Forum:

Thread: I'm afraid to get a pap smear

Default I'm afraid to get a pap smear

Ok I know it's embarrassing but I am really afraid to get a pap smear. I am sexually active and need to go see my doctor to get one.

Last time she tried to do it I freaked out because I thought it really hurt
    I felt like a retard. Is it always painful for women? Like every single yearly examination?

Junior Member Array

****removed outbound link**** Information on digestive problems, systemic yeast (candida) infection, and candida diet[/url] ?? because of your last post, and this one... I would recommend seeing a doctor or irodologist.
    Last edited by KMonte85; 07-24-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: outbound links are not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by gettingclean View Post
    ********removed outbound link******** Information on digestive problems, systemic yeast (candida) infection, and candida diet[/url] ?? because of your last post, and this one... I would recommend seeing a doctor or irodologist.
    Um ok?

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

yeah, I'm not sure what gettingclean was getting at there. Fear of a pap smear is not on the same line as appetite issues. Perhaps this member just misunderstood what you were asking.

It's definitely not a super comfortable procedure, but I don't think it generally hurts very bad... just some pressure and almost a pinch-y type feelings. I go once a year as part of my yearly physical.

But yes, you definitely should go and get checked out! Don't let your embarrassment or discomfort with it stop you! It's a very important part of women's health and can actually save your life, should something be abnormal!
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Junior Member Array

oops I posted a link to a site about candida... you can research it online. it affects/effects? the digestive tract and the vagina. I am not saying that is what you have but keep a journal of all you symptoms so when you see a doctor he can better help you

(sorry moderator for the link in the previous post, my bad)
    Last edited by gettingclean; 07-24-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

You need to find a doctor that will be patient with you. There is nothing to be afraid of, and I know I don't look forward to my yearly, but it needs to be done. Have you considered asking a trusted friend/family member to go in with you to help keep you distracted?

November 2011 Poster of the Month Array
    Blog Entries

It's not so bad. I think the worst part is the icky feeling after! (They use lube)... lol. Just let her/him know that you've never had one before, I'm sure they'll take it slow.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

For me, its not the exam itself that makes me uncomfortable. Its the person doing it, I get very uncomfortable because I dont know that person. Its an extremely intimate position your sitting in with this complete stranger pushing around on you.
    A lot of my fear regarding that area was pretty well obliterated when I gave birth to my now 6 month old son.

I do agree with the other posters though, it is necessary and will keep you healthy in the long run. I don't enjoy it, but it comes along with being a woman.

If you're woman enough for sex you need to be woman enough to go to the doctor and know your body.

That being said I always gift myself a small reward afterward.