Forum:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might have swallowed Glass...help?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Might have swallowed Glass...help?

Today I was eating lunch at a cafe I work at, and I've never had a problem before. But today I was eating some pickled cabbage and ...**CRUNNCH**. I felt something very hard and non-vegetable crunch between my teeth. Swallowing the cabbage, while keeping whatever was in my mouth from going down, I carefully pulled out all the foreign bodies I could feel.

In my hand was a shard of glass. It was (from what I can recall) very small, about 2-3mm long, but sharp. There were two other tiny fragments, that were either 1mm or less in length (around the size of a larger grain of sand). I immediately notified my boss, and she told me that the only thing she could think of is that a girl (who I think is a negligent worker anyway) broke a microwave plate earlier that day, and that it must have gotten into the food. She promptly got rid of the pickled veggies.

I feel like whatever I swallowed may have scratched my throat a little bit, but it's only itchy. There is no blood in my stool, and I do not have a bloody taste in my mouth, nor am I coughing up blood. I am still worried however.

Will I be all right? How much glass would one have to ingest to really cause damage? It's not going to slice through something and get into my blood and travel into my heart right?
    Go big or go home!

WH Super Moderator Array sourpuss's Avatar

I think you'll be fine. You may want to call a doctor and ask but it sounds like it was a really small piece. But who knows, call a doc just to be safe. It should pass by tomorrow too.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Register! | Rules/FAQ | Contact Mod

Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array

Glass that small is very unlikely to cause any internal damage.

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think we have all done that.

I would be asking your boss, as it appears that you ate where you work, to pay for an x-ray to check personally.

I believe you got most of it by holding it in your mouth but it's her responsibility, if you were a client, you could sue her.

So, tell her of your concern and that you want an extra as your worried.

CW
    PUT A LITTLE LIGHT IN MY SOUL!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it is indeed that small after you crunched there is nothing to worry about. People have been known to swallow a whole toothpicks and not die, how they manage to swallow it I do not know lol. Even if you got any sort of scan done the chances of seeing a piece of glass like that in you is astronomically low. I am not even sure if the density of a piece of glass that small would even show up. You will not die from this, you will not collapse on the floor, you will not bleed out. Nothing to worry about.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CHANDLERS WISH View Post
    I think we have all done that.

I would be asking your boss, as it appears that you ate where you work, to pay for an x-ray to check personally.

I believe you got most of it by holding it in your mouth but it's her responsibility, if you were a client, you could sue her.

So, tell her of your concern and that you want an extra as your worried.

CW
    I don't blame my boss at all for what happened, rather, I blame the negligent clumsy girl who did not clean up properly after breaking something. My boss is a very sweet lady and was extremely apologetic about the situation.
    Go big or go home!

Blog Entries

So far so good. I've read a lot of things saying that it won't hurt me that much (if at all), and the only issue I've got is that it feels like my throat got a little scratched (Like when you chew your fingernails and you swallow a sharp bit).

I mean, people have swallowed tooth-picks and razor blades before, so a tiny bit of glass won't hurt right? I mean, it can't travel into my blood stream or get into my brain right?
    Go big or go home!

Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array

No, I don't think you have to worry about it getting into your bloodstream.

Blog Entries

So, just to reassure me, there's absolutely no way a 1-2mm, or less sized, chip of glass can get into my bloodstream after I ingested it? I'm going to bed now; I'll post how I am feeling in the morning.
    Go big or go home!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Kallygirlie's Avatar

I wouldn't go so far as to say theres absolutly no way. It takes a very tiny piece to cause problems but its very rare. I swollowed glass at a diner one time. I noticed my glass was cracked after I slid my hand over it to pick it up and my finger came back bloody. I'm sure you'll be fine. The major things doctors worry about when you ingest an object is how it will move through your body. if its tiny, its most likely not gonna hurt you, the bigger it is the more chance there is for it to cut something along the way.
    Krystal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast