Forum:

Thread: Flutter in Throat (Argh, another problem!?)

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Flutter in Throat (Argh, another problem!?)

I've gotten this fluttery feeling in my throat before, and I have always been worried that it was something like an aortic aneurysm or heart palpitation.

I got the feeling while drinking a Sprite waiting for a bus after shopping. I've also had it after eating things like Doritos. I had the flutter feeling last Thursday/Friday evening as well.

Most of the time it feels strange and mildly uncomfortable, and makes me want to cough or burp. There is no real way to describe the feeling except that it feels like I have at least two butterflies stuck in my throat and behind my collarbone. I've checked my pulse at times when I feel the flutters and I don't seem to have a heart palpitation.

I'm worried about aortic aneurysms, but the only "Traumatic Injury" or injuries I've had recently were falling off of a scooter on a 45-degree incline and my sledding accident in the Winter of my Freshman year, where I landed on my front (chest to feet) and got the wind knocked right out of me. The only result of that injury that the doctors at the (backwater) hospital near my college could find was a severely strained knee-cap which still acts up sometimes.

Has anyone else had these flutter feelings before? What did they turn out to be, or does anyone still have them?
    Go big or go home!

Blog Entries

I checked my heart rate about a half an hour ago, and I had about 70 beats per minute, which is normal for me. I've been coughing a lot, and I'm still freaking out about whether it's just some sort of esophageal spasm or an aortic/thoratic aneurysm. I really hate to double post like this, but I wanted to update. If anyone knows anything please respond! I'm really getting scared.
    Go big or go home!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hun, it is not going to be an aneurysm. An actual aortic aneurysm would come on fast not slow and once ruptured it would give you about 30 seconds at most to live due to massive hemorrhaging-it takes a significant amount of damage to cause something like that to happen. Again, you would likely be dead or in the hospital in agonizing pain if there were some major concern.

Maybe you ate something and it scratched your throat a bit (example: a chip going down your throat funny?) and now the nerves are going nuts trying to make you cough and such. It is not life threatening whatever it is. Sometimes it is just as simple as you accidently swallowed some air.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Blog Entries

The thing is, ItsASecret, it's been going on intermittently since about 4:15pm EST.

It may be anxiety attacks...I've been really worried about my Maths grade, and I found out that I have to take another year of University. Plus, everytime I calm down, I only seem to get more worked up.

At one point I managed to take my pulse during a "flutter" and it felt like my heart beat twice normally, then paused, as if it wasn't beating. I told my boyfriend this, and he says that:
    a. he's had similar sensations before and
    b. it may have been my breathing concealing the pulse because I got so afraid.

I ended up going and taking a hot shower (and the humidity made it harder to breath for a bit until I adapted), and ended up shaving all the hair off my arms and legs, just as something to take my mind off of it.

I haven't eaten chips recently, but I have had a very poor diet since Sunday. I ate Taco bell and a hot dog on Sunday, Pizza Rolls and a slice of bread (plus two ice creams) on Monday, and Pizza Rolls and two ice creams today. I've been trying to drink more water.

Do you think something in my diet may have triggered it?
    Go big or go home!

Blog Entries

My boyfriend also said that my flutters may be a result of severe heartburn associated with the food I've been eating. I think today I'll eat salad mostly, and see if it's better.
    Go big or go home!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could be anything, anxiety, the food, simple worry? I am a student and I have been through the stress of adding an extra year of courses. I didn't get fluttery throat thing though. I don't think there is anything you can do. If you get nervous then of course your heart rate will go up so checking pulse only tells you exactly what should be happening in regards to your heart.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Blog Entries

Unhappy 2 Days...

It's been two days since my chest/throat flutter fiasco. I'm still scared that it's something involving my heart. My chest feels sort of...full. Not really bad, just sort of different. There's also a burning, sort of scratchy feeling in my throat down through my chest and into my stomach like I was burned by fire or acid. I've been coughing a lot, and burping frequently (or trying to) in order to relieve what feels like a lump in my throat, though it doesn't really interfere with swallowing. My chest area around my heart doesn't seem all that tender to me, but then again I don't know what I'd be looking for there... My boyfriend reassures me and insists he's felt that fluttery feeling before when he's had really bad heart-burn (which may be what I have, but of course I'm scared that it's an enlarged aortic aneurysm), but I'm still frightened. I really wish I could figure out what was going on.
    Go big or go home!