Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't like drinking anymore??

VIP Member Array

Default Don't like drinking anymore??

I wasn't sure where to put this threat but i guess general health is a good enough department. Anyway, recently i have not enjoyed drinking. I went through a period this fall where i drank quite often and quite a lot everytime. Then i would be a bad hangover. Like iv'e been getting really bad hangovers recently. I don't think its because i have been drinking more than usual in a time, perhaps i have but i have noticed that the hangovers have been much worse (compared to when i was like in highschool and stuff... im 22 now). Even still that never stopped me and i have always still enjoyed it. My parents have issues with alcohol. I tend to drink as an escape (i guess as a learned behaviour.. but not to put any blame on anyone other than myself) and I usually like it. Now however in the past month or so the thought of alcohol is not repulsive necessarily but rather unappealing. Same goes for cigarettes which i smoke at parties sometimes or if someone offers me one. When i do have a glass of wine or so i just feel grossed out by the taste and dislike the feeling. Im not pregnant. I just don't like the feeling anymore of putting toxins like that in my body. I don't like the feeling of it altering my mood. Im just not in a partying kind of mood these days. Maybe im getting old lol! Im totally fine with this.. who wants to be an alchy? lol! im just curious if anyone has gone through the same thing or if anyone could offer any insight... maybe a hormonal change? im not on the pill or anything though

Thanks so much for your opinions

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array MissMeSha810's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wink

Hey sweets. I feel somewhat the same. I've been an alcoholic since about the age of fifteen and it helps to block out old pains and disappointments from family. I've recently stopped because I felt like I was just hurting myself and find now that I just need to get away from whats been hurting for so many years. I never added ice or juice, all of my drinks were warm and straight! lol I didn't realize it until everyone at parties and even my husband started saying in a joking manner, you're an alcoholic!!! They didn't realize how right they were. But now I get depressed at times and keep thinking to myself, "Darn, I need a drink!!!" lol. You're not alone, it just takes time especially if you're doing it on your own. I'm here if you need me.....
    Love the skin you're in
    Be proud of who you are
    Never allow others to downgrade or discriminate
    Demand love, respect & attention
    Be true to yourself and love YOU first
    With love,
    MissMeSha 810

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've actually gone through the same thing. I used to drink a lot, do quite a few drugs, etc. In my early to mid 20's, I just stopped, everything.

There are a lot of addictions in my family, so I'm sure I'm predisposed to it and with my past drug use, I really don't even question it. So, I opted to not take the chance anymore.

Like you, it's not that I find it repulsive, I just don't feel the need to do it anymore, I don't like to not feel myself. I do, still have a drink on a rare occasion. I LOVE me a good margarita, but still, I'll have one maybe every couple of months and it has been years, probably 4 or 5 since I've actually had even a buzz.

When filling out paperwork at Dr's offices and I circle the NO when asked do you drink, smoke, or do drugs, I feel like everyone is going to call me a liar, lol, because it just doesn't seem that not many people don't do one of the 3 these days.

I can't really answer what it is caused by, I don't know. Sometimes, some people just grow out of things. I've done so many things in the past, altered my mind and body with so many drugs and drinking, I just don't find it exciting anymore. Plus, like I've said, I've seen it in my family, closely, I can't do that to myself or my family, so I just choose to stay away. It kind of shocks people from my past, when they find out I no longer drink, because, well, I could tie one on.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array

wow lanabear, your story could be mine. my family has a winding thread of every kind of addiction, and for a while i seem to be heading down that path but then stopped. my occasional weakness is a bailey's with milk. i probably have one every month or so. anyway to those who chose not to drink, especially with alcohol problems in the family. well done!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array p3375's Avatar

Cinn: I think you're listening to your body & spirit say 'stop' and that's a great thing. You're bein smarter than I was. If ya need help, even for a little bit, there's an AA chapter in just about every place in the country. Loads of good help there. If not for them, I wouldn't have had a chance. (3 years this June! )
    P

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

It could be that you've just gotten it out of your system.

There's no longer that element of excitement with drinking for me anymore, especially drinking to get drunk, so I've cut down considerably.

VIP Member Array

I used to party a lot in college, smoke while I drank, yadda yadda.... those were the days. THe days of wanting to get drunk.

20 Years later.....I usually have one drink a day and that's because I like the way it tastes. Mike's Hard Lemonade with 1/2 lemon pulp floating in it. Or frozen strawberri daiquirri's mixed in with my Schmirnoff Ice - usually with dinner.

I don't drink to get drunk....although once every 5 years or so, we'll get some friends together, shack up in a hotel room and just have fun and not worry about driving. Those days are always fun but the hangovers are much harder to deal with when you get older!!!

Don't sweat it.....You don't need to drink. Drinking is different things to different people. If you don't enjoy it anymore, then don't drink anymore - or atleast until you find a new 'excitement' to have a drink again.

July 2011 Poster of the Month Array kristalyn_04's Avatar

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to drink... or do anything else for that matter. In fact, you're probably better off! Speaking as someone who had parents with substance abuse problems, I personally choose not to drink, do drugs, or even smoke. My mother had a drug problem most of my life (hard-core drugs too) as well as a drinking problem, although now she has been in recovery for a few years. My father had a drinking problem, and lost his life 10 years ago as a result. My paternal grandmother smoked 3 packs of cigarettes every day (gross), and died of health complications about a year and a half ago. Seeing all of this as I was growing up, I chose to NEVER touch any of it because I have a predisposition to develop a problem. I have worked too hard for everything I have accomplished thus far, and I'm not willing to risk throwing it all away because of an addiction.

I'm almost 27 years old now, and I am proud to say, to this day I have kept that promise to myself... never had a drink, never touched an illegal drug, and never put a cigarette to my mouth. Addiction is an unfortunate disease, yes, but it is also a personal choice... and I choose to NOT fall into it. Make the right choices for yourself, good luck.
    How can you see where you're going if you spend your whole life looking over your shoulder? –Naughty Ninja

VIP Member Array

Thanks for all your feedback and sharing your stories

Junior Member Array

I'm a recovering alcoholic for 7 years now - consider yourself blessed and very lucky. Drinking is an option to living not a requirement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast