Forum:

Thread: BV OR Misdiagnosis?

VIP Member Array

Default BV OR Misdiagnosis?

I notice a lot of women complaining about recurrence of or chronic bacterial vaginosis. This is a very commom diagnosis for women when the vaginal ph is too high- or sometimes when there is nothing else to call it because you have been tested for and cleared of every other vaginal issue known to man! Check out cytolytic vaginosois or lactobacillosis on the internet and see if the information there helps. Vaginal ph can be too low or sometimes normal but you can have an overflow of lactobacilli which will cause a lot of the same symtoms as BV. So all the acidophillus pills are actually adding to the problem.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

I've seen that online but it seems to be pretty rare. Most women who are diagnosed with BV have a swab taken which shows an overgrowth of other bacterias and not enough lactobacillus in the vagina so it's a pretty definite diagnosis. Anyone not sure could just get some PH strips and test to see if they are acidic or alkaline instead.

VIP Member Array

I did not mean that BV is not a definite diagnosis. It is a definite diagnosis when it matches the proper criteria- as with any other diagnosis. However I have talked to and seen many stories of women with vaginal discharge (with or without offensive odor) and or vulvar inflammation, pelvic pain and vaginal swelling. Women that go to countless doctors countless times and have normal vaginal ph and negative test results for STDS- but are treated for BV anyway! Why??! There is a pattern of symptoms here that for whatever reason are being misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all! One woman said her discharge went away by accident after 3 yrs when she was put on Pennicillin for a totally different reason than the discharge. Another woman said it went away after taking Erythromycin for an ear infection. These I can fairly understand due to the fact that antibiotics can affect the vaginal flora. But yet another woman said an antihistamine she started taking resloved her vaginal symptoms completely. Why? Doctors don't even have the answers we seek. So why not self treat with home remedies? Aside from the fact that some sound very dangerous, what choice are we left with? It is soooo frustrating! I am beginning to wonder if the standard for vaginal ph is indicative for every woman. Could the vaginal ph actually be as individual as the woman herself? I don't know- I wish I did!