Forum:

Thread: Pelvic ultrasound?:( :confused:

Junior Member Array

Unhappy Pelvic ultrasound?:( :confused:

So I've had irregular periods, sometimes i get them more than once in a month and have been experiencing pain with tampons occasionally. I saw my doctor today and i have to go for a pelvic ultrasound.I'm kind of nervous about it, it sounds like it's going to be pretty uncomfortable...all i can imagine is me with a bladder the size of a ball and someone pressing on it. What if i pee myself ?:| Maybe i'm just being silly, can someone who's had one tell me how it goes and what exactly would they be looking for?

Junior Member Array

I had to have a pelvic ultrasound last year because my doctor couldn't feel my ovaries good enough. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. For an external exam they will have you lower your pants to your hips, you lie on your back and they put jel on your stomach. Then they press on your lower stomach with the ultrasound to get a look at your reproductive organs. I was fighting off a urinary infection, so I was also worried about having an accident, but I didn't have any problems at all. You will feel presure, but no pain. If you have an internal exam, you will be allowed to use the bathroom. You then take off your clothes from the waist down, drap yourself with a sheet and put your feet into stirups. They insert a wand shaped device about 3 inches into your vagina. They do move it around a little, but it doesn't hurt. It's just a little embarasing. The wand is really only slightly bigger than a large tampon. The good thing is that the technician is to your side and looking at her screen the whole time, so it's not as invasive as a vaginal exam. Good luck!

Junior Member Array

I just recently had this done.It was exactly as Annie explained.It didnt hurt at all.In my case they were checking for possible cysts on my ovaries because of severe lower abdominal pain I have been having.They ended up finding a cyst and also my uterus is slightly enlarged.With the intervaginal ultrasound it gives them a much better look at things..ovaries,your uterus etc.Hope all goes ok for you..let me know how it turns out.

Junior Member Array

Default exactly...

i just had this done a few weeks back and it wasnt painfull, and the technician was very polite and gentle and explained everything. it can see alot more than the regular ultrasound for sure. good luck!
    jamie

VIP Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by april~rain View Post
    So I've had irregular periods, sometimes i get them more than once in a month and have been experiencing pain with tampons occasionally. I saw my doctor today and i have to go for a pelvic ultrasound.I'm kind of nervous about it, it sounds like it's going to be pretty uncomfortable...all i can imagine is me with a bladder the size of a ball and someone pressing on it. What if i pee myself ?:| Maybe i'm just being silly, can someone who's had one tell me how it goes and what exactly would they be looking for?
    Hi my is Jill Closs I had several pelvic ultrasound they were checking to see if I
    have any cysts. All of my test came back negative. I was scared the first time too after it was done and over with it was not that bad after all. If you would feel better you are more then happy to call me and we can talk more about it and you having the pelvic ultrasound done. My phone number is (949) 215-2677.

Thanks Jill Closs

Junior Member Array

Thanks for all the info guys
    My doctor didn't really say much to me about it and I hadn't told me about so I was freaking myself out with this whole thing. I think they're only doing transabdomenal, not sure....I'm still pretty nervous but you all helped, now i know what to expect and i'm getting my big sis to come with me.

Junior Member Array

todays the day :|
    I'm actually pretty nervous..i'll tell you all how it goes...