Forum:

Thread: Needle-like pain over eye when chewing

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Needle-like pain over eye when chewing

Hey guys, how are you?

Last night I noticed a very sharp, needle or pin-like sensation over my left eye, on the bony bit between my eyebrow and eye socket, when I was chewing on the left side and my eye watered slightly (probably from pain?). I was eating Pocky, a japanese biscuit stick covered in chocolate. I thought with rest it would go away.

Not so. Currently, I am munching on a small serving of Doritos, and if I chew on my left side, I get the exact same sensation and the watery eye. I am not sure if it is related to my jaw (which has been clicking and popping on the left side), or if a nerve is aggravated at all. I get a dull ache over my eye in the same place when I clench my teeth on the left side very hard.

I am not terribly worried about it, as I am not suffering from any visual issues like blurred vision or double vision, but it is rather irritating, and I would like to know what may be going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Go big or go home!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array CrystalChord's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry to double post! But I just wanted to let you know: It only happens with hard, crunchy foods. My dinner was ham, broccoli and rice, all soft, and I had little to no irritation.
    Go big or go home!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is your nerves firing at uncontrolled rates, also called a slight muscle spasm. Nothing to worry about, again, just keep munching
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Junior Member Array

Default I am experiencing the same thing.... Needle like pain around eye area when eating..

Quote Originally Posted by ItsASecret View Post
    It is your nerves firing at uncontrolled rates, also called a slight muscle spasm. Nothing to worry about, again, just keep munching

is that what it is?

Im 26yrs old and it happened to me today and I was eating something crunchy. My right eye started to water and I felt needle like pain around my eye and eyebrow (where one would typically pinch if they had a headache).

Its so strange!- I think I do grind my teeth, and I am getting a night guard soon... is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks
    Anna