Forum:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burning sensation in the back of my head

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, I didn't know that problems with the neck could cause so many problems. I mean, I've had this sensation before, but the burning was a new development and it really, really scared me. I'm still nervous, but I have stuff to work on, and I have to get some rest so I can function tomorrow.
    Go big or go home!

Blog Entries

Okay, it's been four days and today the feeling of burning is all in the back of my neck, down to the area under it, which is the same level as my shoulders. It goes up the back of my head to about two inches below my crown. I don't have a fever, and I'm not cold, but my cheeks also feel a little flushed.

I am not showing any drooping eyelids/uneven pupils/disorientation/confusion/slurred speech like what I might have if I were having a growing aneurysm. I'm a little nauseous, but that is probably from eating three large meals today. I actually ate more than one meal today!!

My friend gave me a back rub and worked at my neck a little, because he thinks I'm developing muscle in the back of my neck from craning my head at an odd angle (almost 45 degrees tipping my head up) when I sit. My shoulder area and the area between my neck and shoulders is very stiff. It seems like, the more I try to relax, the more my body tenses up!

I've been under a LOT of stress the past few days, and I cried in front of one of my favorite professors, though I was really trying to hold back. I have been struggling with miserable posture, and I've only JUST rearranged my desk area in my dorm room to accommodate better posture. However when moving my computer (I have a desktop) from one side of the desk to the other, lifting it caused the burning feeling in the back of my head to flare up.

Could this be posture related? I'm very worried that it's an aneurysm (because, of course, that is my trigger word), but I'm not showing any of the signs of that. I know I suffer from Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, which has been flaring up very badly on the right side of my face. My friend also said that it feels like my vertebrae are realigning because of how bad my posture has been recently. I am trying to fix that issue however. Pressing on the area between the side of my neck and shoulders (where there is a knot) seems to enhance the burning feeling very briefly (less than a second or two).
    Go big or go home!

Blog Entries

Also, the burning went to my face (cheek area on both sides) even though my face is not abmormally flushed. What could this be?
    Go big or go home!

Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array

You know the answer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    You know the answer.
    Is it seriously posture? Again??? Is that the answer to everything? Ha ha.

But yeah, I'm not used to sitting up straight. It kinda hurts....
    Go big or go home!

Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array

Not even necessarily posture. Just tense and knotted muscles. You can get them from bad posture but also from stress, from carrying something wrong, etcetera.

I slept on my left shoulder all wrong last night. Woke up with a pain going down my arm, up my neck, even into my jaw and the back of my head.

If that were an aneurysm it must be the slowest drip ever. My mental functions are not impaired more than usual and I'm not drooling an unusual amount.

Blog Entries

That is true.
    But you've felt this burning pain before Tex? I like knowing that I'm not alone in this sort of thing...My friend even says that my vertebrae are starting to realign in the way I usually slouch, and my right collarbone seems more prominent, actually. It's scary that the body will adapt like that! He also said I was developing muscles in between my shoulder blades and in my neck from my poor posture.
    Go big or go home!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Listen you are not going to have an aneurysm lol. Any medically correct book or source will say the same thing, and those sites made my wanna-be doctors are no good. They forget to put in the statistical part of how very rare an aneurysm is if you have slight discomfort in the noggin region...they also forget to mention that when you have one you are usually in the hospital before you actually know what is going on.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Blog Entries

I know I probably won't have an aneurysm, but it's one of those triggers I need to work on. >.>

Changing my posture is hard! I have a pillow supporting my lower back, and I'm constantly having to correct my shoulders. My body really hurts like "HOLY WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!!!" But when I am properly sitting up, though it isn't "natural" for me, I don't really feel the burning as much.
    Go big or go home!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Changing posture is hard, but the key is not to make it your forefront thought. You will become obsessed about it just like you are doing now and that will prevent you from actually doing it.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast