Forum:

Thread: Veiny area below breast. Cause of concern?

Junior Member Array

Question Veiny area below breast. Cause of concern?

Hello all!
    Here goes my question. I got this weird, veiny area below my right breast on my abdomen recently (like a month or two ago). It's small, thin, purplish veins. It's in a under-curving shape below my breast. It continues to my right side of rib cage.
    Some other information: I have been having digestive (colon) problems. Could it be related? I'm 21, female. I hadn't noticed the veiny area until after I started having the digestive problems (which has been since Nov. of last year). Also, my breasts have been hard (sort of like when my period is nearing) since this whole ordeal. The sides of my rib cage sort of feel heavy, or like it's full. I don't know how to describe it.
    Is this a cause of concern? I'm so scared.
    The photos I included are darkened a bit so it's visible on screen.

Thanks so much for reading and/or responding!

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some other information: I have been having digestive (colon) problems. Could it be related?
    No

Skin is thin. Dark veins underneath will be seen (your wrists for example). I notice veins that I did not notice other days only because I take the time to look for them. The days after I do not see them because I barely put any notice to them. Real concerns would be rashes, infections, red bumps, swelling, and irritation....as in something is visibly not correct. I highly doubt there is anything to be concerned about.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They look like (spider )varicose veins usually located in your leg, from bad circulation and also it's heriditory.

Does your family have a history of varicose veins?

As the above poster stated, I wouldn't worry about it.. I can understand why you don't like the look of it, but it doesn't look that bad...

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Junior Member Array

First, thanks so much for writing!
    Yes, the veins do look like vericose veins. I'm not worried about how it looks. I'm worried that there could be a tumor growing (I have no accurate idea of how tumors develop). Or that something inside could be happening.

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tumors tend to be "lumps" that you feel and consequently, query and then establish..what they are.

If they look like vericose veins to me, and to you, then more than likely that is what they are.... I have a couple of small ones on my legs, been there forever, though hardly noticiable
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Junior Member Array

But what makes these veins appear? I feel no lumps under there, but I still feel uncomfortable.
    My doctor said I could have IBD; do the intestines go that far up near the rib cage that that's what could be causing my uncomfortable feeling?

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But what makes these veins appear?
    Its often simply due to dehydration.

My doctor said I could have IBD; do the intestines go that far up near the rib cage that that's what could be causing my uncomfortable feeling?
    No they are basically smushed into the abdomen. If the intestines are doing something your abdomen will feel uncomfortable, not necessarily your upper body.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

jns
    Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array jns's Avatar

They do not seem consistent with the usual symptoms of IBD. Maybe your doctor could explain. I suppose if there was bloating it could be possible, but your pictures are not consistent with bloating.

After you are assured that everything is OK, you can mask the look of them by getting a tan or using sunless tanning products.

Junior Member Array

It's scary to me because the veins have appeared in a distinct shape and area. It makes me think there's something wrong there.

Again, I appreciate all your replies - thanks so much!! It helps to talk about it. I didn't want to alarm my mother further, so that's why I posted here.

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdflies View Post
    Hello all!
    Here goes my question. I got this weird, veiny area below my right breast on my abdomen recently (like a month or two ago). It's small, thin, purplish veins. It's in a under-curving shape below my breast. It continues to my right side of rib cage.
    Some other information: I have been having digestive (colon) problems. Could it be related? I'm 21, female. I hadn't noticed the veiny area until after I started having the digestive problems (which has been since Nov. of last year). Also, my breasts have been hard (sort of like when my period is nearing) since this whole ordeal. The sides of my rib cage sort of feel heavy, or like it's full. I don't know how to describe it.
    Is this a cause of concern? I'm so scared.
    The photos I included are darkened a bit so it's visible on screen.

Thanks so much for reading and/or responding!
    Did you ever find out what was wrong? I'm also 21 and have been having digestive problems and noticed red veins around my rib cage / under breast. Haven't got around to going to doctors yet. Any information would be useful!