Forum:

Thread: Irregular Heart Beat

Default Irregular Heart Beat

About four years ago I was diagnosed with graves disease, for anyone who doesnt know, its basically hyper thyroidism. My dr said that it wasnt severe enough to take medication and basically just expect heart palpitations and other symptoms. I also have a small heart murmur. I havent felt any heart palpitations for over a year until recently. I havent figured out any rhyme or reason (maybe food or activity??) but about every third day my heart sort of sinks.

It beats extremely irregular and almost feels like it is in my throat. The best way to describe it is like when you are on a roller coaster and your stomach "flip flops". The last time it happened I checked my pulse in my neck and it was rediculous, four really fast beats, long pause, two very fast, one...and then I took a breath. Anyway, what has me worried is that it almost feels like I cant take a breath and I get very light headed. If I'm not sitting when it happens I have to when it does. Once I take a breath it stops, it just has me concerned because it is nothing like it was before. Any ideas?

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hello, Happy1...

Do you also suffer from "low blood pressure"?

I have to say that 4 years ago, is 4 years ago things can change, so go back and see the Doctor and describe exactly what you just described.

If you also think you have low blood pressure, light headedness for no real reason, then you need to take in more iron, "tablets" or lovely green things, as many as you fathom daily.... Get the iron intake built up..

But, nothing is worth risking when worse than usual... Go back and get yourself checked again...

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Gold Contributor 500+ Posts Array shweedart's Avatar

well after reading this it would seem I too have an irregular heart beat but its not every day i notice it...but finally when i do i've taken note and mine goes something like:

2 fast 2 slow (the 2 slow have about 3 seconds between them) then 2 fast again.

I've got a family history of Anemia so I assumed the light headed-ness was down to that but sometimes it can get so bad that I lost my vision for a few minutes and the most painful headache. The only way i can describe the way my vision goes is you know when your TV goes fuzzy? and its all white and black dots flickering about?

I told my Mum about it and she said there was nothing wrong with me so I've never been to the doctors about it

do you get anything along those lines too?

December 2008 "Poster of the Month" Array miffed23's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shweedart View Post
    well after reading this it would seem I too have an irregular heart beat but its not every day i notice it...but finally when i do i've taken note and mine goes something like:

2 fast 2 slow (the 2 slow have about 3 seconds between them) then 2 fast again.

I've got a family history of Anemia so I assumed the light headed-ness was down to that but sometimes it can get so bad that I lost my vision for a few minutes and the most painful headache. The only way i can describe the way my vision goes is you know when your TV goes fuzzy? and its all white and black dots flickering about?

I told my Mum about it and she said there was nothing wrong with me so I've never been to the doctors about it

do you get anything along those lines too?
    I had to double check that i hadnt posted this

I havent been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat, but ive self diagnosed that i do ... although, it strangely has never really worried me, as it will only become noticeable sporadically... and when it does, it feels like its in my mouth and throat and its all fluttery. Like you, i have to sit down also, but it only lasts for a few seconds and i dont get short of breath or anything, its just.... well.... weird.

The fact that yours is happening to you more often than not, causes concern. Like CW said, 4 years is a long time and things may have changed, so get checked out.

It will leave you lightheaded, as your heart isnt working to the best of its ability, and therefore, not pumping the blood to where you need it most.

Do you exercise? If so, was it is like then?

Spelling error...

**.....If so, WHAT is it like then? Not, was it is like then
    Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 08-13-2008 at 04:13 PM.
    “As you regonise that you already own the wholeness you seek, and no one outside you can give you more than you already are, dysfunctional situations will evaporate like bad dreams exposed to the morning sun.”

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Phoebee's Avatar

Irregular Heart Beat and BP issues? Atenolol worked for me.
    "Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." ~ Janis Joplin

Shweedrt, I have had brief "black outs", like I will be driving and black just sinks in from the sides of my eyes until I cant see. I dont really pass out or anything but I cant see, thats about the closest thing I have felt to what you were describing. I am light headed more lately, like I could pass out but I do my best to eat and drink when I feel that way, I dont know if that actually helps but in my head it does

Miffed23, I do work out, I run about four times a week, I have never felt anything while I am working out, I usually feel pretty good.

Blood pressure is excellent,or so I have been told, I dont really know what the numbers mean I do have anemia...never really thought about that being part of it. My hands have been shaky for about three weeks, enough that when I am holding papers people will ask me if I'm ok, I thought maybe that was sugar...??? I will make an appointment though, today I had funky sharp chest pains, I am sure its nothing, maybe delayed reaction to stressssssssss....

Gold Contributor 500+ Posts Array shweedart's Avatar

I get my blood pressure taken every 2-3 months when I collect my pill so its all fine there

The only ways I've found to be effective to get my heart back to normal is if i do a big cough when I feel its misbehaving or giving myself a thud in the chest with my hand

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Phoebee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shweedart View Post
    I get my blood pressure taken every 2-3 months when I collect my pill so its all fine there

The only ways I've found to be effective to get my heart back to normal is if i do a big cough when I feel its misbehaving or giving myself a thud in the chest with my hand
    Hon talk to your doctor about this. I read "somewhere?" about that heart "cough" and it might be an early warning that your doctor should be aware of.

Be well!
    "Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." ~ Janis Joplin

Junior Member Array

Default I Have The Same Thing

Yesterday about mid-morning, I felt fluttering in my chest. I knew it was my heart. I never had this before in my life. Eary this morning I went to the restroom and still could feel do it again and again. Needless to say I went to the ER around 6am. The Doctors did a EKG, drew my blood, I was also on a heart monitor and every time the flutering happened you could see it on the monitor strike up and than below the line. Dr. said "It's a skipped heart beat, nothing to worry about. Many people get them all the time and some people don't know they are having. As in your case you do." I'm very tuned in with my body and what I feel is going on. He also said it's from anxiety snd stress and that I need to have a follow up with my primary Dr.He even told me that my health is not at risk being how my heart rate is just perfect except for this. I'm still scared of this feeling in my chest>>>>

Junior Member Array

Default Something Else Important to Consider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin~Girl View Post
    Yesterday about mid-morning, I felt fluttering in my chest. I knew it was my heart. I never had this before in my life. Eary this morning I went to the restroom and still could feel do it again and again. Needless to say I went to the ER around 6am. The Doctors did a EKG, drew my blood, I was also on a heart monitor and every time the flutering happened you could see it on the monitor strike up and than below the line. Dr. said "It's a skipped heart beat, nothing to worry about. Many people get them all the time and some people don't know they are having. As in your case you do." I'm very tuned in with my body and what I feel is going on. He also said it's from anxiety snd stress and that I need to have a follow up with my primary Dr.He even told me that my health is not at risk being how my heart rate is just perfect except for this. I'm still scared of this feeling in my chest>>>>
    Hello All Irregular and fast heartbeat/panic attack sufferers,
    I have suffered from fast heartbeats/panic attacks for many years now. I have eventually resolved all of my problems. I suffered from fast heart beats at night, every night, where I would wake up in the morning with heart stress problems, I suffered from panic attacks all day and all night, I suffered from irregular heart beats all day and all night. The difficulty I have is in communicating how I solved my problems in a way in which it is readily understood. I am going to be extremely economical with my words here on this forum. First of all, please appreciate that I have suffered with these problems for around 10 years continuously! Please consult with your doctor to make sure you do not have a known medical problem first. I am not giving advice. I am only expressing what worked for me.

This is how I solved all of my problems by trial and error.

1. I found by trial and error that there was a direct relationship between what I ate and drank and the severity and continuance of my panic attacks/fast/irregular heart beats. When I removed alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, sugar or any ingredient which I consumed which had sugar in it, like tomato ketchup.

Certain drinks also caused problems, these were pure Pineapple juice and pure orange juice, carbonated water.

I also discovered that vitamins such as vitamin B complex and vitamin D also caused severe problems.

Other items the forbidden foods list included, Wheat Grass, Honey, Maple Syrup, L-Arginine and Milk Thistle.

In my opinion, you will have to eliminate all these things together if you want to get control of your anxiety, panic attacks, irregular/fast heart beat problems.

If the above works for you, you may notice as I did that it takes 3 months for all the aforementioned forbidden list to work itself out of your system.

I noticed that I had extreme "Power surges" at night. These power surges led immediately to panic attacks. I found that these power surges were incontrovertibly linked to eating any of the above. Sometimes, they were so severe I had out of body experiences. When I stopped consuming the above, I found that the massive power surges no longer had any effect on provoking a panic attack, no matter how severe it was!

2. By accident I found that when I relaxed my stomach muscles, I could not only control my anxiety, panic attacks and feelings of dread immediately, but it gave me something tangible that I could do to see immediate results.

I found that by relaxing my stomach muscles my panic attacks and fast/racing heart beats would calm down immediately. If I woke up with a panic attack, I found that by relaxing my stomach muscles, it would dissipate very fast. I soon realised that there was a direct link between how I stressed my stomach muscles and my palpitations/panic attacks, irregular heart beats.

I practiced hard to relax my stomach muscles continuously throughout the day until I could do it all day. It is very, very hard to do, especially at all times. I still find myself unconsciously tightening my stomach muscles even though I am now well practiced with it. Learning to walk with my stomach muscles relaxed, with my belly hanging out all day and every where takes incredible amounts of concentration.

3. I found that my panic attacks subsided to nothing over three months. The problem was, I was still having fast, racing and uncontrollable heart beats every night. I found that I solved the problem by doing this:

I slept sitting upright as much as possible, with my back propped up with pillows! This always calmed my heart down near enough immediately. Unfortunately, the prospect of sleeping always upright was not a pleasant one.

Before I found the solution to this problem, I noticed I would always feel airey and light headed at night. Sometimes, this would be accompanied with feelings of euphoria or dread. I discovered that there was a direct link between what I ate and the experiences of "extreme changes in blood pressure".

"Whenever I tried to sleep lying down, my heart would immediately start racing fast again. "

Knowing that this was a blood pressure regulation problem, I realised and understood that I would have to continue sleeping this way until my body corrects itself. When I started sleeping upright, it was the first time I had real untroubled sleep at night.

After a few difficult weeks sleeping this way, my blood pressure regulation problems returned, with the self-same feelings of dread or aireyness. This also came with power surges and feigned panic attacks! I understood this to mean that my body was telling me that sleeping upright was not good anymore. I eased my sleeping position down one notch. Good sleep was restored, until it happened again a week later. I repeated the matter of reducing my sleeping position down gradually, by one notch. This gave me immediate relief. I continued repeating this until I was lying flat. This probably took me about a month to do. When I was eventually lying flat I then found that all negative feelings and experiences disappeared. I would sometimes wake at night to check that my heart was not racing without me being aware of it. I continued to check on myself in this way for 6 weeks. There were no problems again. I still have not had any problems.

Other factors which contributed to my full recovery from all of the above:
    a. Drinking plenty of still mineral water, especially at night(very important).
    b. Eating only fresh and raw foods during the day, but eating cooked meals in the evening, maintaining my due diligence.
    c. Avoiding the aforementioned stimulants, caffeine, sugar, alcohol and nicotine.
    d. Going to bed early and making sure that I was in bed by 9.30pm. This part is the whole pillar or foundation on ensuring my full recovery. I found that there was a direct link between my sleeping habits, stress, anxiety, panic attacks, irregular heart beats and racing palpitations.

In other words, I found that all the problems I had, were caused by one simple thing, regular, late and abusively consistent late nights. All the other things mentioned above just aggravated the problems. In other words, my body needed rest.

I have found that after a huge trials, tribulations and struggles with all the aforementioned matters, I am a much better, rested and content person.
    I find that I have more energy now than what I did before. In fact, I found that I am much stronger physically and fitter than many people half my age - I am 48 - who are in the gym every week.

I have written a self help PDF file on how to recover from all the above. If any of you want to read it just make a request and I will send it to you by email. I hope what I have written helps all who reads.