Forum:

Thread: D&C,endometriosis,same day surgery ?'s

Junior Member Array

Question D&C,endometriosis,same day surgery ?'s

Well I originally posted here about horrible lower abdominal pain.I have also had extremely heavy and painful monthly periods the past 2 months.They found a small cyst on my ovary as well as an enlarged uterus.I went to the gyno today and he said he isnt conerned about the cyst but that he did a pap test and wants me to come back in 2 weeks after they get the results of that and after I have had my period.He said that if my periods continue to be as be as heavy and painful as they have been and/or if the pain returns he wants to do a D&C and a surgical procedure where they make an incision in my belly button and put a scope through it to see if everything looks ok.He said this would also show if I had endometriosis and that they would take samples and have themchecked as well.The dr said that if I'm not having anymore children he could do a tubalagation at the same time.Do any of you have any thoughts or advice on this?? what the belly button procedure is called and what I should expect afterwards if I need to go with this?Thank you so much

Junior Member Array

i had a d& c 10 years ago.It didnt do a thing for me. last august i had cryosurgery, where they freeze the lining of your uterus. It was done in the doctors office in less than 30 minutes and not at all painful!! No down time either other than that day i was a little crampy. A few days after the procedure the lining of the uterus "sheds". That lasts about 2 to 3 weeks. So far so good!! my periods are shorter and not as painful. Ask your doc about it. but it is not reccommened if you plan to have more children.good luck
    Last edited by womens-health; 04-20-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: personal email address is not allowed in posts

I know it has been a while since this orignally posted but I am new. How did your surgery go? I suffer severly from endometriosis. I had the same procedure where they make an incision into your belly button and they lasered off the endometriosis around my uterus. I had the procedure almost two years ago and I am in more pain now than I was before the procedure. I take Seasonal so I only have my period every 3 months but when I do have it I have to take perscription pain medication and that doesn't help much. Is anyone else suffering this bad? Are there any other options? I do not have children so my doc will not consider a historectomy even though I have no plans for children.

Junior Member Array

Smile dear "incontrol"

Quote Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
    I know it has been a while since this orignally posted but I am new. How did your surgery go? I suffer severly from endometriosis. I had the same procedure where they make an incision into your belly button and they lasered off the endometriosis around my uterus. I had the procedure almost two years ago and I am in more pain now than I was before the procedure. I take Seasonal so I only have my period every 3 months but when I do have it I have to take perscription pain medication and that doesn't help much. Is anyone else suffering this bad? Are there any other options? I do not have children so my doc will not consider a historectomy even though I have no plans for children.
    u poor girl! i went through endometriosis for 5 years of my life. it was horrible. the only thing that cured my endo was a hysterectomy. i had to have surgery 3X to relieve the pain of endo before i finally gave up and had the hysterectomy. i do not have endo anymore, but being surgically thrust into menopause is no picnic either. if you have the patience, you CAN find a dr who will perform the hysterectomy. you can also have some eggs taken and frozen so that you still have the option of motherhood. but there are a few things you should go ahead and prepare yourself for before you have your hysterectomy.
    > u will have to take hormone replacement therapy. for - e - ver
    > u may have to try a few times before you find the hormone replacement that works best for you. i take premarin because it fights osteoporosis.
    > the term "hot flash" is very polite. a hot flash feels like you are burning up from the inside.you will want to take off running just to feel the breeze on your face and you will also want to shed your clothing. once you find the proper hrt (see above) the hot flashes are rare and not so severe
    > the "night sweats" sometimes get their days-n-nights mixed up !
    > dress in layers when you will be in public( or at the office) so that you may adapt to your changing body temp w/out calling a lot of attention to urself
    > the losing sexual desire thing is different for every one. i truly believe it depends on the individual. and your dr can help with that if and when the times comes that you feel a drop in desire or pleasure.
    > a few years after the hyst'y, you will begin to feel loss of strength and stamina. take your vitamins and calcium with vitamin D.
    > "mood swings" is another polite phrase.
    i am afraid that endometriosis is a disease with only one way out. but even though menopause is bad in many ways....i would not change it for the world. i have not had a period in nine years. no cramps, no changing the pads / tampons. no worries about blood showing through my clothes, no birth control, no frieking out 'cause u forgot to take your birth control !, and best of all, no more pain.

WH Super Moderator Array sourpuss's Avatar

I have had the same surgery for endo. I can't say as it helped much. My periods seem lighter and shorter and a bit less painful but I don't know if that was due to the surgery or just something that has gotten better over time.
    I have tried literally everything. The surgery, all different B/C pills, Midol, the heat pad, vigorous exercise, acupuncture, changing my diet....you get the idea. Nothing seemed to work in the long term. Right now I'm on a dose of all kinds of herbs and vitamins, this is my last resort.

I have to say that it's not nearly as bad as it was 10 years ago, but I still get the extreme cramps the first day. Cramps, sweats, nausea, diarhea, aches and pains over my entire body....basically a painful flu once a month. I also have bad PMS the weeks leading up to my period.

Being a woman sure suck sometimes. But I don't think I'm at the point where I'm ready for a hysterectomy.

Junior Member Array

I had a D & C and laparoscopy 2 weeks ago for endometriosis for the 3rd time. I went back today for a post op and the Dr. said my uterus was thickening and put me on a hormone for 6 mo then if that doesnt help he wants to do a hystro in order to decrease the chance of cancer. I dont really want the hystro because of the mood swings, etc but I dont know what other options I have. My husband wants me to have the hystro because he is afraid I will get cancer. Could someone tell me How and why do they freeze the uterus? And could this be an option for me?

Default i feel your pain

Endometriosis is a horrible thing to live with. The key word is LIVE. There are several medical procedures out there that do not involve taking your insides out. I have a wonderful doctor who is keeping me intact at all costs. Did you know that the more D&C surgeries that you have, the more scar tissue forms. Did you know that scar tissue can be as or more painful than endometrial lesions? There are a lot of medications out there that some of the other women have mentioned also. I have very heavily researched all of these and would love to share my info with others. Please don't give up. It can be a very depressing and painful disease to live with. DO NOT LET THEM TAKE YOUR INSIDES!! Please feel free to contact me with any questions or info.

WH Super Moderator Array sourpuss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmagirl View Post
    I had a D & C and laparoscopy 2 weeks ago for endometriosis for the 3rd time. I went back today for a post op and the Dr. said my uterus was thickening and put me on a hormone for 6 mo then if that doesnt help he wants to do a hystro in order to decrease the chance of cancer. I dont really want the hystro because of the mood swings, etc but I dont know what other options I have. My husband wants me to have the hystro because he is afraid I will get cancer. Could someone tell me How and why do they freeze the uterus? And could this be an option for me?
    I've never heard of freezing the uterus. The cervix, yes, but uterus no. It was my understanding that they froze the cervix to kill abnormal cell growth that leads to cancer. But as far as I know this isn't caused by endo.

Sorry, I probably just confused you more.

December 2007 "Poster of the Month" Array

It's called cryoablation or cryotherapy. It's actually freezing the lining of the uterus in an effort to kill off diseased or pre-cancerous cells. I don't know much about it, but this link has some detailed info. You can also do a web search for those two topics.

http://en.wikipedi********/wiki/Endometrial_cryoablation

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by alibaby; 11-09-2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add more relevant info

Junior Member Array

Well, first of all there are many different types of hysterectomies! First of all if you are still premenopausal you can choose to have you ovaries left, this will stop you from having hormone replacement. You can also just have the uterus taken and leave the cervix. To me, one who has fibroids with abdnormal bleeding, is choosing to have a hyster. They will leave my ovaries, so i do not go into immediate menopause. To me there is no downside... No more children, No more periods, No more pain...... Ask for different options! Also ask if there is a chance of reoccurance, from what I have heard is that one surgery of the chyro will not totally fix it, how much of you life and sex life are you willing to give up? Hysterectomy is NOT the end of the world! J