Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow urine flow

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array chaya's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Slow urine flow

My urine flow is really slow. If I have a full bladder it takes up to a minute to completely empty it. Also, if I have to go real bad it is hard to get started. This is something that came on slowly, over months so I didn't realize it. I know it wasn't that way before I got married, then I had a strong stream and could empty in a few seconds. I realized that something was wrong when I go between classes. Often if my next class is a long walk and I only have a minute or so to use the toilet. I hear other women in the stalls next to me that go in a few seconds sometimes 2 or 3 will go while I'm still there going. I don't like to sit on the seat so I hover and it takes so long to go that my legs get tired before I finish.

Could being sexual active have caused this? My husband is large and sometimes causes me pain when we have sex. I'm diabetic and have had UTI's so I know the symptoms and I don't have any UTI symptoms now. If I have to go to the doctor, would a GYN be the doctor to see?

Do not miss the opportunity of offering
    even a single drop into the ocean of merit or
    a grain atop the mountain of the roots of beneficial activity.

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

It definitely sounds bladder related, and in that case you'll most likely have to see a Uroligist. But it wouldn't hurt to first talk to your OBGYN and see if they want to examine or refer you. They will probably want to do a urine test to check for infection.

I highly doubt this is related to intercourse. But we're all different, so your doctor would be best to tell you that.

I'm concerned about the pain. At one time you couldn't get enough, and now you're talking frequently about this pain caused during sex. Are you letting him know he's hurting you? Does it hurt every time?

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

Blog Entries

I went to my GYN yesterday. I explained that it takes me forever to empty my bladder. She took urine, blood and swab samples. She also took a biopsy on an area of my cervix that might be a bruise. Then she did an exam, she suspected that I had interstitial cystitis and/or a UTI. She called me just now and informed me that it wasn't a UTI, my urine sample was clean. She is making me an appointment with a urologist. In the meantime she wants me to avoid deep penetrative sex. This will be hard considering the anatomy of my husband. I am considering telling I'm having problems. I know this will upset him, he is already under a lot of stress from his work.

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

He will ALWAYS be under stress at work. It's part of being a cop. I'm sure he'd be even more stressed to find out he's hurting you and you're keeping it from him, yet resenting him for it in your heart.

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

WH Super Moderator Array caterpillar79's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've had frequent UTI's and slow urine flow and it was disappointing. I was checked by a urologist at that time but my urinalysis didn't show any problems. I, however, demanded to undergo ultrasound, and sure enough, I have lithiasis on my left kidney (kidney stone) and it was .1 mm . I had to take potassium supplement to melt it and at the same time, I went vegetarian - I just thought it would be more helpful. Cut the story short, I passed the stone, but I have to watch religiously as I was warned by the doc that I might be a chronic stone former - I found out it runs in the family.

I hope you find your cure for this soon, dear.
    What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility. - Leo Tolstoy

The clearest explanation for failure of any marriage is that two people are incompatible; that is, one is male and the other female. - Anna Quindlen

Register! | Rules/FAQ |Contact Mod| Contact Admin

Blog Entries

I stopped eating meat almost over 2 months ago. Do you think going vegetarian has anything to do with it? This slow urination could have started then, maybe eating so much beans and tofu is causing stones?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

id tell your husband! we are both cops and you need to keep the human touch at home.... it can be stressful however if you cut him off from your life it wont be good. im sure he will understand

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chaya View Post
    I stopped eating meat almost over 2 months ago. Do you think going vegetarian has anything to do with it? This slow urination could have started then, maybe eating so much beans and tofu is causing stones?
    In my browsing online (source: MedicineNet), I learned that "chronic diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure (hypertension) are also associated with an increased risk of developing kidney stones". Also, diet can also play a role.

According to the same source, "dietary practices that may increase an individual's risk of forming kidney stones include a high intake of animal protein, a high-salt diet, excessive sugar consumption, excessive vitamin D supplementation, and possible excessive intake of oxalate-containing foods such as spinach. Interestingly, low levels of dietary calcium intake may alter the calcium-oxalate balance and result in the increased excretion of oxalate and a propensity to form oxalate stones".

I don't think tofu and beans are so much of a factor compared to animal protein. However, it depends on how your body metabolizes it, plus your fluid intake, since dehydration, frequent urinary tract infection, and pregnancy (due to increased level of progesterone) can also exacerbate the situation.
    Last edited by caterpillar79; 11-30-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility. - Leo Tolstoy

The clearest explanation for failure of any marriage is that two people are incompatible; that is, one is male and the other female. - Anna Quindlen

Blog Entries

Yesterday I had to pee when I got home from school. I sat there for 15 minutes but couldn't go. When my husband got home 4 hours later I still couldn't go and was in a lot of pain from an overfilled bladder. He took me to the ER. The first thing they did was an ultrasound of my bladder. The doctor said I had 3 large bladder and 2 smaller bladder stones. They were the reason I couldn't go. They used a catheter and got out 25 ounces of urine. They said the stones would have to be removed.

I stayed in the hospital overnight with the catheter still in and they did the operation this morning. They used a cystoscope with a TV, stone crusher and laser. He put me to sleep and it took about an hour. After he explained that they broke up the stones with the crusher and laser then flushed out the pieces through the cystoscope but there might still be some small pieces still in there. They should pass with normal urine flow. They gave me a large glass of bad tasting stuff to drink and said I might be able to go home after I urinated. When I did go it hurt so much I was screaming but the nurse said I had to completely empty my bladder. Then they wanted me to drink another dose and wait to go again beause the first time was so painful. The second time it hurt bad when I started to go then wasn't so bad after. They game me antibiotics and 2 kinds of pain pills. I have to go back tomorrow for a check up but I feel a lot better now. Now when I go it gushes out real fast like it used to. But I think I am leaking a little bit all the time, doctor said this might happen and should stop in a few days. I only had panty liners so Hubby had to go out and buy me some super napkins. I would loved to have watched him checking out with them at Target.

Blog Entries

Glad you're safe, dear. Praying for your fast recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast