Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should you use soap when washing your vagina?

Junior Member Array

Smile Should you use soap when washing your vagina?

Hi everyone - I am new to Women's Health and needed some help figuring out how other women wash their vagina during your daily shower. I have read similar posts, but they seeemd to be talking more about washing after sex - I was interested in what you use to wash yourself - soap, water, etc.

I have heard that you only need to wash yourself with water and have heard that others use soap. If you use soap, can you please recommend a brand and also try to explain which areas it is safe to apply soap to?

Thanks!

VIP Member Array

The best soaps to use for washing the vagina are those without dyes or perfumes. So, White Dove, Ivory - soaps of that nature clean well without causing irritation. This is what my gyno told me. Harsh soaps can cause yeast infections or vaginal itching. I have heard that the body cleans itself down there and all of that, but I believe soap is nice to make you feel really fresh after you shower or bathe...

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array Goodgirl93's Avatar

Well since recently recovering from a yeast infection from using PERFUME body wash,I do not recommend perfumes soaps by any means.Now I use a "Feminine Wash",Its a soap made just for the vaginal area and because I am sensitive to bar soaps,that is what I currently use,and it works fantastic.Just look for bottles of wash at the store that say "Gynecology tested" (or something along those lines) If your are lucky,unlike me,you may also use soaps such as dove,ivory,ect.

Although I am not very far along in my medical education, I have yet to hear any of my professors recommend to wash the vagina to 'clean' it. I would think that washing with soap regularly would wash away the natural flora of the vagina which would tend to increase the risk of getting an infection.

Just curious, do people regularly wash down there in order to keep it clean or just to feel better?

Just my two cents worth

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sensitive to soaps, so most of the time it's water and a washcloth. When I do use soap, it's sensitive/unscented and all that, and I use just enough.

I do douche once a month, after my period and only the vinegar/water one.

If you are determined to use soap, as Gigi said, mild feminine wash ones work the best. And don't was inside your vag, that will most likely be uncomfortable in the long run.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

Could you guys specify what areas you mean by "vagina?" Because that term encompasses ALL of it, the labia, inside, everything...

All my life I've washed with all sorts of soaps, but only the labia, and very gently, careful not to get soap inside.

Junior Member Array

Thanks everyone for the good feedback.

Cutedoctor - in response to your question, I just meant washing for everyday showering, not specifically before or after sex or just to feel clean, just meant in general!

Mes T - I guess I was curious about everything, if you wash just the outsides, insides, etc.

Junior Member Array

I use Johnson's Baby Wash. It is very mild and is ph balanced.

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I assume you are actually refering to your labia?
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

VIP Member Array

I just use the same soap as I do the rest of my body (and a washclothe).

I use bar soaps...without perfumes & for sensitive skin (because I have allergies anyway - so it seems to work all around)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast