Forum:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding after intercourse with an IUD

Junior Member Array

Default Bleeding after intercourse with an IUD

Hi ladies..
    I have had an IUD for almost 1 1/2 years now.. I love it.. BUT.. just last night my fiance and I had sex.. and everytime afterwards I go to the bathroom and clean up.. Well, i did.. and I went pee- and wiped and there was blood.. Now, I just got done with my period not quite a week before.. so I'm really nervous.. I don't know whats going on. I've tried to look stuff up online, but I'm not getting very clear answers.. It says that there can be problems more likely if you don't have children, but I do.. I have a 1 1/2 year old..
    Please give me some advice on what to do.. I'm just scared I'm going to be pregnant or something.. do you think I should get a pregnancy test?? Ahh!! Help me

Junior Member Array

Smile Similar problem

I don't have an explaination, but that just happened to me today. I've had the Mirena IUD for a little over a year now and my last Dr exam a couple of months back was normal. I usually have pain during intercourse for the first few minutes then it goes away. I also almost always have light bleeding after intercourse as well. It's not too much, but enough to turn the mess pink.
    Today while at work, I felt a little wet. I didn't think much of it because ever since I had the IUD inserted, now I have to wear panty liners all the time; so I thought it was just another mucus discharge (which is normal, by the way). When I was leaving, i went to the restroom and my entire panty liner was bloody with lots of blood clots. it was heavy enough to soak through my pants. I had no pain, no warning, nothing. About a month back I remember having sharp pains ono the right side of my abdomen. They would come and go whenever. it could have just been gas ( I actually went to the hospital one time thinking a gas pain was something seriously wrong) again.
    After frantically searching the internet for about an hour today, the only thing I can come up with is an ovarian cyst. from what I understand, Ovarian cysts are normal in IUD users. However, when one pops and causes bleeding, pain would be a factor too. No pain for me. if i'm still bleeding tomorrow I will call my doctor and make an appointment.
    I will keep you updated. If you find out anything as well, please keep me posted.

Junior Member Array

Default having issues with IUD, too (?)

I've had Mirena since June 08. Got after a miscarriage in April. Had intercourse Monday night with no pain (no pain with intercourse ever). Went to sleep, woke up about an hour later with severe cramps. Was in tears, could not walk but no bleeding. Lasted about 30-40 minutes. Yesterday my whole abdomen below my belly button was tender to touch, but still no bleeding. Today the tenderness is less, but still present. Coughing, sneezing especially sensitive. Getting ready for bed & am now spotting. Am worried about 1) perforation, 2) PID. Any feedback? I have no insurance so I'm reluctant to spend the $100 on a basic office visit if cramping/spotting may be nothing serious but am a little scared. Haven't checked for the strings, has anyone tried that on their own? Gyno said at insertion that we may be able to feel them. I've had cysts before, even rupture, not the same pain but almost as intense. Not heavy bleeding, just spotting, bright red. Any information appreciated!

Junior Member Array

Default more info...

Just re-read first post: I basically don't have a period anymore, just some spotting around that time. But I also almost always spot a little after sex, like you when cleaning up or peeing. Usually put a pantyliner on overnight but done by morning. Again, no pain during or after until 2 nights ago. I've actually lost track of when my period would normally occur. I never have to use a pad or tampon, just a liner for a day or two. Discharge is usually pink or brown, hardly ever red or bright red. Hope this may help all of us!

Junior Member Array

Default What my doctor told me about the string

I specifically rememeber my Dr telling me the day that he put the IUD in my uterus (Oct 2007) that my fiance will feel the string poking him during intercourse. He said that it might be a little uncomfortable for him, but after a short while the string will soften and should nestle right under the IUD. After that happens, then we won't feel the string at all. When I went back to the Dr in Oct 2008 for the yearly check-up, he checked the IUD. He said that everything was fine and the string is right where it should be.

Junior Member Array Jungle_Judy's Avatar

The biggest thing with an IUD is infections!!! It can travel much faster into your uterus and cause a severe infection rapidly as the bacteria travels up the strings from the vagina into the uterus!!! I had an IUD for 2 years with the same partner, I am only 21 I have experienced all of the symptoms all you women are talking about Spotting, Increased Discharge all different colors of the Rainbow, and severe cramping and lower back pain, Pain during sex, and most of all pain during orgasm!!! I Ending up with PID and was very sick!!! As much as some women swear by an IUD it was awful for me I reccomend going to see your doctor! If your body is sending you signs by discharge or pain its because its trying to tell you "hello up there something is wrong down here" lol I think going to see a doctor is your best course of action the last thing you want to end up with a Pelvic inflammatory disease!!!

Jungle

Junior Member Array

Default Bleeding with Orgasm

I had an Merina (spelling?) IUD inserted on 1/20/09. Since the day it was put in I have been discharging blood in various states. It finally started to stop and that was when I realized that it only came back after I had an orgasm. It is always followed by dull cramping. Never anything that hurts to bad, but enough to have me worry. Also my string has moved from only 1-2 cm poking from the cervix to the end of the string being just inside of the opening of the vaginal canal.

I have been to the doctor for this but they said everything looked normal and pushed the string back in, but the blood colored discharge has never really stopped and the string is back at the entrance.

I'm not sure what to do so I wonder if anyone has any opinions.

Junior Member Array

Default Me to

I have had my IUD for about 3 years.. and little by little it is worse.. not right after I have sex with my husband but a few days after I bleed and it is painful and dark red.. I have been to the Doctor more then 3 times for the same reason and I never get an answer .. I need help to

Junior Member Array

It's comforting to know you're not the only one -
    I see it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but in my "googling" I found this information at answers.com (wikianswers) and thought you all might appreciate it:

Bleeding after intercourse (post-coital bleeding in doctor talk) can occur for several reasons. Infection is one of the most common. Anything from a yeast infection to a sexually transmitted disease like gonorrhea or chlamydia can irritate the cervix to the point where trauma from sex can lead to bleeding. Benign polyps of the cervix (small projections of tissue) may also bleed. Cancer caevix : Abnormal cervical cells, are also more easily irritated and may bleed with intercourse. IUCD : Women who use an IUD or diaphragm may experience such bleeding from irritation and friction. Vaginal Tear:Sometimes the bleeding is not from the cervix, but rather from a tear in the vagina; tears can happen with vigorous sex or if you are dry. For repeated bleeding after intercourse you need to see a gynecologist. The exam should include a Pap smear for abnormal cervical cells, unless you have had the test within the last couple of months. Infections need to be ruled out by examination and culture. Polyps can be detected and removed. If a tear is found, usually lubricants or changes in style of intercourse will be recommended. In any case, you must not ignore bleeding after intercourse, especially if it happens repeatedly.

Junior Member Array

I am worried too. I have had a Copper IUD for a little over 3 years and last night the hubby and I had intercourse and today I cough and very dark blood, not spotting. I rushed to the bathroom and all of a sudden it was like a lot of blood. This has never happened before. Anything from ya'll?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast