Forum:

Thread: UTI Antibiotic Allergies...

Junior Member Array

Default UTI Antibiotic Allergies...

For my 1st UTI I had Cipro, I was fine.
    For recurrent UTI, I took Bactrim, I had allergic reaction to it.
    So I switched to Augmentin, but couldn't tolerate severe diarrhea.
    So switched to Cipro, but day 3 I was expressing mild allergic reaction to it.
    Same with Macrobid, the one I tried next.
    This happened in April.
    Now, I am on Keflex for my current UTI.
    Right off the 1st dose, I had mild allergic reaction: chest was hot and felt suppressed, breathe became small but was still able to force myself to breathe, felt a bit hot and itchy here and there...
    I've been wondering why I am becoming allergic to all these drugs. I am suspecting Bactrim since all drugs I took after that I had allergic reactions, but can't be sure.
    Should I go see allergist?
    I called in but my doctor doesn't see it as allergic rxn to Keflex.
    I don't want to have full-blown allergy though, yet I want my UTI treated....
    Any comments will help, because I feel so depressed about my life ever since..
    Thanks muchos!

VIP Member Array

Are you absolutely sure these are allergies or are you anxious? Your symptoms sound like you are having anxiety attacks.

Did your lips, mouth, ears, or fingers start to get tingly when you felt that your breath was suppressed?

The Bactrim most likely didn't start making you allergic to those others meds. There are a few different classes of antibiotics that you have been on. I would recommend that you do stay away from the Augmentin if it caused you to have severe diarrhea. Keep that listed as an allergy in your medical records.

Junior Member Array

I had a small swelling of the lips, my ears were flaring up inside, and my left cheek felt hot for few seconds..

By the way, I have white stuff on my tongue deep inside. Could it be yeast? I've only taken Keflex 3 times so far..

I'm going to stop taking this drug. I think my UTI did go away, but I'm not sure if it will come back if I don't take any more antibiotics.

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The thing is if you stop taking antibiotics without your doctors consent you will cause the bacteria that are causing the infection to build up a tolerance since you did not completely wipe them out. In other words the next time you take antibiotics for an infection they will be slightly resistant to the drug and therefore not be as affected by it leading to a longer infection time.

You need to ask your doctor what to do. Antibiotics do not cause allergies very often, if they do it is rare and should be noted to a doctor. Much of what you are experiencing could be due to anxiety, you take the pill even though you are worried of a break out and low and behold a break out happens because you are worried. Allergic reactions also do not last a few seconds like you mentioned about your cheeks. That is anxiety, your body temp increased for a bit and hence the rosey cheeks. You will still need antibiotics for any infections so you will still need to see a doctor and bringing up this with your doctor is the only way you are going to get a real answer to your concerns.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

VIP Member Array

Just like ItsASecret said, do NOT stop taking the antibiotics until they are all gone or unless your doctor instructs you to do so. You really don't want to have an infection with bacteria resistant to the antibiotics meant to cure them, especially Keflex. That's a pretty strong antibiotic. I think that you are experiencing anxiety and as far as the white stuff in your mouth, it could be from thrush which is basically a yeast infection of the mouth. It can be cause by being on antibiotics for a long time or taking high doses of them.

"If you develop a mild case of thrush after taking antibiotics, eating yogurt or taking over-the-counter acidophilus capsules can help.

Use a soft toothbrush and rinse your mouth with a diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide solution several times a day.

Good control of blood sugar levels in persons with diabetes may be all that is needed to clear a thrush infection.

Your doctor may prescribe an antifungal mouthwash (nystatin) or lozenges (clotrimazole) to suck on if you have a severe case of thrush or a weakened immune system. These products are usually used for 5 - 10 days. If they don't work, other medication may be prescribed" (PubMed Health, 2011).

Junior Member Array

Thank you guys so much!
    Well, I've talked to my doctor and he told me to stop Keflex. He thinks I'm fine because he doesn't see any white blood cell in urine, and if I do have infection he said I should just drink lots of fluids..
    I saw my symptoms come back yesterday when I stopped that drug.
    I took 5 capsules of Solaray's d-Mannose with CranActin yesterday, and today took 6 so far and planning on 2 more tonight..
    Direction says use only as directed which is 2 a day, but I've been seeing people online saying they take more than that..
    There's nothing wrong with taking it frequently right?

I'm planning to chug gallons of water and maybe take 2 d-mannose starting tomorrow.
    In case it doesn't go away, should I see doctor after a week?
    Also, just so that I know, when should I go to the ER?

Honestly, I don't know anyone who has had UTIs so I thank you all for listening to me

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Direction says use only as directed which is 2 a day, but I've been seeing people online saying they take more than that..
    There's nothing wrong with taking it frequently right?
    Directions are there for a reason, best to follow them unless a doctor says it is okay. Online folk, especially bloggers, are often full of false information thinking that they can cure anyone because they believe they can best a doctor. The actual things you are taking are likely to do nothing at all to help 'cure' you, but you can take them as directed anyway they wont harm you unless you end up taking a whole bottle at once type thing. Drinking fluids will help with lessening an infection like that, also cranberry juice can help. Doctors prescribe antibiotics, they will recommend you drink water and cranberry juice but when it comes to pseudomethods like online people saying "here eat this tree bark" they will tell you to avoid anything like that including anything that says "here buy my online pills they cure everything!!!!!". Nothing is automatically going to rid you of an infection it will take a few days of taking care of yourself and following what the doctor says.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

VIP Member Array

D-Mannose does cure UTI's. the only problem is sometimes the pain gets so bad that you think it's not working. Happened 2 times with my daughter! It's the pain. It completely stopped the UTI one time. Infection gone after she was rechecked. I guess we caught it early.
    Next time, pain got so bad that she ended up on antibiotics. Same this time. It's good to find another alternative than antibiotics if you can.
    Also, Uvi Ursi seems to work, High doses of vit. C, like 5000 mgs will wipe it out. Don't take Vit C with uvi ursi, this herb works best in alkaline envirment. Dr. Oz also said to take Vit. C at first signs of it. Also, I've heard Colliadal silver.

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

I had a bad reaction to Macrobid when being treated for a UTI. Mine were apparently very rare allergic reactions. Depression, pain in the back of my knees, crying hysterically over NOTHING, etc. Doctor immediately said to stop taking and switched me to something else.

Lots of people experience diarrhea while taking strong antibiotics. It's good to take probiotics or eat yogurt with live cultures to get some healthy bacteria back in your tummy.

You can also take an Azo Cranberry daily to help prevent UTI's going forward.

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."