Forum:

Thread: Tampons are suddenly painful to use...

Question Tampons are suddenly painful to use...

Recently tampons have been painful to use during my period. They hurt going in, coming out and also while they're inside. I've used tampons for close to twelve years now and so I know how to use them properly and I've never come across this situation. I'm using the same brand as always and the correct size for flow control. The only thing different is that my flow seems to be more heavy and contain a greater amount of clots.
    To explain, its uncomfortable to insert the applicator even before I push in the tampon. When I push in the tampon, it feels as if there is an obstruction and I can't push it in at all. This is accompanied by shooting pains in my abdominal region. I can feel the tampon inside me when I'm doing normal activities and it is uncomfortable to sit and even walk at times. Taking it out is just as painful.
    I noticed this during my last period and it has become worse this time around. I've tried researching to figure out what could be the cause, but have found no answers.
    So, my question is... does anyone know what could be the problem? I would appreciate any advice/thought. Thanks!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array ManINeedACoffee's Avatar

Are you sure you don't have an infection of some kind?

What sort of pain is it - a scratchy, irritating, "oh-god-there's-a-dry-wad-of-cotton-in-there" kind, or is it pressure, throbbing, etc?

I did have a bladder infection last month right before my period started. I went to the doctor and they gave me antibiotics. I ended up getting a yeast infection from the antibiotics. I used the over-the-counter three night cream treatment. I believe both have cleared up, because I do not show any signs of still having either of them.

As for the pain, it feels like a lot of pressure. Sorta like when a fresh tampon isn't in far enough. My first thought when experiencing the pain was that I had put in a clean tampon without taking the soiled one out first. I checked, there was only one. lol Its a constant dull ache while the tampon is in and when I put it in or pull it out, its a stabbing pain in the lower abdomen and in and around the opening of my vagina. There's no scratching or throbbing. A few minutes after removing the tampon I feel completely fine. No lingering pain or pressure or anything.

Do you think that this could be caused by a lingering bladder or yeast infection?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array ManINeedACoffee's Avatar

Hrm..I honestly have no idea. Have you asked your doctor?

Personally I really do think you should make a further appointment to see your doctor/gyno as soon as possible, if only to be on the safe side.
    Come what may count your blessings

Junior Member Array

I would go to the doctors. When was your last full "female" check-up?

I haven't talked to the doctor yet. Im trying to make an appointment for next week. My last checkup was this January. Thanks for all your advice.

Junior Member Array

Did you get a diagnosis for the issues you were having? You are describing my symptoms to a T and I wanted to ask if you were able to find a cure or reason for the pain.

Thanks so much for sharing.

VIP Member Array

Would also be interested. Tampons suddenly started hurting for me maybe two years ago? When I put in the applicator Im ok. when I go to push the tampon out of the applicator is like I'm pushing it into a brick wall and it hurts. So bad Ive had watery eyes and water to cry. But the it moves to the left or right and the pain subsides a bit. I thought I had a cyst or something because I can feel a lump. When I told my sister who is also becoming a doctor, she said I'm probably feeling my cervix. Most everyone online says its my cervix.
    I've read online that if it's bigger during whatever Time around my period and goes away after whatever time after my period then the lump is definitely my cervix. But why would it hurt so bad. Not only does it hurt for tampons to go and stay in, sex hurts in positions (like doggy style when I can feel its getting hit. Literally have to stop everything right then and there because the pain is too much). I can also feel the tampon inside. Especially when I sit down or stand up. Feels like it is being pushed against a wall again. It sucks :[