Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck, shoulder pain...Connected to jaw pain?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Neck, shoulder pain...Connected to jaw pain?

I know you all are probably tired of me by now, but I have a question.

Around June 24th or so I got these horrible pains in my neck, and they'd radiate down to my shoulder and upper arm. they went on for about four or five weeks, then they went away. Now it's back, but on top of that, my jaw has been causing me a lot of trouble.

I feel like the muscles are cramped up and achy in my jaw, and that radiates down to my collarbone and shoulder area and up to around my eye/temple area. There's a tiny lump (very small, invisible on the surface, but you can feel it with two fingers) under my skin by my right earlobe, and rubbing it causes my jaw to feel worse and my back teeth to ache a little on that side. It moves a little bit to either side when I rub it, so I don't think it's a tumor.

My neck pain doesn't seem to have any real origin; it's just there and it radiates to the back of my head by my right temple to as low as the top of my shoulderblade/underarm region.

I have a tendency to slouch to the left when I am on my computer and not typing (just using the mouse), and put my head in my left hand, which makes my shoulder on the right side drop down and forward. I usually sleep on the right side of my body, with two pillows (one flat standard on top of a fluffy down one) under my head.

My pupils are both the same size (or very very close), and they react normally to light and darkness, I can talk normally (as well as I normally do), my reactions are normal, and everything else seems fine. Could I possibly have TMJ Disorder? Or is it a pinched nerve in my neck?

Blog Entries

Oh also, and I forgot to mention it in my first post, sorry:

With the jaw issues, when I open my jaw, there is a pop or snap sound on the left side, and my lower jaw moves fairly off to the right when I open it. It hurts mildly on the left after I open, just around the location of the joint, and it feels like it causes almost pressure on the right near the joint as well.

Blog Entries

I know, I know, triple posting...I'm bad. But I just tested something.

The lump on the right side moves when I open and close my jaw. The popping on the left can either go from a nearly noiseless pop to a sound that reminds me of a sealed jar being open.

My right temple feels just slightly swollen, and my ear hurts, along with the right side of my jaw, my neck, the back of my head, the area around my left eye, and the TM joint on the left side.

Blog Entries

Still suffering the pain today. Slept on my left side, woke up with neck and head pain on THAT side as well. Can't sleep on my back; it's uncomfortable for me.

Also, I just yawned. My jaw locked a little bit and then there was a jerk accompanied by a very loud **POP** (like someone making a popping noise with their lips RIGHT in my right ear) and it unlocked. There was no increase in pain when that happened, but it was very, very startling to say the least.

Joy
    Gold Contributor 500+ Posts Array Joy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd would hunt around for a good physio thereapist that deals with tmj disorders.... they can probably help you relax the tension in your neck, jaw area. Massage therapy would be a good thing too.

Blog Entries

Is it possible to do massage therapy on your own at home?

Junior Member Array

Hey I'm having the EXACT same issues you were having when you wrote this thread. Did you ever find out what was wrong? I have jaw/neck/upper back/shoulder pain all on my right side, popping in my jaw and even the little bump that hurts when I touch it. Your post is exactly what I'm going through and I am in constant pain. Will you please respond to me and let me know if you found anything that has helped or if you were diagnosed with something? I want to know what I should do! Help! And thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Like I said in my comment to your profile, all this turned out to be due to bad posture, stress, and a cold. I also may have TMD: Temporo-Mandibular Disorder. It's a problem in which your jaw is out of alignment. It causes clicking, popping, and pain, and can even cause pain in your temples (there's a muscle up there connected to your jaw).

I would suggest going to your dentist to talk about TMD, explain your symptoms, and see what can be done. In the mean time, advil and warm compresses on your jaw will help that.

Posture adjustment, rest, and warm baths/showers can help with the neck and shoulder. Massages also help, but be careful--sometimes your muscles get so used to being tense that once they relax from a massage, they'll tighten up worse than ever!
    Go big or go home!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array JadedQueen's Avatar

I would consult a doctor or dentist. I have learned through many injuries often times when we have a body part in pain we compensate for the pain by adjusting other body parts which often times is bad for us and it causes other problems (pain in other area's). You may be doing this and not even realizing it (like times when we are asleep). If you are having neck/jaw pains try warm compresses, if there is swelling then use ice. You can also alternate hot/cold compresses but I would see a professional to get to the root of what is gonig on.

VIP Member Array

I would definitely see someone about your TMJ disorder. I work in a dental office and I know that we see patients with those problems all the time. Sometimes as the disease progresses surgery is needed, however there are several options available before it reaches that point. In my office we have several different types of nighttime appliances that our patients wear over their teeth that help relax the jaw and relieve pain in the joint as they sleep. We also have several daytime appliances if they are needed.

Usually going to a dentist offers the less invasive means to helping someone live with TMJD. However, I would strongly recommend finding whatever you are most comfortable with and pursuing that.

I hope you find a way to relieve your pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast