Forum:

Thread: Doc said was very red inside vagina but no yeast infection has shown up, panicing

Junior Member Array

Default Doc said was very red inside vagina but no yeast infection has shown up, panicing

I recently went to see doc about pain during intercourse (only first had sex very recently) and very very irregular, and frequent periods. I was worried it must be either cervical, uterus or vaginal cancer. She did a quick internal exam and said I looked very red internally (inside vagina) and there looked like there was white discharge. She said this looked like a yeast infection and did a test, despite me saying i had no itching or pain or any other symtoms usually associated.

The test has come back today clear of a yeast infection! So now Im in a flap why on earth am I very red internally and what else could this be a sign of??? Vaginal cancer? Would the swab test she didn have identified if it was cancer or if they were only looking for a yeast infection is this all they would have tested for?

She didnt give me much info on the pain during intercourse or irregular periods bar make another appointment to see your own doc (this was a diff doc i saw). I have made another appointment but its not till the 1st Sept, as this is next one available!

VIP Member Array

Take a deep breath. Sounds like an infection, not cancer. Why so quick to jump the gun and think that's what it is? It possible it could be something like BV (bacterial vaginosis) since also gives off a white discharge and any sort of infection is going to irritate the area and make it red.

Does the discharge have any sort of odor? Does it smell like fish or have a sour smell to it? Something else you can do is buy a Vagisil screening kit to test the pH of the vagina. Higher pH is also usually associated with bacterial issues and lower for yeast, though I would think your doctor would have tested your pH. She should have if she didn't. The doctor also should have taken the swab and looked at it under a microscope to say BV or Yeast, in addition to sending out the culture for growth. What exactly did your doctor do?

Any chance of an STD? I'd get screened for all that just to be safe. How old are you? Hormonal imbalances can show themselves as highly irregular periods, frequent periods, profuse discharge, etc. as well, so that's something to consider. When you say your periods are irregular and frequent what time frame are we looking at? How often is everything happening or not happening? Depending on your age and answers to the above questions, I may recommend seeing an obgyn that specializes in endocrinology, as they would be able to help you with issues about your cycle.

VIP Member Array

Wanted to add answers to your other questions about the way they scan for cancer. I don't think it'd just show up on a swab, esp. if they aren't looking for it. Cervical cancer is determined by doing a papsmear and other types I believe are done by biopsies and probably ultrasounds. But again, unless you've had a history of abnormal paps, this sounds more like some sort of infection.

Junior Member Array

Its def not an STD, only had sex maybe 5 or 6 times with same person and always used a condom.

My doc did an internal examination where she felt inside my vagina with a finger, which hurt quite a bit, should it? She then had a quick look and said that inside my vagina looked quite red, and said she had noticed some white discharge inside, so she said itl be thrush and then she took a sab with a cotton bud, and told me she would leave a prescription if my test results did show thrush. She never mentioned any other type of infection. As soon as she took the swab she put it in a glass specimen jar and popped it inside a white bag, suck a label on and told me to put it in the samples postbox in reception. So she didnt look at anything under microscop, so not sure if she just tested for yeast infections or not. When the receptionist gave me my results over phone, she just said 'ah yes, a yeast infection right, well all clear, no sign of a yeast infection'.

I havent noticed discharge really, I didnt go regarding that so was suprised it was mentioned, I was very suprised at anything seeming red and have no symptoms of an infection other than the redness internally she mentioned. No itching, no discharge that seems excessive to me, no pain other than during sex, no irritation on urination and no smell.

Im 26, and my periods have always been as irregular as they are since I started periods at age 10. By irregular I mean they differ in how far apart they are each time (shortest gap was about 4 days and longest 9 weeks), how heavy they are each time (from traces of blood in discharge to fairly heavy), to how long they last (from 5 to 14 days). I've never been on the pill or any other kind of hormonal birth control. Last 5 periods, they have consisted of thick dark brown discharge for about 6 days each time, with one day of bright red blood in discharge at very beginning which was very light. My latest period was 5 days of thick brown discharge and then 8 days of normal bright red bleeding. First two periods were two weeks aprt but gap between last three has been only 6 days gap.

Never gave periods a second thought, until recently read an article. The article went on to define abnormal bleeding as including periods lasting more than 7 days which ive had for the last two periods, as well as numerous times over the years, it also defined it as including more than one period in a month, and again ive had this: theres only been 2 weeks to 1 week between my recent periods, and again ive had them this close together numerous times over the years! Also, the article worried me tha maybe what I think are close together periods is actually my period a short gap of a week, spotting and then my period! When I mentioned them eing this irregular in passing a while ago, my doc said Im fine as I dont have any other symptoms of cancer such as extreme tiredness, weighloss, pains etc, but there are loads of stories of cervical cancer with virtually no symptoms!

Ive never had a smear test, as was a virgin until 3 months ago.

Just lost what this redness she mentions is?? She hasnt addressed the issue of the irregular periods all she said was, sounds hormonal with those symtoms in your 20s.

My mum keeps saying shouldnt worry, but need reassurance since have to wait 2 weeks for next docs appointment.
    Last edited by louise123; 08-19-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Junior Member Array

Hi, I also experienced almost similar problem. It went on for about a week after seeing a doctor who gave me antibiotics which didn't work.and then i went to the phamacist who gave me a pill to insert inside my vagina.It worked. I have infections now and then. And i have been browsing through the net and i came accross this site **Removed outbound link** you can copy and paste it on your browser. They are full of advise they tell you things to do and it to cure infections for good. It might be worth your while.
    Last edited by LanaBear; 08-20-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

VIP Member Array

Internal exams will always hurt more than usual when you have an infection because the area is irritated/extra sensitive. Most of the time I can't tolerate getting an exam. I will sit there and bawl my eyes out it hurts so bad. Before my infection from came along, it was a bit uncomfortable, but it didn't hurt.

Your doc definitely should have looked under the microscope, not just sent a swab out. They can tell a lot more information from looking at the specimen most of the time, because sometimes (as in my case) nothing may grow out but bacteria or yeast could still be causing the problem.

As far as everything else, since you are now sexually active, it is a good idea to start getting your annual pap. Most people have HPV at some point in their life and don't even know it. It isn't always harmful; really depends on your body's ability to fight off the virus.

Anyway, from personal experience, it kind of sounds like you have BV. There isn't always discharge with it, but pain with insertion (like having sex) is a symptom. Either way, whatever it is is obviously having an impact on your lady part and irritation shows itself in redness/being swollen.

You really ought to go see an endocrinologist for the issues with your periods as that sounds a bit abnormal. It's normal to get the brown discharge, old blood making it's way out, but it sounds like yours are too far apart and sometimes too close together. In addition to checking out hormonal things and ruling out things like PCOS, this sort of doctor is also a gyno and can probably help you more with the irritation.