Forum:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning sensation in the back of my head

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Burning sensation in the back of my head

I've probably posted something like this before, I can't remember.

I was just trying to take a nap earlier, when it felt like someone was pressing a hot poker against the back of my head, just one or two inches above my ear. It was only in that area, about the size of a U.S. quarter, and it scared me out of my wits. I still have the burning sensation, but it is not as bad now. It got to the point where I was scratching at it very hard, trying to get it to stop, thinking it was some sort of scalp irritation.

It may be because of posture, because my posture at the computer is horrendous and I tend to sleep on two pillows, with my shoulders all bunched up. But I am afraid of aneurysms. It also could be stress; I had a long day at my workplace, and I have a paper, a quiz, and a group project all possibly due within this upcoming week and no time to do them.

Stupid me, instead of going to mayo clinic or webmd to check, I went to a forum not unlike this one, and saw that someone had a similar pain before they were diagnosed with an aneurysm. So now I'm freaking out. The "A" word is like a trigger for me. I hate it.

Has anyone gotten this sensation before? It's not an aneurysm is it? What did it turn out to be?
    Go big or go home!

Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array

Posture.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    Posture.
    Posture can really cause this? Ugh, it was so scary, the burning got so bad that it almost felt like a chemical burn. I had half a mind to go dunk my head in some cold water. I don't really have pain or any other sensations anywhere else but in that part of my head and my neck. The burning sensation is still there, but it is mild now. Only noticeable enough to be annoying.
    Go big or go home!

Posture can cause all kind of weird aches and pains if your muscles are tense and knotted. It can cause pressure, decrease blood flow, pinch on nerves, and so forth.

I've had sensations like someone stabbed me in the side or in the top of my head lots of time before.

Blog Entries

Okay, but it's not an aneurysm sign? I mean, if it were, I'd be in real trouble already right? What do you suggest?

When I'm asleep, if I try to sleep on my back, I always end up on my stomach. I have a back massager that my boyfriend gave me, but it only works so well. Plus my other friend has stopped giving my back massages unless I pay him a buck (which, as I only get 12 dollars a week, is a lot of money for me).

Also: I am feeling a strange twinge in my right collarbone along with the burning sensation and neck pain. Both my pupils are contracting well, and neither of my eyelids look droopy.
    Go big or go home!

Massage your neck and shoulder with your left hand. I'd bet you'll find a sore spot.

Blog Entries

I can't find any knots. It's tense sure (I can only bend my neck to the left about halfway before it gets really tight feeling. When it comes to the left I can almost touch my right shoulder on that side.
    Go big or go home!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pinch your arm, and focus on that discomfort. Typically people can forget about their main pain if they redirect their attention someplace else like in a mild pinch. Worrying about the extremes will only make you worry even more without taking a step back and just looking at the actual medical basis for things.

Bad posture is for sure a contributor to a ton of things, but remember how you thought you had an aneurysm before and I am sure the many times before that and nothing happened? It is the same here. My back hurts, I have a headache right now from sitting on my chair hunched over looking at the laptop I know I should be sitting properly but I am just too lazy to lol. I know I am not having an aneurysm right now even though my head hurts because I would be on the ground right now in severe pain, maybe even dead. You just need to relax, maybe go be floppy and lazy on the couch and watch some mindless tv, it will not hurt to take a Tylenol in the meantime as well.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

If it were an aneurysm and it had burst then you'd likely not be talking to us anymore. If it were an aneurysm and it was leaking then you'd likely suffer from other mental or physical impairment. Hundred bucks says it's just your stiff neck and shoulders.

Blog Entries

Tex, if you're willing to send me a hundred bucks if I'm still around tomorrow, you're on! Lol. Oh, wait, I should be betting against that shouldn't I? Well....Anyway! haha.

I don't think I'm suffering from any abnormal mental/physical impairment. No more than my usual clumsiness. I have a tendency to normally trip over words so I don't know if that would be an indicator.
    Go big or go home!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast