Forum:

Thread: Am I allergic to latex condoms or just lubricant?

Junior Member Array

Question Am I allergic to latex condoms or just lubricant?

I mentioned in my previous post that im allergic to latex. That was simply just a quick way of getting the idea across. in more detail however, i found that when i would have sex with latex condoms, my labia minora inflames and swells and becomes very tender, my left more than my right also. and it can take up to a two days for it to go down.

i assumed this was because i was allergic to latex in my vulva area and switched to non-latex condoms - these are ridiculously expensive (($25-40 depending on the store, for a packet of ten)). but i noticed that when i go for pap smears the doctors gloves dont affect me down there. could i simply be allergic to the lubricant used on condoms?

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You won't get answers tonight, i say tonight cause i am in Australia and everyone else is sleeping.

I tried lube with my ex husband when we tried to get back together couple years ago, (bad mistake) another story.

And, I was red roar, sore, in pain, etc, etc...

So, possibly you are very "sensitive" ...

Why not try a birth control pill or method of safety if you feel your safe with your boyfriend "exclusively"?

And, foreplay more so that you don't need all that lube.

There are lubes and people will tell you what they use, where they have had simular problems.

Unfortunately or fortunately, I have never needed it, except that one time where I was concerned over, condoms...

But it seems to be a never ending nightmare for people and I am sure you will certainly get answers..

Be patient.

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Junior Member Array

i am also in australia CW, Brisbane, go aussies!

hehe.

i dont need lubricant, im very much so never EVER in need of lube (i get quite wet and am able to female orgasm), i was refering to the lubricant already on the condoms in the packet.

but i dont condoms at all now, i have the implanon

thanks again for the quick reply!

Blog Entries

HARDYHARHARHAR... Us Aussie huh? lol Not many of us on here but there are a few.

Well, problem solvered on that note then sweet.

Excepting that the condoms aren't helping you, have you spoken to a simple Chemist?

That may be a step as "embarrasing as it is" they have medical knowledge after all.

Put your sunnys on and just get and ask them.

CW

Blog Entries

Ooops how rude?

Sorry, I am an Adelaidian, South Australia.... Not that far away.. lol.

CW

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I'm usually very juicy and wet and easily aroused but when using a condom we usually have to use some lube. It just doesn't all work the same way for some reason.
    Yes you could be allergic to the lube and to the spermacide that comes in many condoms. The most likely culprit would be parabens. According to my dermatologist about 10% of the population is paraben sensitive and most don't know what is causing their problems.

When you read a label parabens are an "inactive" ingredient. They are a cheap preservative that went into heavy use in the 80's. There is methyl, propal, iso... all sorts of paraben. It's nasty stuff, breast tumors ore loaded with it. Researchers aren't sure yet if the tumor collects the paraben or if the paraben causes the tumor but why take a chance with it? It's been banned in many European countries. Start reading lables. you'll find it in toothpastes, shampoos, lotions, cosmetics, various skin care products, drugs, dishwashing soap, bath soap, even chap stick.

I'm very hyper sensitive to it and have to read every lable, sometimes I call manufacturers because they don't list the inactive ingredients. Yes it's in most lubes and spermaicides. I had used a diaphram for many years and to quit because the gel that goes in it has parabens. I couldn't get a sleep test because the goop used with the sensors is loaded with parabens. If you are sensitive you will have to avoid all contact with the stuff, than's getting easier because so many countries are banning it, it forcing manufacturers to find other way or go back what they did before the stuff became so widespread.

Like a food sensitivity, the "test" for many chemical sensitivities is to remove all contact for until all symptoms have passed and then to "test" by using something with lots of it. However, even this isn't always conclusive because sensitivities can be complex, there are things that don't usually bother me and then all at once day. I'll have a significant reaction. What happened was that contact with something sensitised my system and then I started reacting to other things. Bodies are amazing and complex, there are times that No One can figure out exactly what happened and hyper sensitivity is one of those areas. My own reaction starts with itching and flaking between the eyelid and brow, with itching and puffing eyes and then progresses to flaking, cracking and bleeding on my face and other areas. I look like a 90 yr old with leporsy. People will actually gasp and look away - its that bad and it had left some scaring. Not that most people would notice but it's there.

It's been years since I've had a full reaction. I am inflexible in my avoidance of parabens - I have to be. I can recognize the tell tale signs of a reaction starting and start on the benedryl and rereading lables in case something has "reformulated". Sometimes there are cross over reactions, they can be impossible to trace. I've had to resort to digging and using yucca root to shampoo my hair and wash with.

Try removing parabens from your life, for a couple months and see what happens. This will mean that people who touch you can't bring it into contact with you either. So if you bf uses lotion that has it, he could keep you sensitised. You need to give your hyper aroused immune system a chance to calm down. Allergies and hyper sentivities are an immune system response or inappropriate response and can make your life miserable. I can't pm you but I'm I'll list a few "safe" products here and you can go to my profile if you want more. Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion (many of their other products do have it) Origins products are completely paraben free, Rocky Mountain Sun Screen (paraben and PABA free and it actually works) I use Giovanni hair care products or John Masters Organics, some of the KY products are ok but not all, Astroglyde has a paraben free but you may have to order it. The larger adult shops should carry several types of paraben free lubes and the nice people who work there are usually happy to help you read lables.

Good luck with this! It takes some time to get a handle on but it's worht it for your quality of life.

Junior Member Array

Experimentation is really the only way to know for sure. Have you considered discussing this with your doctor? You can also try some of the natural, organic lubes on the market - they would be good for someone super sensitive!