Forum:

Thread: Strange fluttery feeling in upper chest/middle of throat

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Strange fluttery feeling in upper chest/middle of throat

About ten minutes ago I was watching something with Mom on Youtube, which made me laugh. After I laughed, I felt this fluttery feeling in the area of my throat and the middle of my upper chest. It freaked me out, but I've had things like that before, so I thought nothing of it, until it happened again. And again. I checked my pulse for my heart rate, and I got a flutter during that, but I didn't notice any palpitation or skipped beats.

I don't know what it is, and now I'm afraid to go to bed, because I don't want to stop breathing in the middle of the night. I read somewhere that it could be an EAR problem, like a pressure issue causing this, and I did pinch my nose to normalize my ears, and only my right one popped.

I've been VERY stressed today, at least in the morning and afternoon, because I had to go get fitted for a bridesmaid dress, and I was worried that I would not look good in the dress, and I was CONSTANTLY at odds with my mother today, screaming, shouting, the whole bit. The evening was much better; I did some dancing and bopping about (which I almost never do), and apart from pulling SOMETHING in my leg, that was fun. I went out for non-alcoholic drinks with my boyfriend, and then we came back to my house and watched some television.

It is also now about 2:20AM where I am, so I am quite tired.

I don't know if it's anxiety or a strange pressure or if it's just because I'm too tired to stay up. But now, as I said, I'm afraid to go to sleep. Could someone clarify what this could be?
    Go big or go home!

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

It very welll could be anxiety. Anxiety can cause you to be hyper tuned in to normal body sensations , noticing them and becoming focused on their cause can make them even more prevelent.

If you do have palpatations, I would hope you are seeking a doctors care for them, a palpatation can feel like a flutter, but almost anything can cause something like that sensation.

Most times our bodies are doing weird things and we don't even notice, but anxiety can cause one to pay way more attention than necessary to every little twitch, create worry and then sometimes more physical symptoms will stem from that.

Are you seeing a family doctor at this time? If not I definitely would and express these symptoms as well as any others you may have from time time , it would be good for them to rule out the things that cause you worry and to help diagnose if you do have anxiety... and begin working on treatments to help with that so that you can feel better.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a family doctor, but every time I even MENTION something like "I want to see a doctor" outside of an annual check up, my Mom goes mental (and sadly, I have to deal with that when I'm home for Winter Break).

I was doing a lot of physical activity today, which my body is definetly NOT used to, so maybe it was that? At the same time though, I'm a a bit (...okay, a LOT...) of a hypochondriac, so any sort of flutter makes me think I'm having a heart attack and I'm going to just hit the dirt right now. It also gets worse about 3-8 days before "that time" comes around, and I'm just about due.

I'm always highly anxious about everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was anxiety. I just wish I could, on my own, rule out any serious illnesses.
    Go big or go home!

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

I use to suffer from major hypochondria and anxiety. At one point a few years back I was in the ER several times for chest pains or weird skipped beats... I feared I was having a heart attack.

I would wake up in the middle of night afraid to go back to sleep fearing I would not wake up again. My life was heavily affected by this.

I knew I wasn't taking care of myself and was very overweight and that played into my anxiety, that and the fact I witnessed my own fathers heart attack prior to that.. all of that played into me feeling freaked out at anything that may be construed as a symptom of a heart attack... even though I was not really a candidate for one.

I finally admitted my fears to a doctor that did 2 things, placed me on an anti anxiety/anti depressent and ordered me a sleep study. It was discovered that I had sleep apnea (due to my weight) and that may have been causing a lot of my problems. They put me on a machine to wear while I slept.

I don't know if it was the machine and getting good nights sleep or if it was the medication, but my anxiety went away. I was no longer noticing or worrying about things going on in my body.

I then could focus on other things, I started working out and began a healthy diet and lost an increddible amount of weight. I didn't need the sleeping machine anymore.. weaned off the medication and have been fine ever since.

I am not saying that is what you have, or that you need medicine or any of that... I'm just sharing how seeing my doctor handled both the medical issue that could have been causing my problem as well as dealt with the mental side of it.

I don't think this is something you can take care of on your own... you'll need some pro-help to get through it.

I understand the issue with your mom, but I think she'd want to see you in the best health, mental and physical possible ... that will give her way less stress in the long run. The next time you go to a doctor for ANY reason, especially on your physical if there is no way to get in sooner (which I strongly encourage) let them know how much you worry and how it is impacting your life.

They can hopefully run tests that would rule out if you have anything physical going on, or treat you if you do and then can get you help be it a therapist, medicine, whatever you and your doctor decide is best for you to treat the anxiety... once the anxiety is under control your hypochondria , if you have that.... won't be an issue, at least not one that will impact your day to day life...

Sounds like to me you are losing sleep, spending lots of time worrying about things that may or may not really be problems. You deserve to be happy and enjoying life and I think that the way to get there will require some help from medical professionals.

I really and trully understand what you are going through and how the fear of something wrong can cripple you... and you deserve to be free from that.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Crystal, hey.

Forget the "hypochondriac" you can rid of that one day Whether on your own or with help...

Sure, whenever, there is a question unanswered? Anxiety will set in, pends on the person as to how much.. I myself thought the other day, heart attach but realised it was anxiety and I can't recall suffering from that, so your not alone and it doesn't matter how often, the good thing is you "posed that question", you "recognise" what things "may be", good for you

CW
    Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 12-20-2009 at 02:45 AM.
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anxiety does cause problems, you have experienced many things in the past based on what I have read in your posts. Based of this I would not be surprised it this is just over exaggerating a simple body twitch like HD mentioned.

However lets go to the medical side of things. There is no heart attack, you will not stop breathing, your a-okay like always . Going to the flutter though, your throat is not your heart so you do not need to worry about your pulse. If something serious was happening, like I have said before, you would likely be unconscious or in so much pain that you could be on the ground half dead already. You can breathe a breath of fresh air because the second I read "flutter in my throat" my immediate thought was you swallowed some air while laughing and you should burp it out. We have all had that really odd feeling of swallowing air and feeling it slowly go down and just feel like it is sitting in the middle of our throat.

You should certainly see a therapist about getting your hypochondriasis under control, it is by no means a life sentence disorder simply due to the success of many therapies now.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Junior Member Array cynicallove's Avatar

It sounds like a heart palpitation, I get those all the time from my anxiety, and it feels like something is fluttering around in your chest. Their usually harmless, but if it happens all the time, you should see a doctor to be sure. And this is just a opinion of what i think it is, don't take it as a diagnosis, lol.
    ♥There comes a point in your life when you realize who really matters, who never did, and who always will.♥