Forum:

Thread: How much does it cost to test for Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Junior Member Array crackerlady2007's Avatar

Question How much does it cost to test for Rheumatoid Arthritis?

My friend, a nurse, suggested that I get tested because the symptoms I've been having remind her of that. I'm 21, female, and single, so I can't get on insurance. I don't have a lot of money, but I know my parents will take care of me. I just hate to ask for money. Does anyone know how much a test like that would cost me? She said it would cost "hundreds" but if I don't get it tested and I do have it, the disease can be disabling. At this point, I don't know which way to turn, but I'm sure ready to figure something out.

Junior Member Array

Default Living with progressed RA

You should be able to find out the cost when you visit your doctor/clinic. They have to order the test so you do have to go see one. If you test negative for the RA factor then they may want to begin "elimination" testing. They would most likely want to test you for dozens of other pain causing aliments, everything from Lupus to Lyme disease.

My boyfriend, who was dignosed at the age of 12, first tested negative and then after the elimination tests they tested him again for RA and tested positive. I would have to say that the road to an RA diagnosis can be a long one, but it is one that for the betterment of your life and prevention of possible disfigurement, you Need to go down.

What are you symptoms? are you experiencing any decrease in mobility? have you gotten "knots" in your muscles prior to inflamation and pain in a nearby joint? Have you now or in the recent past experienced a period of extreme pain and "flu" like sympoms - to the point where standing dosen't seem like a good idea? Are you showing signs through out your body or just in a single joint?

- Living with the results of untreated RA is life altering, disabling, painfull, and unnecessary. They have treatments/preventive medications.

Remember : Money is just a noun and means nothing, your body is the only one you have and should mean everything.

Forget the cost, most medical establishments will work out payment plans with anyone in need of treatment/diagnosis.

I feel like flying to Rhode Island, finding Toungeofdragon, and giving you a big hug! Thank you so much for the encouragement. Yes I've been feeling terrible. Every time it rains I get so achy I just want to bawl. Right now I'm typing at about half speed because my wrists hurt too bad. Last night my elbows, knees, and ankles felt like they were on fire...and that was after soaking and taking 800mg ibuprofen! The night before I got about 3 hours of sleep total. I've got to just go get some help. I just...oh...I hate asking for money.

I thought everyone might like to know that I visited my doctor yesterday. She said I have RA. Now we have to get tests to prove it before I can get medication to help it. I understand this is no easy or fast thing to do. In the mean time she gave me a list of things to take to help soothe the symptoms. She told me to take 800mg Folic Acid 2 times a day, 1200mg calcium every day, 1000mg Fish Oil 2 times a day, and 800mg ibuprofen 3 times a day. Then she ordered a bunch of tests for me that are going to cost around $80 for the first round. I'm just taking things one day at a time right now. It's too much to try thinking of the future.