Forum:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yeast Infection From Penicillin Antibiotics?

Unhappy Yeast Infection From Penicillin Antibiotics?

Ok, I have been researching ALOT, but needed some opinions on this first!

So I recently about a week ago finished a 10 day cycle of Penicillin antibiotics for my strep throat I had. I now all of a sudden 2 days ago have mild itching and some soreness here and there (on vagina). I had sex with my husband yesterday and it was not painful but once his "liquid" touched it...I was on fire for awhile. I have never had a yeast infection in my life and was wondering if these are the signs of it? And yes I would love to go to my gyno but my insurance just expired and I have to wait 30 days for my new employer's insurance to kick in. I was thinking about buying a bottle of Acidophilus to see how that works. I have some question though...

If I take the Acidophilus and I feel normal again then stop, will my infection come back or will the Acidophilus kill it for good and I wont have to take these capsules all my life?

Will the Acidophilus hurt me if I dont have a yeast infection?

(I have the Paraguard copper IUD-didnt know if this would make it worse because the string could hold bacteria???)

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array p3375's Avatar

the antibiotics killed off the 'bad' bacteria, but also killed 'good' bacteria and other organisms. Competition between these organisms inside us helps keep any single type from running wild and over multiplying. Sooo, when you take antibiotics, it's not unusual for this kind of thing to happen.

Once you're off the antibiotics, a normal flora of critters will re-establish and ballance will be restored. Try the acidophilus - can't hurt, may help. No, you don't have to keep using it forever. Just til you get a good diverse population of organisms back.
    (ain't biology fun!?)

Quote Originally Posted by p3375 View Post
    the antibiotics killed off the 'bad' bacteria, but also killed 'good' bacteria and other organisms. Competition between these organisms inside us helps keep any single type from running wild and over multiplying. Sooo, when you take antibiotics, it's not unusual for this kind of thing to happen.

Once you're off the antibiotics, a normal flora of critters will re-establish and ballance will be restored. Try the acidophilus - can't hurt, may help. No, you don't have to keep using it forever. Just til you get a good diverse population of organisms back.
    (ain't biology fun!?)
    Ya I was off the antibiotics a week ago and it just now started 2 days ago. So you think that this will go away on its own? And thank you for the response

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

Do you have any discharge?

I too have the copper IUD and I get yeast infections REALLY EASILY NOW. Garrrrrrrrrr. I have to make a decision down the line whether or not this constant battle is worth it.

But anyhoo, I would try out some home remedies to speed up the healing process. Eat plain yogurt and/or insert it into the vagina, and also eat fresh garlic if you can, to name a couple of methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes_T View Post
    Do you have any discharge?

I too have the copper IUD and I get yeast infections REALLY EASILY NOW. Garrrrrrrrrr. I have to make a decision down the line whether or not this constant battle is worth it.

But anyhoo, I would try out some home remedies to speed up the healing process. Eat plain yogurt and/or insert it into the vagina, and also eat fresh garlic if you can, to name a couple of methods.
    I have had discharge here and there all my life when I was close to period or "cleaning itself out". Now that I got the Paraguard, I dont believe there is a day I dont go without wetness . So to your question I dont even know if the discharge is from a yeast infection or the IUD both. Ya I love that I dont know its even there and no babies, but it makes me feel dirty all the time (I shower every night-have too now anyways) and it doesnt help with foreplay and oral with the husband

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

You should only worry about discharge if it's smelly. Does it have any odor?

From what you've said thus far it really doesn't sound like you have any sort of infection, just maybe an irritated vagina that will heal itself anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes_T View Post
    You should only worry about discharge if it's smelly. Does it have any odor?

From what you've said thus far it really doesn't sound like you have any sort of infection, just maybe an irritated vagina that will heal itself anyway.
    I seem to think it has a little bit of an odor but every woman I have talked too has agreed that their discharge is not smell-free either. I guess maybe I should keep washing good like I have been and if its not better at the end of this week, I will have to do something! (dont know what)

Junior Member Array

I took antibiotics for a horrible case of bronchitis i had, and for the first time i got a yeast infection. You start off sore and itchy, then it becomes incredibly itchy. you can have a yeast infection only on the outside of your vagina and not actually inside your vaginal canal. I never got diagnosed, i honestly just talked to my mom and did research.
    The discharge doesn't start immediately. After your itching gets sever it kicks in, you'll have a white chunky discharge and it does actually smell. Not a strong disgusting smell, it smells like yeast. Like, well lol ever baked bread? it smells like the bread before you go to bake it...yeasty. Do not have sex if you think you have a yeast infection, sex will make it travel inside of you. Which is fine if you take care of it, by getting some like vagasil or something. I only had mine on the outside, and it was gone in a few days. They say you shouldn't diagnose yourself, but sometimes you just can't afford it. So if I were you, I'd watch myself(don't wash yourself with scented soap! it'll make it worse) check every day for a thick, white chunky discharge(as disgusting as it sounds, people compare it to cottage cheese. i didn't think it was quite like that, but it was defiantly thick and abnormal) and you'll start smelling a faint smell of yeast. If this happens I'd buy a bottle of vagisil or whatever product you want and read the directions and use it exactly as it says. if you want, you could call your gyno office and ask to speak to a nurse. explain your situation with your insurance, and describe your symptoms and they'll be able to talk to your gyno and ask what you ought to do.

hope you feel better soon.=\

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array p3375's Avatar

anni said
    "Do not have sex if you think you have a yeast infection, sex will make it travel inside of you. "

Yep, that's true. It's also possible for your man to catch a yeast infection from you. I understand that is way painful for them. Or maybe they're just babies about a lil pain. Either way, another reason to lay off the bedroom antics 'til your clear.
    P

Junior Member Array

Default The Truth About Yeast Infections

Educating yourself about your candida infection is the first and most important step in curing this painful, annoying and relatively dangerous chronic condition and taking responsibility over your health and well-being.

Although yeast infection (known by the names of Candida, Monilia or Thrush) is in fact a very common condition, (as three out of four women develop it at some point in their lifetimes), it is little discussed. Most people regard candida infection as a ‘on the surface’ problem that should be treated with creams and antibiotics whereas few are aware of its potentially risky complications.

**Removed outbound links**How to Cure a Yeast Infection in women[/URL] is first and foremost an internal problem. Like most chronic conditions, there is never one cause for this fungal problem and thus yeast infection cannot be permanently eliminated using medications or creams that work superficially and fail to tackle the root factors that trigger the formation of candida infection in the first place.

The problem is that the majority of yeast infection sufferers choose to leave it in the hands of others: Doctors, pharmacists, drug and over the counter industries. They willingly choose NOT to take responsibility for their candida condition, for their health and for their own body.

If you suffer from yeast infection then you must have experienced the confusion stemmed from conflicting advice and from information overload. Honest information about vaginal yeast infection or any other type of candida infection is harder to come by than ever before, and nearly everyone has been misled at one time or another. I know I have. I wasted literally thousands of dollars on candida treatment programs that didn’t “work out” and anti-yeast infection products that didn’t do anything.

Furthermore, to successfully navigate through today’s jungle of misleading, dishonest and conflicting information, you're going to have to become a very shrewd and discriminating consumer.

There are in fact, alternative, cheap, safe, natural and holistic health practices and methods necessary to permanently eliminate the symptoms of this disease and cure the root internal cause of yeast infection regardless of its type, location, or level of severity.

To effectively overcome candida infection, you need to be aware of the real cause of yeast infection and be able to identify its symptoms. You need to know how to self-test and diagnose your candida condition, learn about the dietary principals needed to maintain a candida free environment and about the complimentary treatments that will help you battle against the negative effects and complications of your yeast infection.

By educating yourself about the steps you need to take in order to deal with your yeast infection condition and help your body heal itself and control the fungal overgrowth from the inside out you can and will eliminate the pain, annoyance, humiliation and frustration associated with this condition and feel more in control. Additionally, as a side benefits you’ll feel more energized, healthier and vibrant. You will enjoy improved digestion, enhanced vision, and healthier hair, skin and nails.

Discover how to cure candida and yeast infection at any age, even if you’ve tried everything and nothing has ever worked for you before.
    **Removed outbound links**
    Last edited by LanaBear; 03-30-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Removed outbound link

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast