know.

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Temporomandibular joint disorder, I understand is more common in women than men. I have it to a small degree. Avoid chewing gum and such. If you clench or grind your teeth you may need a mouth appliance to reduce the strain.

Give yoga a try, a slow, meditative type can reduce the incidence of migraine and other pain. Migraine, as I understand them (have had only one and was in my chest and arms) can affect any part of the body but usually are only ID'd as a headache. They are essentially an allergy since there is a exposure trigger, it may be a food, MSG is apparently a common culprit, it could be perfume, sulfates, exhaust fumes, any number of things. My guess is that changing hormone levels in the body may play a role (yes men have a cycle too). Maybe keep a diary, see if you can note any common threads or a pattern? Then you could avoid the trigger(s).

Marijuana may not be a pharmaceutical but THC would qualify as a drug. Many of our drugs were at least orginally plant derivatives, some have devistating effects. Don't under estimate herbs and plants. Plants and fungi such as jimson, foxglove, monkshood, hemlock, psillisiben, peyote, mescal and many others are powerful and can be deadly. That said, marijuana is relatively innocuous and may help.

Crystal a visit to an ENT may be in order. Why not rule out anything physical and then work on stress and emotional?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast