Forum:

Thread: IMAGES: Bruise upper thigh, pain where leg connects to body, twinge left side shin

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default IMAGES: Bruise upper thigh, pain where leg connects to body, twinge left side shin

I am SO freaked out by what's going on with my left leg recently.

Today I noticed a bruise with spots and such right at the top of my thigh, just to the right. Weirded me out a little as I don't really remember doing anything to damage it.

I also think I have sciatic nerve injury, because there's this strained or tense feeling where the leg connects to the body, right in the crevice near the opening of my vagina and I occasionally feel the pain radiate to my hip and my knee, and sometimes the back of my thigh to the left.

Here is a closeup with the spots visible.

But now I have this TWINGE feeling on my lower left leg. It's about 6 inches down from my knee, and about two inches to the left of my leg bone. It's usually three or four pulse beats between twinge. It feels like someone's taking a very weak vibrator to this tiny, about dime-sized spot. It's like: "1, 2, 3 **...throb...** 1, 2, 3 **...throb...**" It's not painful, just irritating, and it seems to go away if I put my hand under it. It feels like it's just under the skin, and I only seem to notice it sitting down or standing still.

Area of the twinge is circled in blue ink, but it's more to the left most area of the circle, by the ink on that side.

I'm worried that this is a blood clot or something wrong with my artery or vein in that leg. But the artery and vein can't just explode on their own right? If there was a rupture or something, I'd already be gone, because the bruise has been there since noon (since I noticed it anyway) and the leg pain I've had before. It's just this obnoxious twinge, and the fact that I don't know where the bruise came from. Could someone help me with this? Has anyone had this sort of thing happen before?

Blog Entries

Just saw that the bruise is around about the same width of my shakespeare book for my shakespeare in cinema class at my University. There's no odd discoloration on the back of my legs, or the front so it's not a blood clot (I don't think).

I really would like some clarity on what's going on though.

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Typically when I get bruises I do not remember how I got them. Sometimes people bruise like a peach and can get one with the slightest touch, and some people require a bit more force to get one (that would be me). Doesn't really matter cause we all get them and everyone knows they can be annoying.

A bruise is just your capillaries rupturing, leading to blood pooling under the skin and very typically only produces mild discomfort. Very rarely can something bad happen from a light bruise. Since your bruise is not internal nor cranial I highly doubt there is anything to worry about. Often a bruise appears small at first and by the second or third day it can increase to several times the original size. That is only because of the different rates of chemical breakdown, the different colors will support that. Again no need to really worry unless there is a ton of pain associated with it (without poking it).

As for the nerve, if it is localized to the butt and back of the thigh it may be sciatic but check with a physiotherapist or chiropractor if it gets really bad. Sometimes a pinched nerve can cause the twinge you speak of, its just your nerves going crazy. It would be analogous to your eye twitching, same type of thing...annoying but it does go away. Again if it causes you a lot of pain or extreme discomfort check with your doctor.

As for a blood clot, not likely, you would be keeling over in pain as well as showing signs of swelling and inflamation...especially if it embolizes and blocks a major artery.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Blog Entries

Thank you ItsASecret!

Just as you said, the bruise got a bit bigger today, and a little darker, but it's turning yellowy around the edges. I blame Shakespeare!

I got the twitch again today, same place, and it irks me but it comes and goes. I guess I just have to deal with it.

I'm not so scared as I was before! Thank you!